SASS Wire Forum

A Dark Day on the Santa Fe December Update

The Outlaw Travis James

On 12/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, Realtree said:

I heard through the grape vine that Shelleen is going to shoot King of Kaboom.  Just saying!

So that means you're both going to shoot it?! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christmas is behind us, New Years is upon us, and Darkness Falls & Dark Day are a mere 32 Days away.

Christmas rains have chased away almost all of the snow that was on the ground, with just the barest amounts clinging to the shadows.  Christmas tree will stay up until New Years Day and then we will be on the down hill run to Match Days!

Lots of End Of Year things to do before departure for the Sunshine State, but the weather for the next few weeks looks to be on the milder side of winter, but I know that in reality it's just getting started.  Sure like to make it all the way to DF/DD without another snow storm, but Mother Nature has her own plans, and she doesn't even share those with the weathermen/women.

But, for me at least, the Official 28 Day Countdown began at 05:30 this morning as that is my presently scheduled departure time for Florida.  Lil is scheduled to fly in on Tuesday evening before the match, and we plan to drive up to Alachua on Wednesday morning, arriving around noon give or take.  Of course all of that is dependent on the Covid situation and we may have to shuffle things accordingly, but for the moment, that's the plan dujour.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, well at least as much as I can see everyone through the smoke! 

38 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Christmas rains have chased away almost all of the snow that was on the ground, with just the barest amounts clinging to the shadows.  

I'd be honored if you accept some of mine as a reminder of the holiday season.

IMG_20201226_152431246.jpg

17 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

That looks pretty.....from Florida :P

10 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I certainly hope you went HOME for Christmas!  If that is on the ground in Florida, I may have to rethink this whole thing!  :lol:

Weather here in the Mid-Atlantic is always a coin toss.  We get those Nor'Easters that come flying up the coast from the gulf states bringing the moisture and that arctic cold that seems to blow across from the upper mid-west, and they slam together right over top DC.  It only takes a shift of a couple of miles to shift us from an inch of rain to 1/4" of ice, to 12" of snow, or more, sometimes all in the same storm.  You guys certainly have us beat on the cold though, so I suspect you get mostly snow.

I am actually long past due for a run to Ohio, near Logan, to handle some estate issues for my aunt.  Every time I plan a date, one of our two states seems to have a Covid outbreak and things get shut down.  Not sure when I'm going to get there, but I need to do it soon.

Either way, I think we will both be glad to be back in the Sunshine State, and the sooner the better!

On 12/14/2020 at 11:00 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Sitting here at my desk, switching between the view out the window at the 37deg cold rain and at my computer monitor where the weather app is saying we should expect 10-16" of snow on Wednesday, I can't help wondering....

Why In The Bloody He77 Did I Leave Florida?

Departure in T-41 days......

The greatest thing I saw while living in Maryland was it my mirror crossing 301 bridge going back to Florida.  :)

That is a plastic kids picnic table. (Made by Step 2) Red is seat, yellow is tabletop.

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

That is a plastic kids picnic table. (Made by Step 2) Red is seat, yellow is tabletop.

I would have never guessed.  

Enjoy your New Years and look forward to meeting you in FLA

Happy New Year's to everyone!  Little late, but none the less, the wish still applies, and just remember...

On January 1, at 12:01:01, for the first time ever, Hindsight actually became 2020!

T-21 Days until the planned departure for Florida.  Paperwork is piling up fast for the start of Tax Season, and I'm not even an Accountant, although I do seem to play one during my off hours!  Already shoveling hard to make headway so that I don't have to haul any of it with me, just seems to violate the whole concept of "Vacation" when I have to bring work with me, but it's better that than missing out on the trip.

Oh well, break time's over, Back To Work! 

i-have-some-paperwork-to-do.gif

Shot two stages of smoke yesterday in Hernando, just to get me that much more excited than I already am.  Always fun to surprise everyone when they are not expecting the deep boom and a puff of smoke after your spontaneous starting line of "Let's smoke 'em out boys!"  Then you always get the comment of "I call a P for shooting out of category!"  LOL  All in the fun.

If my math is right we are about 23 days from Dark Days in Fort White

1 hour ago, Realtree said:

Shot two stages of smoke yesterday in Hernando, just to get me that much more excited than I already am.  Always fun to surprise everyone when they are not expecting the deep boom and a puff of smoke after your spontaneous starting line of "Let's smoke 'em out boys!"  Then you always get the comment of "I call a P for shooting out of category!"  LOL  All in the fun.

If my math is right we are about 23 days from Dark Days in Fort White

Can't get here soon enough.  Just finished lunch after my first 10 hours in the Paper Pit Of Doom and decided to pop in here before I return to the Pit.  Got a deadline of Thursday to get about a 100 page report finished and I am about half way there.  At an hour a page, that's about 50 more hours, so it will be close but I should make it.  Finishing that will definitely put me well on my way to my scheduled departure date.

See You There (Well maybe not if the smoke is too heavy)! :P

Yesterday I reviewed the loads for Sultan of Smoke, tonight I’m going to load up some .45C cartridges to use in this weekends match, and I’ll get my powder pre-measured for the C&B pistols.  I’ve got 2 matches to try everything out before DD.

1 hour ago, Confederate Colt said:

20 day and counting....

Rumor has it there are a few Buckeyes that have dropped their apps in the mail this week....... 

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Oh wait...... that's not till Monday night.

411c741069173c8cea5a1f4435663956-1.jpg

It Is Finished!

stacks_paper.jpg

Well, maybe not that big, but I did manage to complete my project this past week before the deadline.  All told, three separate documents totaling 87 pages.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it, and in truth I was a day behind where I wanted to be, but I got it done before the deadline.  Nothing like a week of 18 hour days to make one dream of retirement...

Hey, wait a minute, I Am Retired!  :o  Damn, I may need to go back and get a dang job!  Life was a lot simpler then!  :D

Probably take the rest of the day to get things returned to some sense of order in my office, then take down the Christmas decorations, change the oil in the Truck, do a better job of mounting the Truck Vault in the Suburban (it was transplanted from my old 96 Tahoe so the attachment points are different), and then start planning for the escape!

15 days from right now, I should be just about halfway through North Carolina on my way south.  Can't wait!

I have to assume I'm retired, but only because I don't get paid!  :rolleyes:

It all extends from an identity theft issue a decade ago.  Someone filed a fraudulent tax return in my name and got a refund to boot.  Been battling the Tax Court ever since.  Hopefully, this filing with the court, will fix the problem once and for all.  I need to finish this before either it kills me, or Lil does, and right now that's probably 50/50!  :P

13 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

OMG 10 years, court and the IRS?  I think I’d rather bang my head against the wall :huh:.  

Actually, I'd rather have someone else bang my head into broken glass!  On second thought, I'd rather bang the head of the guy who filed the return in my name into broken glass.  But it's almost over, and then a massive weight will finally be lifted from my shoulders.  Who knows, maybe I will have time to "Practice" SASS.  :rolleyes::P:lol:

46 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

T-14 Days, Snow is in the forecast, and I've got Florida on my mind...

florida.jpg

The beach is nice but this is better...

IMG_20200314_101404653.jpg

IMG_20200312_083631057.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I fully intend to visit both!

Just don’t confuse the two, wouldn’t want you to show up to the shoot in your speedo or the beach with your six guns and spurs :P :D

11 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Just don’t confuse the two, wouldn’t want you to show up to the shoot in your speedo or the beach with your six guns and spurs :P :D

The latter might earn me funny looks, but the former might get me banned from the universe!  :o

A Dark Day is  coming….

It is creeping closer and the registration cut off is this Wednesday!

If there is enough interest we will have an all mask posse. If you like to be on that posse please let me know.  I will post the posse list sometime next week and pass on some finale match details.

If you would like to attend the Friday night chili dinner hosted by Rocky Creek Shooter and Bucky Buckskin please RSVP so we know how many people to expect.

Bullets by Scarlett and Bullets By Chance will both be vending this year. Don’t forget to preorder your bullets! We will also have Margarita Bloom with MRB Originals with us. She makes custom vest, reticules and more.

The Cowboy Yard Sale will be happening Wednesday January 27th. You never know what you might find! If you are planning on setting up to sell stuff, if you would like to give me a rough rundown of what you plan to bring and its price I will start compiling a list to attach to the December email so folks will have a better idea of how much money to bring for the yard sale. Attached is current list of items I have been told about.

We have limited dry camping on the range. Please get with Yadkin Hawks at rfmelt@comcast.net to get your name on the list.

We will only be allowing vendor and handicap parking down on the range. If you would like to sign up for a handicap spot please get in contact with me.

We look forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

~Come to the Dark Side

41 minutes ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

Check is in the mail...King of Kaboom here I come!!!!

Stan

image001.jpg

2039501517_ThinkyausedenoughpowderthereStan.jpg.2916649f137ac563d7eedf2f7806691d.jpg

:lol:

I think Lil and I were on the posse with you and Delta Glen the last time you guys did the King of Kaboom.  My ears are still ringing, of course they always ring.... :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Archived