SASS Wire Forum

moving with ammo, etc

Wrangler Wilson

Every mover I’ve dealt with will/can not haul any chemicals (e.g., cleaning solvents, lubes, etc), ammunition, primers, powder, and even aerosols, so I had to haul them with me or find a home for them before moving.  Bullets and brass have been no problem.  Several were willing to haul guns, but I was never willing to take that chance.  I have shipped ammunition ahead to a match with no problem, but would expect hazmat fees to make it painful if not prohibitive to ship powder and primers.

Loaded ammo can be shipped via UPS of Fed Ex but not via the post office.  Primers and powder cannot be shipped via any carrier unless the sender has a Hazmat license.   When I move 5 years ago I sold my primers and excess brass to some pals.  I had packed up my reloading equipment months before and I used up all the loaded ammo, so there wasn't much to worry about.

It was a long time ago but when I moved out West I shipped about 20,000 rounds of loaded ammo,(5.56, 308, 50 BMG)close to 50,000 primers and about 100# of smokeless powder via motor freight to my new address. No problems at all. 

They put primers and powder on a semi truck to ship it. It is not temperature controlled. Don’t see a need to keep it cool. Ammo does not cook off in cars in the summer time. Heck I was in Utah this last summer outside temp 111 degrees. The box of 9mm in the tow car did not cook off. 

Additionally it is none of the movers business what is in your boxes. Last time we moved the primers, powder and loaded ammo were boxed up and the movers moved the stuff. The guns went with me. 

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Loaded ammo can be shipped via UPS of Fed Ex but not via the post office.

If you can find a post office that knows it's own regs - loaded ammo can be shipped USPS if packaged correctly & marked

ORM-D

Cartridges - small arms

Well - apparently I was again confused. This is totally forbidden.  See next post.

25 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

If you can find a post office that knows it's own regs - loaded ammo can be shipped USPS if packaged correctly & marked

ORM-D

Cartridges - small arms

Last I checked ....

No.  Maybe once upon a time, but ammunition is on the USPS prohibited list.  ORM-D markings go on boxes for UPS and Fed Ex delivery.

I have had a few friends move from AZ or to and had a variety of reloading tools and components along with ammo and firearms.  All of them stored them in their respective vehicles, horse or camp trailers, truck boxes and entrusted no body other than a select few to move the valuables.   Whatever and however you choose to do keep it as discreet as possible to reduce the chance of theft.

35 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

No.  Maybe once upon a time, but ammunition is on the USPS prohibited list.  ORM-D markings go on boxes for UPS and Fed Ex delivery.

Thanks - learned something today.

4 minutes ago, Wrangler Wilson said:

I thought about selling most of it because of my tinnitus but I'll be retiring soon and I'll be out of a loud work environment so my ears should get better (I hope). So I'm planning on getting back into cowboy shooting. 

The bad thing about tinnitus... it never gets better. Mine developed from shooting guns as a kid with no ear protection and farm equipment with loud exhausts and in the army around high noise level generators and such. I have been out of the army for 34 years and my ears still ring all the time.

7 hours ago, Wrangler Wilson said:

I'm going to be moving out of state in Texas. I have ammo, primers, powder etc. Is there a way to move all my stuff safely? Do I have to ship it to my new home?

thanks

I moved recently, guns in the pickup, ammo in the trailer.  I thought it was safe, as no flammables or a source of sparks/ combustion. 

Fortunately, before I moved, there was a "friend of a friend" nearby and I was able to bring over my ammo on a house hunting trip before the actual move. I stored my guns at a friend's house and moved them later when I had to go back to get my travel trailer.

17 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

They've changed the "ORM-D" to a white diamond with black tips.  http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/03/diamond-labels-will-replace-orm-d-labels-on-ammo-shipments/

DOT regulations for movers- no powder, primers, ammo, solvents, aerosols, etc.

Long guns can be moved but each one has to be logged at load and signed for at unload, HUGE PITA.

Handguns may NOT be moved thanks to Brady.

When I moved from MD to AL 5-1/2 years ago I broke down most of the long guns and moved the actions along with handguns and ammo in two trips and locked them up in the new house with a game camera set up just in case. Final trip down was the last of the ammo and handguns. I packed the stocks of the broken down long guns and the movers had no issue with that. The ammo cans full of lead ingots and bare projectiles they also moved without issue other than bitching about the weight of the cans.

Archived