SASS Wire Forum

Sell 'em All or Hold On?

Joke 'um

Gunshows upcoming.  COVID ongoing.  Presidential politics and possible affects on gun culture looming.

Evil Dogooder's thread on the sad necessity of selling off his guns got my mind stirring.  Don't want to steal his thread.

The market for private sales at upcoming gun shows should be crazy.  The little guy on my left shoulder is telling me to sell everything (extra guns) and not look back.  The one on the right is whispering to hold on to everything like grim death.  Lacking others with whom to discuss this quandary, I get nowhere.  What does the Saloon Mind think?

Money is not a deciding factor. 

Future regulation could make guns worth their weight in gold or scrap metal.

Sell.  Sell!  SELL! ?

Hold.  Hold!  HOLD! ?

its interesting to note that i have had this discussion with a number of folks recently [the buy frenzy/shortage i suppose] some id never have thought would even mention the topic , a couple were looking at $ for various reasons , but most were just thinking on thinning some they didnt use anymore to take advantage of the current demand , 

it came up in discussions that i had regarding divesting my commonwealth collection - these were most of my sales over the last nine months , i had contemplated it for a few years - finally pulled the trigger , mostly went well and i still have the couple pieces i needed to keep , still have some handguns im on the fence about right now , may list them up in the next month , so far no regrets ,

i did part with one black rifle - it was spare to my needs and a very good friend was trying to replace the one he was forced to sell a few years back for $ , i sold it for exactly what i had in it even tho i could have gotten three times that out on the market right now , dont screwover friends ,

other than that i have none i want or need to sell right now , 

hope whatever you decide goes well and you never regret it , 

I’m selling some currently that have been shorter term purchases where I can double what I paid for guns but keeping ammo.  I feel with Supreme Court and senate as tight as it is nothing new drastic will pass in next 2 years at least.  I am selling in prep of a drop....setting the money aside to buy back at what I hope are half the prices.

For what it’s worth it’s my take, and holding ammo is just hedging my bet :)  Could be I regret not tripling up on all of it.

We are a small town with 2 main gun stores and both have a lot of guns.  Neither have many ar15s though.  Lots and lots of concealable pistols and hunting rifles and shotguns.  One goes to gun shows and reports good volume but not taking trades as the sellers think their guns are gold and priced as if new .  It is hard to tell.  If biden does his plan of taxing seminauto rifles pricing may drop unless through private sales with no record of the transaction. 

A local auction house sells guns a couple times a year or as needed.  Prices are crazy stupid.  People paying more than full retail plus and auction fee.  Doesn't matter what kind of gun either. Hunting rifle, black guns, large bore pistols, small bore pistols, old pieces of junk that need work.  Ammo is going the same.  Maybe it is the shortage that is happening in certain areas.  Retailers rationing sales.  Even reloads are going high at the auction.  Used to be people didn't want to buy reloads because they didn't know what was in them.  Not so much anymore.  

I'm hanging on to mine, even the safe queens.  I've got a decent supply of components and a couple hundred pounds of lead.  Haven't been shooting much so it isn't an issue.

Ignore the Panic Button Doom Sayers.  There isn't going to be an instantaneous change in the politic.  So much rhetoric has been dedicated to political mileage it ridiculous.  

Keep whatcha got.  Nobody is coming to take them away.

1 hour ago, Joke 'um said:

Money is not a deciding factor. 

Future regulation could make guns worth their weight in gold or scrap metal.

I think it depends on what you have to sell. 

If you happen to have a bunch of AR15s or other semi auto rifles that you are not using I would sell them now and take advantage of the high prices. 

If they are excess cowboy guns I'd probably just hold onto them. 

Sell what guns?  I don't have no stinkin' guns! :ph34r: IF I had any, I might think about selling a few hunting guns that I hadn't shot in years, but since all the gunshows have been cancelled due to the virus, I would be inclined to hold on to what I don't have! :rolleyes:

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Now's a good time to sell off what you don't shoot or don't really need. Aside from that though I don't prescribe to the notion that people should sell off their guns now before they're banned and have to be turned in, and thus become paperweights. We are still a long way away from that sort of End of the World scenario. Some stuff could be banned in the next four years, but the likelihood of anyone succeeding in a mandatory confiscation order is extremely remote. There are simply too many owners out there who would be seriously pissed off and not allow it.

In any event, my guns are my life and nobody is taking them from me without a fight.

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Can't sell what you don't have.  Who the hell owns guns anymore?  Mine were all stolen in a boating accident-fire-tornado before 1994.

Hey, mine too! Got a couple single shot .22s that survived the flood though.

For 50 years I have heard the “doom and gloom”. I am done with knee jerk reactions. I am tired of being pulled around by my nose by the manipulators in the media and in government. 

I will hold on to what I got. 

Just think about this. Whatever you sell it may be a very long time before you can replace it and prices may not be all that great when / if you do. 

Well in light of the ongoing political doings and the fact that it is clear that the establishment (big media, big tech, big social media, global corporations, big banks, China, the traditional establishment of the political parties, and big money) don't give a crap about America, the constitution, individual liberty, or the working man and woman: You tell me - Is now the time to get rid of your guns? Is now the time to show the powers that be respect or fear? 

As for me and my house we serve the Lord God and I will be ruled by no man nor hold with those that think they are entitled to rule over others. It is plain what the intentions are of those who seek to rule rather than to serve. I offer no honor or respect to those who would do so whatever their name or purported authority. They have by their actions shown that they no longer have any legitimate authority over the free men and women of this nation. 

I didn’t buy any gun as an investment.  It gives me pleasure to look at them, handle them, shoot them, hunt with them, show them to friends and family, discuss them, photograph them.

I’m looking forward to the December 12 gunshow to add a S&W Model 27 (or pre-27!) to the herd. ( If you have one for sale, let’s talk.). 

So, I’m holding, and selectively buying.

You do what you think is best for you.

44 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I didn’t buy any gun as an investment.  It gives me pleasure to look at them, handle them, shoot them, hunt with them, show them to friends and family, discuss them, photograph them.

I’m looking forward to the December 12 gunshow to add a S&W Model 27 (or pre-27!) to the herd. ( If you have one for sale, let’s talk.). 

So, I’m holding, and selectively buying.

You do what you think is best for you.

I expect a full report! Saving boxtops to add another S&W to my meager collection  

I’m still collecting!  I bought a Sharp’s long rifle a couple if months ago, and there’s a used Lancaster muzzle-loader I’m considering.

Well, I had to sell almost all my guns due to being injured and out of work one time. I still have things that I have not been able to replace since I could not find another one or the price was too high to replace it. I am almost in the same boat again and have sold one gun to pay last months bills. If all goes as planned, I will be back to work soon and once I am caught up, I will be back to buying things on my list as $$ comes available. I decided after the last time If had to sell stuff to survive, that the guns will be the last items I will sell. After far as the politics, hand ringing and stuff, I will keep my guns until they come for them and nobody knows what the outcome will be at the end of that day.  I will always buy, sell, and trade as I see fit, but not looking to let my decisions be affected by the politics and other stupidity in the world.  I will always try to keep a big enough supply of guns and ammo to fulfill my needs for shooting sports, hunting and self defense.

On that note, do what is best for yourself and don't worry about the rest of the world.

I don't foresee any gun confiscations in the near future.  I do see restrictions and lots of red tape for those wanting to purchase high capacity magazines and ugly guns if certain politicians get their way.   I think I'll hold onto what I got, even thou I don't use anything but the Cowboy guns.  It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing they are there.......at the bottom of the lake.

Its the executive and legislative branches repeatedly allowing the ATF to 'define' things unchecked, that worries me - arm braces are good - arm braces are bad - arm braces are good - arm braces are bad - bump stocks are REAL bad,,,

...so says the ATF - the legislature has coincidentally remained quiet while the ATF decides on the meaning of the word "IS"

Ooops, it seems after a review we have decided that your SAR-48, AKMS, M1A, Min14, 10/22, 1187, and or course that scary looking AR-15 and ALL of your 10+ capacity rifle/pistol/shotgun magazines and magazine tubes are all NFA items now, please send your check or money order for each individual item ASAP so we can process your stamps - thank you, sincerely, the ATF

If you need the money that's one thing but if not hang on to what you have, unless you don't like a certain gun or have absolutely no use for it.;) 

14 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Well, I had to sell almost all my guns due to being injured and out of work one time. I still have things that I have not been able to replace since I could not find another one or the price was too high to replace it.

Been there, done that. A couple decades ago I was in a financial bind an decided to sell off my most valuable firearms first to get some money. BIG mistake! I sold a beautiful pre-war Colt 1911A1 for $4,000 (the going rate at the time). Now that same pistol would be worth around $12,000. I simply can't replace it as prices have risen above what an ordinary working man like me can afford.

Ever since I went dear hunting and that pesky buck stole my rifle and being as how I was broken up about the loss of that rifle, I failed to pay attention to the weather.  As I was paddling home across Lake Buchanan and got caught in a rare December storm and canoe and all my guns and camping stuff went in the water, I have been meaning to buy another gun.  Just have not had the heart to begin over.

4 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Ever since I went dear hunting and that pesky buck stole my rifle and being as how I was broken up about the loss of that rifle, I failed to pay attention to the weather.  As I was paddling home across Lake Buchanan and got caught in a rare December storm and canoe and all my guns and camping stuff went in the water, I have been meaning to buy another gun.  Just have not had the heart to begin over.

That IS sad!

4 minutes ago, Noz said:

That IS sad!

Thank you, yes it is sad.  I will tell you these Texas Hill Country dear are wiley and mean.  Too many years of in breeding and being fed BarBQue by the tourists has made them a mite cantankerous. 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, Joke 'um said:

Sell.  Sell!  SELL! ?

Hold.  Hold!  HOLD! ?

The third option:

Buy.  Buy!  Buy?

There are still pieces to be bought on occasion, a model 60 in a pawn shop for $80 that didn’t cost $80 new.  A Colt 1911 for $450 at an estate sale.

Sold two M1 Carbine guns tha were set up for DCM/CMP matches in the mid-1990s for $300 each, good money back then.  Never replaced them because prices just kept going up with the Brady bill and interest due to Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers.

Same situation with a Colt Python bought for $450 in 2000 and sold for $1200 in 2015.  Cannot afford to replace.

The only gun I'd be interested in getting rid of is a broken down, worn out bolt action Western Auto .22.  I've been waiting for a gun buyback program around here so I can turn that evil unloved gun into $100.  

Archived