SASS Wire Forum

Colonoscopy

Just had one this morning.  May all the Gods in Valhalla bless him who invented propofol (although Michael Jackson would not think so).  The results came back negative, thank the Lord for that!  This was recommended after the results from my testing with CologuardI came back indicating there might be a problem in my guts. it had me worried sick for several weeks because my mother passed away from colon cancer at a much younger age than I am at now.

I spent two miserable days with the prepping but now I feel a HUGE weight has been lifted from my shoulders and am happy I did it.  I'm good to go for the next five years (at 78 years of age this can be a concern) 

Pards, I apologize if this posting offends any of you, but I feel this is really serious.

May God bless all of you and keep you and your loved ones healthy and able to enjoy Christmas, Hanukkah, Quanza and every other holiday I forgot!  

Oh, in case I forgot..............QUIT SMOKING TOO!

I just had one yesterday. I've had ulcerative colitis for over 30 years. Have to get a colonoscopy every couple of years. Had flareups years ago but haven't had one for many years. New gastrointestinal doctor told me to keep doing what I'm doing. Previous doctor moved away after the Paradise fires.

To top it off I had prostate biopsies done  for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Results were great.  You can't help but worry but it's a relief to get good results.

Had to get the covid test before the colonoscopy.  When you've been poked and prodded I guess the covid test wasn't too bad compared to what I  anticipated.

17 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I just had one yesterday. I've had ulcerative colitis for over 30 years. Have to get a colonoscopy every couple of years. Had flareups years ago but haven't had one for many years. New gastrointestinal doctor told me to keep doing what I'm doing. Previous doctor moved away after the Paradise fires.

To top it off I had prostate biopsies done  for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Results were great.  You can't help but worry but it's a relief to get good results.

Had to get the covid test before the colonoscopy.  When you've been poked and prodded I guess the covid test wasn't too bad compared to what I  anticipated.

Good for you, I'm glad!

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I spent two miserable days with the prepping but now I feel a HUGE weight has been lifted from my shoulders and am happy I did it.

This really could have been rephrased. :lol:

Hello!

I'm posting this as a warning. Skip on past this post, if you are looking for something humorous, as it isn't funny.

When I was 50, they were doing/recommending Sigmoidoscopies. OUCH! They didn't put me out for either of the two I had.

Then at, 60 I had a Colonoscopy. The Doc found a sufficiently large growth for me to have an operation. I had a Colon Resection. That is where they  cut out a section of your intestines that is so large that it removes the large polyps. The polyps were cancerous. The doctor told me that I wouldn't need Chemo, etc. However, I was ill off-and-on from November to April. Every time I bent over, I vomited.

Fast forward to last month. I had another Colonoscopy (now, in addition to the prep, you need a Covid test). The five polyps that were removed were "precancerous." In other words, small enough to not require another surgery. I am on the three-year-plan for Colonoscopies. Believe me that is better than either alternative that I can think of.

The morale of this post is, "get your colonoscopy!"

Yep.  Two years ago I went in for my first.  The Doc told me no problem, usually takes about 15 minutes.  When I woke up he said, remember when I told you 15 minutes, it's been an hour and a half.  Multiple polyps of varying sizes.  Then several weeks later the Joker, ahem, my doctor, calls me to come get the results of my biopsies.  He walks in the exam room and asks me how I'm feeling.  I said 'fine doc'.  He said 'well, come in my office, we need to talk.'  After my heart restarted he proceeded to tell me they were all precancerous, nothing to worry about.  I'm due for my next round in January.  This time he's not going to 'get' me. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yep.  Two years ago I went in for my first.  The Doc told me no problem, usually takes about 15 minutes.  When I woke up he said, remember when I told you 15 minutes, it's been an hour and a half.  Multiple polyps of varying sizes.  Then several weeks later the Joker, ahem, my doctor, calls me to come get the results of my biopsies.  He walks in the exam room and asks me how I'm feeling.  I said 'fine doc'.  He said 'well, come in my office, we need to talk.'  After my heart restarted he proceeded to tell me they were all precancerous, nothing to worry about.  I'm due for my next round in January.  This time he's not going to 'get' me. 

Dear Bill,

I hope that you are blessed with no cancerous findings in January or, at least, they are small enough to remove during the next colonoscopy.

:wub: and much respect!

Allie

PS Y'all reading this, don't delay to schedule your Colonoscopies. 

Yup, they are not fun, but get one if your time is here for it!

6 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Dear Bill,

I hope that you are blessed with no cancerous findings in January or, at least, they are small enough to remove during the next colonoscopy.

:wub: and much respect!

Allie

PS Y'all reading this, don't delay to schedule your Colonoscopies. 

Thanks Allie!

They're no fun, but a necessary thing.  Since that last one I've dropped about 30 pounds and I take my fiber every morning without fail.

Yes, I did this a couple of years ago. I had benign polyps, but the prep was time-consuming and unpleasant.  On top of that, all the op room nurses were male.

When they shoot the propofol to me I can count backwards from 100 all the way to 98.

Had one in '17-'18-'19 and after the last one got a 3 year break. Had several polyps removed the first two times, clear  on the last one. I hit 70 next year, so it's a relif to be told I'm good for a while.

Lost my brother-in-law to colon cancer a couple of years ago. He kept putting the colonoscopy off and his first trip resulted in an immediate trip to the OR!!

HE NEVER FULLY RECOVERED!!

Don’t put it off!!

As to the propofol,  who’s counting??  :lol:

My doctor started talking about a colonoscopy.  I didn't understand at first, but I got it in the end.

I have them every few years.  First one was at 50.  About due for another one.  

Just had one a little over a week ago.  Unknown to me, I had an internal bleed which ended up causing my hemoglobin to go all out of whack, which caused a severe lack of oxygen to various muscles.  Severe fatigue, light headed, disoriented.  Came close to checking out.  Thank God the ER physician admitted me.

Good to see so many getting checked out . When the nurse was setting me up for the iv i mentioned that a couple of times I wasn't unconscious the whole time during the procedure. I remember looking up at the screen and asking if I did my prep well enough. They asked if I was ok and I said yes. The nurse acted like that wouldn't be the case this time. I turned onto my left side and was looking at my hand trying to determine if I was getting whoozy. Next thing I knew the procedure was finished. Wham, I  was out.

My first showed up with several polyps, One was pretty large and while they all ended up being precancerous, but only by a few hours (that was what the doctor said when he gave me the results - (he was really thrilled to get to them when he did).  He put me on a three year program and while the next two times had small polyps the last time he said they were benign and allowed me to move to a 5 year program.  This coming spring will be another. my prayers for all of us of this age is none of us get colon cancer, heck cancer of any kind.

My last one the nurse told me I counted 98-97-nnn wow, that's some good shi................

Due again in 2021.

Several procedures have been mentioned:

COVID test.  No prep disgusting procedure, no pain, over quickly.

PROSTATE biopsy. Pre test anxiety, pre biopsy prep, proves anxiety was correct, actual test-short but painful.  Each needle stick proves again you are still alive.

COLONOSCOPY. Difficult prep, not painful. Test unconscious.  After: Since they inflate your colon for the test you will produce the most magnificent farts known to mankind

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Just had one a little over a week ago.  Unknown to me, I had an internal bleed which ended up causing my hemoglobin to go all out of whack, which caused a severe lack of oxygen to various muscles.  Severe fatigue, light headed, disoriented.  Came close to checking out.  Thank God the ER physician admitted me.

2 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Good to see so many getting checked out . When the nurse was setting me up for the iv i mentioned that a couple of times I wasn't unconscious the whole time during the procedure. I remember looking up at the screen and asking if I did my prep well enough. They asked if I was ok and I said yes. The nurse acted like that wouldn't be the case this time. I turned onto my left side and was looking at my hand trying to determine if I was getting whoozy. Next thing I knew the procedure was finished. Wham, I  was out.

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Classic!

Couldn't watch the entire thing

1 hour ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

My first showed up with several polyps, One was pretty large and while they all ended up being precancerous, but only by a few hours (that was what the doctor said when he gave me the results - (he was really thrilled to get to them when he did).  He put me on a three year program and while the next two times had small polyps the last time he said they were benign and allowed me to move to a 5 year program.  This coming spring will be another. my prayers for all of us of this age is none of us get colon cancer, heck cancer of any kind.

Yay youse guys! I'm glad your findings put you on the 5-Y-P!

To any of you who think it isn't anything to worry about, a few hours of discomfort are worth months of agony.

Good news! You're right, that propofol is good stuff. Didn't get it on my first two. First one they didn't give me enough drugs, felt everything and watched the whole thing in real time on TV. :angry:. Had one back in Jan. and the doc said "Have a nice nap." Then I woke up.:)

JHC

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

So....wait a minute.......

You guys got knocked out for this procedure?

I had mine about 2 years ago, without any anesthesia.

Kinda turned me off on the whole thing.

I'll be asking the next time.

LL

For a Sigmoidoscopy they don't give anesthesia.  They don't go us as far.  Don't ask how I know.  For both of my colonoscopies, I got the good stuff.  Out like a lightbulb.

Archived