SASS Wire Forum

A Dark Day on the Santa Fe December Update

The Outlaw Travis James

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2021 at 10:13 AM, Mister Badly said:

I will be there in spirit. Just started my training for the dark side. Two buffalo misses. I thought buffalo were bigger?

I just shot at and missed that same buffalo at Oak Ridge last weekend. I am going to blame it on the 20 degree temps and spitting snow. I cant wait for warmer weather and Darker Days!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Barkeep Casey said:

I just shot at and missed that same buffalo at Oak Ridge last weekend. I am going to blame it on the 20 degree temps and spitting snow. I cant wait for warmer weather and Darker Days!

It's not warm down here right now!

18 minutes ago, Confederate Colt said:

Added three more shooters last night. Here are the up to date shooters list!

DD 1-14.pdf 181.84 kB · 1 download DF-1-13.pdf 150.53 kB · 2 downloads

More King of Kaboom contestants?! :P

16 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Anything against the rules about using the same load in a different category?  Asking for a friend :ph34r:

Let your friend know that he's safe. :D

How in the heck did this thread drop down to Page 3?  :o

Maybe everyone is busy loading ammo.  :P

T-7 Days 'till lift off for FL.  Lots of tasks still to do before it will be time to head south, and the clock is ticking...

2009_night_at_the_museum_battle_of_the_smithsonian_028.thumb.jpg.526f0e3cf6275f744a2bd513e4051682.jpg

49 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

How in the heck did this thread drop down to Page 3?  :o

Maybe everyone is busy loading ammo.  :P

T-7 Days 'till lift off for FL.  Lots of tasks still to do before it will be time to head south, and the clock is ticking...

Think that’s bad...I was loading SG shells for Dark Days and ran out of wads.  Put 2 orders in today hoping that at least one comes in soon.

52 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Think that’s bad...I was loading SG shells for Dark Days and ran out of wads.  Put 2 orders in today hoping that at least one comes in soon.

Good Luck!  Hopefully, they will show up in time!

33 minutes ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

A little warm up last weekend!

One of these days, I need to talk to you about my '87.  It was supposed to be one of the "Coyote Cap" Special Editions, but it is just not all that smooth.  Better than dragging a shovel through a box of rocks, but it could use some expert help.

OOOOOOHHHHHH  NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

funny-dog-on-ice-slips-traction-off.gif

Well, as usual this time of year, the winter weather is churning out there in the mid-west trying to figure out the best way to totally mess up my plans for departure.  Looks like the weather, either snow, sleet, or freezing rain, will arrive sometime late Monday through early Tuesday.  Forecasts are calling for anything from 12"+ of snow to 1/2" of ice, or some combination thereof.  Fun Times!

Although I had originally planned to head out on Sunday, leaving Lil here to fly down on Tuesday, there is a real chance that she could be stuck here until the mess clears and, depending on the weather model, there is a chance of Round 2 happening on Thursday as well.  So, we have shifted plans and I will be staying here until she finishes work for the day Monday and then we will depart together (hopefully ahead of the storm) for parts south.  If we can make South Carolina by mid-night on Monday night, it will be smooth sailing for the rest of the trip.

Still a chance that it will all be a big nothing, but if I am down there shooting Darkness Falls and Dark Day, and Lil is stuck up here shoveling snow or chipping ice, she is likely to shoot me, again!  (Long story on that. :P)  So, with personal safety foremost in my mind I will be sticking around here a few extra days.  Plenty to keep me occupied, but I want to Leave Now!  :D

26 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

OOOOOOHHHHHH  NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

funny-dog-on-ice-slips-traction-off.gif

Well, as usual this time of year, the winter weather is churning out there in the mid-west trying to figure out the best way to totally mess up my plans for departure.  Looks like the weather, either snow, sleet, or freezing rain, will arrive sometime late Monday through early Tuesday.  Forecasts are calling for anything from 12"+ of snow to 1/2" of ice, or some combination thereof.  Fun Times!

Although I had originally planned to head out on Sunday, leaving Lil here to fly down on Tuesday, there is a real chance that she could be stuck here until the mess clears and, depending on the weather model, there is a chance of Round 2 happening on Thursday as well.  So, we have shifted plans and I will be staying here until she finishes work for the day Monday and then we will depart together (hopefully ahead of the storm) for parts south.  If we can make South Carolina by mid-night on Monday night, it will be smooth sailing for the rest of the trip.

Still a chance that it will all be a big nothing, but if I am down there shooting Darkness Falls and Dark Day, and Lil is stuck up here shoveling snow or chipping ice, she is likely to shoot me, again!  (Long story on that. :P)  So, with personal safety foremost in my mind I will be sticking around here a few extra days.  Plenty to keep me occupied, but I want to Leave Now!  :D

Sorry to hear the change of travel plans.  I feel for you it’s 75 down here today.  Be careful driving and I’ve got to hear this shooting story.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Sorry to hear the change of travel plans.  I feel for you it’s 75 down here today.  Be careful driving and I’ve got to hear this shooting story.

Plan changes go with the territory, as long as we make it to the match, we will be fine!  Seems to be a standard story for us and Dark Day.  First time we went, I drove down in a Prius when we had about 3" of snow on the roads which was covered with about 1/2" of ice.  That was a dicey drive!  I don't think my sphincter relaxed until I hit Fayetteville, NC!  :o  I just kept thinking that in an accident, it would all be over quick.  Driving a hybrid/electric car powered by gasoline and a 900lb nickle-metal hydride battery while carrying 1000 rounds of BP ammunition....Well, lets just say they would have seen the fireball in Fort White!  (No disrespect to present company.B))

Another trip, I drove straight through on the same day Lil was flying out in the evening to Jacksonville, I was supposed to pick her up there and then we would head to Lake City for our hotel.  Her flight got delayed 4 times and didn't arrive at the airport until 2:30am the day of the shoot.  We ended up getting about 4 hours of sleep before we had to scoot and be gone to make the match.  I think I sort of remember that one, maybe...

Anyway, for me at least, that is part of the challenge of this match.  Shootin's Easy, it's Getting There that Hard! :P

All ammo loaded - guns get a last minute clean and check - head south on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Well, I have my home clubs Annual this weekend which Confederate Colt is also attending. 

Then next weekend I am going to be shooting KING OF KABOOM!!!!  It should be a fun time.  

Can't wait to see everyone.  

KoK 1-9-21 tagged.jpg

Me and Barkeep will be there Thursday morning.  I'm gonna bring some Triple 7 with me that will be available if anybody needs some.  Got about 10 pounds, some 2f and some 3f.  

What A Week!  I am totally wiped out, but the truck is packed, the To-Do list is mostly To-Done!  Still have a hectic day ahead, but we should be on the road south at about 6:00pm tomorrow, hopefully ahead of what-ever weather comes our way.  Making a stop in SC for two nights for some personal business, then of to Fort White on Wednesday bright and early.  Hope to be rolling into the range before 2:00pm to get checked in and excavate the cart from the back of the truck before heading off to the Hotel.  Makes life a little less hectic that first morning.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, turning the world off for a few days, and playing Cowboy, or napping - there is a lot to be said for a good nap!

940bec2fb95a16cf48e64bc78de038e0.jpg

What?  Only three days and then heading to Fort White for some fire and smoke and a little bang and clang of steel.    Weather forecast getting better and better.  Looks to be perfect Florida winter days ahead for us.  

I'm in the office working today, but I will be on the range tomorrow finishing up getting for you all to arrive.

See you in a few days.....

WELCOME TO DARKNESS FALLS AND A DARK DAY ON THE SANTA FE!!

Just now, Confederate Colt said:

I'm in the office working today, but I will be on the range tomorrow finishing up getting for you all to arrive.

See you in a few days.....

WELCOME TO DARKNESS FALLS AND A DARK DAY ON THE SANTA FE!!

No wonder you were so fast on email!!

Archived