SASS Wire Forum

One of my favorite fights

Dirty Dan Dawkins

The style Foreman used can be found in books from the 1800s and hasn't been seen since, except for with George.  It worked perfectly for him, but no one teaches or uses it anymore.  The idea behind it was to jam the opponent's shoulders to prevent them from rotating when he threw a punch.  You might still get hit, but not very hard.  The style also involves slapping away the opponent's hands.  Very old school.

One observation I made about Foreman over the years:  After he became a Christian, he hit people because it was his job.  He did his job well, but it's a stinky, ugly sport he didn't take pleasure in.  Pre-Christian George had pure evil behind every punch.  I swear he *loved* hurting people.  

3 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Well, why don’t you just punch and inflict as much damage as you can to the shoulder?

Because it doesn't inflict very much damage at all.  That's like ramming a hot wheels car against a stone castle.

30 minutes ago, Snake River Clay said:

I remember Forman in an exhibition against a series of amateurs. Each one would fight 2 or 3 rounds then then the next guy would come in. Forman was winding up and just hitting those guys as hard as he could. Not pretty to watch. 

Doesn't surprise me.  Foreman in his 'first career' was just plain mean and he hit hard (I've seen it argued that he had the heaviest hands of the era).  He was also seemed to enjoy punishing people and was as dirty as he could get away with.

43 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Doesn't surprise me.  Foreman in his 'first career' was just plain mean and he hit hard (I've seen it argued that he had the heaviest hands of the era).  He was also seemed to enjoy punishing people and was as dirty as he could get away with.

Look at my post above.  The pre-Christianity George was pure evil.  

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Look at my post above.  The pre-Christianity George was pure evil.  

I did. 

I'm playing the part of the Amen Choir.

Folks that didn't follow boxing back in the day just think of George as the happy, smiling bald guy that sells those grills.  That's absolutely true- today. 

Go back to the early '70's, and we're talking about a completely different man that was as vicious a fighter as you've ever heard tell of.  THAT George Foreman would have fit in back in the late 1800's fighting under the London Prize Ring Rules in dirt rings while wearing driving gloves.

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My favorite was Jersey Joe Walcott being knocked out in something around a minute and a half of the first round by Rocky Marciano in September 1952 (?).  Rocky only connected with that single punch.

Apparently there was rematch that went longer, also on YouTube.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My favorite was Jersey Joe Walcott being knocked out in something around a minute and a half of the first round by Rocky Marciano in September 1952 (?).  Rocky only connected with that single punch.

It's a small world.  I was just watching that fight yesterday.  

Something funny about Rocky Marciano -- he wouldn't even qualify as a heavyweight today.  People are bigger.  Heavyweights are 201+.

4 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

When I weighed in at 143 pounds I was allowed to fight in the Light heavyWeight Class ,,, Just saying ...

Jabez Cowboy

Yeah, they've all changed upwards.  I was a welterweight at 147.

Cyrus ;

You are missing the Point ,,,, You have always been able to choose to fight three Weight Classes Above your Weight Class ...

I fought as a Welterweight then chose to move up ....

Rocky Marciano was a Light Heavyweight that chose to move up in weight class , in his case for the Money and Fame .

Jabez Cowboy

I've never been a huge fan of boxing. Not that I have a distaste for it or anything, but I would never go out of my way to sit and watch a boxing match. Having said that, to just sit and watch, the middleweight matches of the early to mid eighties were just amazing. The fights between the likes of Leonard, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler was some of the best boxing ever, in my opinion.

Archived