SASS Wire Forum

Temp in Florida in the 50's

I wish. Went to take the dog out this morning, and my normal "taking the dog out" attire - a pair of gym shorts.

Stepped out the back door turned around and immediately went back in. Went and got both a pair of shoes and a jacket. as we attempted this again I glanced at the thermometer. 42.

Now that might sound like a balmy spring day to a lot of y'all, but it was in the 80s yesterday.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I wish. Went to take the dog out this morning, and my normal "taking the dog out" attire - a pair of gym shorts.

Stepped out the back door turned around and immediately went back in. Went and got both a pair of shoes and a jacket. as we attempted this again I glanced at the thermometer. 42.

Now that might sound like a balmy spring day to a lot of y'all, but it was in the 80s yesterday.

42 above?!?!?!

We'll take it!

art.polar_.bear_.jpg

37ea8766a0b05672099092751a6e1281.jpg

It was 46 degrees here this morning. Nice. I rode my motorcycle to work. Average freeway speed = 80. Wind chill = 31 degrees. 

If you're cold, go faster to get to  the heat sooner. ;)

17° here at 7,000 feet in the great southwest this morning. But no snow in the forecast. I was in Miami in the early 70s when it snowed. Talk about panic! It didn't stick of course but you sure see some weird outfits when it get's cold in the tropics. :lol:

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

42 with Florida humidity is no fun.

I worked at an island statepark in Florida for a year and a half. It was accessible by boat only. Every morning in the winter, I gassed up the patrol boat and had a 45 minute ride through choppy seas and wind in 39-40 degree temps. The humidity was about 70%. I had on  long johns, a parka, my old ski cap and foul weather gear. That was thre most memorably crappy winter I ever had. And I've gone through winters in Bavaria, New England, and Colorado.

1 hour ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

There is a run of parkas, mukluks, and heavy winter gloves in Miami!

The 50's is comfortable to warm in some other parts of the world this time of year.

In Miami, you say, 'highs in the 50's,' and the residents imagine.....

BLIZZARD-OF1978.jpg

1 minute ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

The 50's is comfortable to warm in some other parts of the world this time of year.

In Miami, you say, 'highs in the 50's,' and the residents imagine.....

BLIZZARD-OF1978.jpg

When I think of Florida highs in the 50's......I don't think of some guy on the beach digging a Mustang out of a sand dune.:rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I worked at an island statepark in Florida for a year and a half. It was accessible by boat only. Every morning in the winter, I gassed up the patrol boat and had a 45 minute ride through choppy seas and wind in 39-40 degree temps. The humidity was about 70%. I had on  long johns, a parka, my old ski cap and foul weather gear. That was thre most memorably crappy winter I ever had. And I've gone through winters in Bavaria, New England, and Colorado.

Was the State Park Caladesi Island?

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It was 46 degrees here this morning. Nice. I rode my motorcycle to work. Average freeway speed = 80. Wind chill = 31 degrees. 

If you're cold, go faster to get to  the heat sooner. ;)

Coldest temps I ever rode in was 33 degrees. It was 33 when I left the house and 85 minutes later it was still 33 when I arrived at my destination.  Layers of clothes, heated jacket liner, heated handgrips, and heavy leather wasn't enough. I was so cold when I reached my destination I wasn't sure I could get off the bike without knocking it over. 

Swore I would NEVER EVER do that again.

Samuel Clements once wrote, "The worst Winter he ever spent was a Summer in San Francisco."  today is the first Snow of the season in my little part of the swamp.  The new Puppy is absolutely bonkers with it :D

What y'all tundra dwellers of the far north don't realize is that anything south of Lake Okeechobee in Florida is actually Tropical, with the normal temps and humidity pretty much equal to the Caribbean, so when the temp drops below 65 F it actually feels  uncomfortable.  Now, if it drops into the fifties it becomes A NATIONAL EMERGENCY!  

I remember Christmas Day (I believe 1984) when the temp rose ONLY to 35 F.  VERY RARE AND UNUSUAL, and pretty much caused old Cuban matrons to think the end was really getting near.  

A somewhat favorite pastime for locals is to go to the beach during "winter" to see the crazy yankees and Canadians cavorting in the water. 

Fun times.  Something to talk about while sipping a cafecito and munching on Cuban pastries.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

No coat for the dog?

My wife is from Ohio, but she wears a sweater in the Houston summer.  Last night was the coldest night so far this year, with a low temp of 35F. The wife made ma wrap the pipes yesterday.

29 here this A.M., with about 2 or 3 inches of snow on the ground, ice underneath. Didn't shovel worth crap. The bottom section of my drive WAS kinda slippy. Had to be careful shoveling down there. Did two mailbox areas, scrape and ice melt, and one walk down the south side of the club house. That's our access to storage, the north side isn't getting attention right now as the club house is closed to the public due to covid. I'm almost out of salt at the house here, plus, the ice melt that we use on the new concrete. Hopefully my associate will remember to bring a few bags up from storage at the sewer plant.

While taking our youngest dog out this afternoon, a clump of snow came off the carport roof and smacked her right on the head. She didn't know what to think:rolleyes::lol::blush:

its approached 40 here in the last couple weeks , within a few degrees anyway , even saw a pair of shorts last week , but right now id love some 42 degree weather , most likely wont see that till april of may tho 

My car said it was 40 on the drive in at 5:00am this morning.  I actually had to turn on the seat heater.  Leather is REALLY cold at that temperature.

I laugh at your 35 degree weather.  Bwh, ha, ha, ha, ha.  The land of tundra is where we sort out the men from the boys and the ladies are glad of it.  Bwa, ha, ha, ha, ha.  We go out and strap barrel staves to our feet, peel a couple of small trees to push with and slide down the hills to town and then we slide down that same hill back home.

Riding a moped in 35 degree weather?  Bwa, ha, ha, ha, ha.  Let's get on a snow machine at -10 degrees and race across the trails and the lakes at 70 MPH.  The foolish ones do this activity while traveling from  tavern to tavern.  I never did understand the snow machine attraction.  How about we all go to Eagle River in January and watch them race round and round?  Oooooo.  Exciting.  NOT!  And I know the guys that own the track and could probably get in for free.  It isn't the cold, it is just that I have better things to do.

Then the sportsman who can't get their boats in the water go sit on the ice, staring at an 8" hole waiting for the stupid fish to bite their hook.  Who is really the stupid one?  I never cared for fish that much.  I'd do it more for the fellowship than the fish.  It is exciting to pull a 25" gator out of a hole but then what do you do with it? It has a mouth full of ginormous teeth and you have to get that treble hook out.  Good luck with that while wearing gloves.

I'll go sit on my tractor and push the snow around when it comes.  I look like Bib the Michelin man in all my layers but I'm warm.  For now, it is car coat weather.

We moved down to North Carolina from lower New York State 14 years ago. In NY we would occasionally have snow to the 2 foot mark. One year we went skiing on natural snow in early April. Kids skiing in Bermuda Shorts and Tee shirts was an entertaining sight. That was the best “snow day” ever.

Once we arrived in NC I was recruited to a committee at our church. Meetings were in the evening. On a winters evening I would show up in shorts, tee shirt and sandals to see the Southern Ladies bundled up in their sweaters, shivering. I would say “At last the weather finally got comfortable,” and watch their shiver rate go from 20 shakes a minute to 30 - 35 shakes a minute. They would glare at me and mumble some thing like, ### Yankee!

I guess I’ve acclimated some what, I’m wearing long pants and a tee shirt nowadays. The birdbath was frozen this morning. I poured hot water on it and that started to freeze before the sun brought the temp up to 35F.

CJ

23 hours ago, bgavin said:

Those girls in Florida are gonna have to put on their long beads.

Beads?? That’s Nuwalins where they wear beads. :lol:

On 12/1/2020 at 8:36 AM, Cypress Sun said:

Was the State Park Caladesi Island?

St. Lucie Inlet.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:41 AM, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

What y'all tundra dwellers of the far north don't realize is that anything south of Lake Okeechobee in Florida is actually Tropical, with the normal temps and humidity pretty much equal to the Caribbean, so when the temp drops below 65 F it actually feels  uncomfortable.  Now, if it drops into the fifties it becomes A NATIONAL EMERGENCY!  

I remember Christmas Day (I believe 1984) when the temp rose ONLY to 35 F.  VERY RARE AND UNUSUAL, and pretty much caused old Cuban matrons to think the end was really getting near.  

A somewhat favorite pastime for locals is to go to the beach during "winter" to see the crazy yankees and Canadians cavorting in the water. 

Fun times.  Something to talk about while sipping a cafecito and munching on Cuban pastries.

Jan 19,  1977. Snowed in Miami. Not pleasant. 

Archived