SASS Wire Forum

Time to start communicating to Vista Outdoors

John Boy

The only thing Vista Outdoors has communicated to the shooting and reloading community is they have a $1,000,000,000 backlog. They have not communicated when this backlog will be resolved and the shooting is dissatisfied not having ample supplies because of their backlog 

Gentlemen, there is no sense complaining about the lack of ammunition and reloading supplies on Forums. Vista Outdoors controls the majority of the companies that manufacture these products, send an email to Vista Outdoors and complain to their Board of Director’s https://vistaoutdoor.com/contact-us/ 
https://vistaoutdoor.com/investors-information/corporate-governance/board-of-directors/

JB,

I go bout every couple days to my favorite LGS. They got several cases of 9mm, 45acp and 223...it was gone in 1 day. People going crazy buying everything on the shelf, even though prices are jacked. Panic buying is long from over. Kinda hard to get ammo on the shelf when people buy everything soon as its delivered

Why would they respond to anyone about when the backlog will be caught up.  Demand has too slow and they can only run what the equipment will produce.  You have to assume they, like most companies. are short staffed do to travel restrictions. And peoples fear of catching something if they go back to work. As it has been said they are probably filling military and Law enforcement as a first priority. Shooting sports and private reloading isn't an essential need.

Ike, your giving up and rolling over that law enforcement that qualifies 2x times a year and military/customs contracts are going to be provided for within the billion backlog first ... if that be the case, get out the bows and arrows for Cowboy matches for a long time in the future

Well i don't know what is going on with Ammo and Reloading.

If it is anything like the Packing plants . Beef and other Meats ane still hard to get.

I am not too concerned yet. 

If the numbers are correct on the virus , there are a lot of things not being produced.

Look on a highway and see how many Big Trucks are going down the road. 

That will tell you how things are.

Look on a highway and see how many Big Trucks are going down the road. 

Bailey, not a bad idea if we had SASS members that lived close to these locations

CCI - Lewiston, Idaho

Federal - Anoka, Minnesota

Remington - Lonoke, Arkansas

Olin Winchester - Independence, Missouri

Set up game cameras and record the number of trucks leaving these factories making ammunition and primers :D

The Spartan GoCam is an 8-megapixel cellular deer camera that sends pics to your phone,

Ignore where the stuff is going for a moment.

COVID has reduced the work force, people are staying at home.

Out of the ordinary demand due to the panic buying and hording.

The factories have a limited capacity to produce.

The chemicals need to make the primers may have the sam issue. Staff and supplies.

Watching trucks....how much is loaded ammo and how much are reloading supplies? Unless you're at the dock watching the, load there is no telling whats in the trucks.

And if I was a LEO or Homeland security and it's reported that there are citizens tracking shipments someone will be going to jail!

A few points to consider...

First - Products not moving to market cannot sell - cannot bring in money - cannot compensate employees or shareholders.

As a business owner and investor impacted by COVID and shutdowns; while trying to cover rent, equipment, supplies and payroll - I assure you (if they are anything like myself); they are doing everything they can to get goods back in the market place for sale.  (and calling, visiting or badgering is NOT going to magically create goods and services availability {basically, we all are doing our best and the time spent discussing it with you is simply time taken away from the goal of getting back up to speed})

Second - Nature abhors a vacuum.  If the situation lingers too long - someone, somewhere WILL step up and fill the need. 

Be it an existing company or new player; loading components are a pretty simplistic product and America is a country of entrepreneurs - maybe this is an opportunity for someone. 

Thirdly - I don't claim to know the inventory turn cycle for the ammunition/ loading components business - but lets say it is a 60 day back up (in other words - at a set demand level; current production/ inventory levels should keep the pipeline stocked for 60 days out). 

Now lets look at what has happened the last year; COVID shut downs for manufactures and suppliers. 

What else has happened? 

Protests, looting, election worries.  The LARGEST one years firearms sales totals in history - more new gun owners than before.

New people bought up ammo.  Existing shooters/ loaders stocked up.  Lets say demand doubled.

So even if production had NOT been impacted by shutdowns or supply availability - that 60 day window would have halved.

So simple math - if CURRENT demand is purchasing in THIRTY days what production was creating in SIXTY days - you have a significant supply issue.

Under YESTERDAYS rules - you would have simply purchased more supplies - hired more workers - increased production.

But with many states placing restrictions of 25% capacity on businesses - now it will take up to FOUR times longer (EIGHT months) to produce the same qty of product previously created in 60 days - and consumed (via purchasing/ acquiring, hoarding, etc.) every 30 days.

As a Professor once said to me, "It's hard to fill a bucket with an eyedropper and harder still when there's a hole in the bottom of the bucket"

On 12/2/2020 at 4:30 PM, John Boy said:

Bailey, not a bad idea if we had SASS members that lived close to these locations

CCI - Lewiston, Idaho

Federal - Anoka, Minnesota

Remington - Lonoke, Arkansas

Olin Winchester - Independence, Missouri

Set up game cameras and record the number of trucks leaving these factories making ammunition and primers :D

The Spartan GoCam is an 8-megapixel cellular deer camera that sends pics to your phone,

I wonder it this would get you a midnight visit from the men in black.

Vista Outdoors communicated to financial community and the public, that to clear the 1 billion backlog for primers and ammunition they re going to hire 300 employees

I’m here to tell you they are blowing smoke ,,, 

This is a job listing of Vista Outdoors and you try to find any manufacturing posted positions where they make primers and ammo ....

https://www.zippia.com/vista-outdoor-careers-12509/jobs/ 

Archived