SASS Wire Forum

Watching where you're going

Alpo

If you were chasing someone through a cornfield, with head high corn stalks, would you be looking at them, or would you be looking at the ground in front of your feet?

TV show. These two kids are playing tag in the cornfield, and the chaser is not looking at the boy he's chasing, he's looking at the ground . My first thought was that was pretty stupid. He should be watching who he's chasing, so he stays chasing him and doesn't go off on a tangent. Then I thought about furrows and hills and stalks in the way. Maybe he should be looking at where he's going.

Never having played in a cornfield, I have no actual experience. So I brought it here.

If running with the rows keep running and watch ahead. 
If running against the rows (sideways) one would look down to assure footing but also keep looking up so one doesn’t get brained by an ear of corn. :lol:

Believe me. Getting a face full of an ear of corn on a dead run will definitely ring one’s bell. :lol:

I've chased a running child molester through a corn field, you do both until the K9 shows up...

As Pat said, look down if crossing the rows.  Modern row cropping keeps good rows.  There will be washout and animal holes.  Kids ankles are agile enough to compensate for those, adults may want to look down now and then.

Crossing the rows is the danger zone.  Running into a fallen stock is like running into a loft stringer.

Archived