SASS Wire Forum

Ruger completes Marlin purchase

Houston CAS

Plans to introduce Ruger lever rifles "in latter half of 2021." 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/12/01/ruger-marlin-assets/?fbclid=IwAR2uQ_58Y1-TwuOTaYyshJb5qsi7MeLU2q-dZ65ebdpkXZW90AFyuNuf_bg

Here's to a Ruger 1894 on my Christmas list next year.

Something confuses me.

Ruger stated that one of the reasons they wanted to purchase Marlin was because of the historical 'stuff' that Marlin was

famous for.

But eh,  Ruger has also made some classic and historical firearms but refuses to make them again.   I just don't understand

their reasoning on all this.

Why don't they make the .256 'Hawkeye' again?   How about the Blackhawk in .30 carbine?

And how about the .44 semi-auto carbine from years back.

..........Widder

That .44 mag semi auto carbine was a neat rifle but is had a lot of jamming problems.  I'd like Ruger to run another batch of Old Armys.  I'd like a pair of SS 4 5/8" barrels with fixed sites.   And I'd like them priced like they were when they stopped production. 

39 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Something confuses me.

Ruger stated that one of the reasons they wanted to purchase Marlin was because of the historical 'stuff' that Marlin was

famous for.

But eh,  Ruger has also made some classic and historical firearms but refuses to make them again.   I just don't understand

Why don't they make the .256 'Hawkeye' again?   How about the Blackhawk in .30 carbine?

..........Widder

I'm assuming Ruger saw an opportunity to get into the "established" lever gun business without reinventing the wheel or having to market a "new" for Ruger firearm.

Name and legacy - not technology, equipment or inventory.

As for Rugers historical firearms:

The 256 Hawkeye was made for one year - I doubt Ruger acknowledges its existence.  ;)

Handguns in 30 carbine are a novelty at best and the Blackhawk so chambered is far surpassed by the same gun in 357magnum. 

Combine ammo cost and availability - very little reason to continue with 30 carbine (and I like 30 carbine; it is a nifty little round - but it is what it is).

And the 44 carbine - Ruger has tried this a couple times - for some reason; they don't seem to sell. 

Whereas carbines in pistol calibers do.

15 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Something confuses me.

famous for.

..........Widder

Ruger still has the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine listed on it's website:  https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/0505.html

I have one, it  is fun, but it doesn't serve much of a practical purpose for me since I don't hunt.

16 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Something confuses me.

famous for.

..........Widder

updated .357 MAX Blackhawk!

Also, a 357 mag version of the deerfield carbine would be awesome, and probably very ammo sensitive.  

21 hours ago, Houston CAS said:

Plans to introduce Ruger lever rifles "in latter half of 2021." 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/12/01/ruger-marlin-assets/?fbclid=IwAR2uQ_58Y1-TwuOTaYyshJb5qsi7MeLU2q-dZ65ebdpkXZW90AFyuNuf_bg

Here's to a Ruger 1894 on my Christmas list next year.

Hmm... Wonder if the receivers on the "New Marlin" Rugers will be investment castings? Might help cut down production costs, although tooling costs would have to be amortized.  Wonder if they will chamber some of them in .44-40? 

Stay well and safe, Pards!

I would be happy to see them just put out some quality leverguns, hopefully with a better carrier. Have the cowboy models with octagon barrels and 44-40 offered. Start with that. Anything more after that would be nice but just get the levergun manufacturing perfected first.

4 hours ago, Chantry said:

Ruger still has the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine listed on it's website:  https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/0505.html

I have one, it  is fun, but it doesn't serve much of a practical purpose for me since I don't hunt.

Ah, but it does have a practical purpose. I use it and his wildly louder brother, AMT Automag III, to coax the folks on either side of me at the range to relocate. Works every time.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Ah, but it does have a practical purpose. I use it and his wildly louder brother, AMT Automag III, to coax the folks on either side of me at the range to relocate. Works every time.

I find the .30 Carbine Blackhawk fairly quiet compared to my 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk with hot hand loads.  :lol:

21 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Something confuses me.

famous for.

..........Widder

Yes to that Big Brother of 10/22.

13 hours ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

Isn’t the Ruger pcc just a version of the .44 semi auto

No, the Ruger PCC is a conventional blowback operated rifle.  The original .44 semi- auto (the tube fed one) was a gas operated action.  I had one and it was not reliable with factory loads.  The second .44 semi-auto appears to be related to the Mini-14/30 platform and used a variation on the 10/22 magazine

I hope once Ruger gets the Marlins running well, they could be convinced to build a Colt Lightning rifle that is Ruger reliable.

On 12/3/2020 at 1:46 PM, Cypress Sun said:

I have done something like this with my TC Contender my 45-70, 16" barrel with BP loads.

Archived