SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 45lc pistols

John Lee

I have shot Rugers for 20 years and they are to hard on my hands. I want to buy Uberti 45 lc 3 1/2 in barrels. There Runnin irons, Thunderer Taylor’s. Help me out, anybody have any experiences and advice.

Thanks 

John Lee 

Have you shot a pair in a match? If not I suggest you borrow a pair from a fellow shooter and try before you buy. Might not be able to borrow a set with the super short barrels but it will tell you if the grips fit your hands better.

First knee snap reaction is to switch to 38/357.  Second suggestion, switch to Cowboy 45 Special cases, a reduced load and BARNSTORMER bullets (130Gr).  Always fix the cheapest part first.

that would have been my comment as well , had a pair and they are now long gone , they always felt harsh to shoot for me , they looked pretty tho :>} 

i guess my next  comment  would be that the short sight radius would most likely trouble me more as my eyesight goes , i got by back then but it was more effort , great thing is they should fit whatever holster rig you currently have just fine , 

I have a brace of Cimarron Thunderers with the 3.5" barrels and birdshead grips in .45 Colt.  I shoot them in SASS AND carry them for personal defense.  I've had no issues with them.

I've had a problem this past year with two of my four Running Irons.  Both of them broke the Cylinder bolt.  As they are short stroked, they use a different bolt than the standard Uberti Cattleman.  Been waiting on parts for four months on one and three months on the other one.

I shoot a pair of 3 1/2 in. Uberti model P pistols in C45s,nd I really like them.Most notable difference is that they shoot considerably lower than my 4 5/8 pair.More knowledgeable pards have told me it's because the bullet spends less time in the barrel doesn't  have as much time for recoil to take effect.I usually shoot a 160 grain Rnfp over 4.6 grains of Clay Dot.Recoil is negligible .

Choctaw Jack 

Well, if we ever get to shoot anytime soon, we have a pair of 3 1/2 in Thunders in 45 that you can try. I personally like longer barrels for their sight radius. We also have a set of Taylor tuned short stroked Running Irons but I have had trouble with their reliability to go bang every time. I'll bring the Thunders to the next Tusco shoot for you to try. Also +1 to Coffinmaker with the Cowboy 45 Specials. Light recoil and pleasant to shoot.

John Lee

I forgot but was reminded.  I highly recommend should you choose to invest in "new" guns, take a really hard look at Pietta.  Both Cimarron and EMF offer several 3 1/2 inch barrel guns with a choice of 38/357 or 45 Colt.  The Pietta guns do NOT suffer the stupid "retractable" hammer thingie Uberti has saddled us with.  Out of the box Pietta are somewhat more user friendly than Uberti.  Most only need a change of Main Spring.  

DO NOT buy "pre-tuned" guns.

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

DO NOT buy "pre-tuned" guns.

+1

I shoot a pair of 4 5/8 Pietta.45s. 
All I’ve done was replace the springs for the cylinder pin retainer button. 
Dang pin would move under recoil. 
Now they don’t. 

On 12/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, John Lee said:

I have shot Rugers for 20 years and they are to hard on my hands. I want to buy Uberti 45 lc 3 1/2 in barrels. There Runnin irons, Thunderer Taylor’s. Help me out, anybody have any experiences and advice.

Thanks 

John Lee 

I've have a set of Ruger New Vaqueros, 5" barrels and plow handle grips in .45 Colt, and I also have a set of Uberti Cattleman's, 4 5/8" barrels and bird's head grips in .45 Colt.  Neither sets of these guns have been "slicked up".  The Uberti's are older style without the retracting firing pin safety.  I shoot the Uberti's better (faster, for me.), these are the ones I prefer to shoot.  While having said that, I have had to fix the Uberti's 3 times in the past 4ish years; two broken trigger / locking bolt return springs (drop in replacement) and one of them had the front site fall off (lock-tight, black max to put back on).  Fortunately, I was able to do all of the afore mentioned repairs myself with the longest delay the wait time to get new springs shipped to me.  I shoot the same loads in both sets of guns (5grn Trail Boss under a 205grn bullet) and I don't notice any appreciable difference in recoil, but I've never characterized myself as being recoil sensitive.  Just sharing information, your mileage may vary.

What's wrong with the Rugers?  Weight, balance, or...?  What model Ruger have you been shooting?  Blackhawk, Vaquero, NM Vaquero, or...?  Have you thought about one of the Ruger 3-¾" models?

Not enough info in the OP.

Archived