SASS Wire Forum

A Dark Day on the Santa Fe December Update

The Outlaw Travis James

Only 59 days till the black powder double header of the year!

I was asked last week if we were still going to have A Dark Day On The Santa Fe. I am sure that question has been on quite a few peoples mind. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has said that Florida will NOT be shutting down again, so yes, A Dark Day On The Santa Fe is still on!

Due to the low attendance projection we have decided to move the opening ceremony/banquet to the range on Thursday night instead of being in Lake City. The social hour will start at 5:00, food will be served at 6:00. We will still be using the same caterer as we have had the past three years. She is excited to finally get to come out to the range!

If you are interested in being on an all mask posse, please let me know. If there is enough interest we are happy to make accommodations. Also we will be adding extra loading tables where we can in order to better social distance. Where we can’t we will be limiting the number of people on the loading table.

I will be placing the order for awards around midday tomorrow. If you haven’t signed up yet, please let me know if your coming so I can make sure we have awards for your category.

Bullets by Scarlett reached out to me last week and has asked me to let you know that she will have APP powder for sale at the match. $240 for a 12lb case or $22 per pound. In order to secure your order at 2020 prices, PLACE YOUR ORDER BY DECEMBER 7!   3F may be ordered by the case or pound 2F is available in case quantity ONLY. Also don’t forget to place your bullet orders. She is only looking to bring a limited amount above what she receives for pre orders. She can be reached by email, phone or text. bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com.

Don’t forget about the Cowboy Yard Sale on Wednesday January 27th. You never know what you might find! If you are planning on setting up to sell stuff, if you would like to give me a rough rundown of what you plan to bring and its price I will start compiling a list to attach to the December email so folks will have a better idea of how much money to bring for the yard sale.

We have limited dry camping on the range. Please get with Yadkin Hawks at rfmelt@comcast.net to get your name on the list.

We will only be allowing vendor and handicap parking down on the range. If you would like to sign up for a handicap spot please get in contact with me.

If you need or want to shoot through either Darkness Falls or A Dark Day please get with me ASAP. Fillable match applications and vendor form can be found at the links at the bottom of this post for your convenience.  Keep any eye out on the website for updated shooters list as it becomes available. 

Looking forward to seeing you in January. 

~Come to the Dark Side

Dark-Day-2020-Scores.pdf 2021-DD-Schedule.pdf Vendor-Application2.pdf SASS-Official-Category-Matrix.pdf Dark Day 2021 App Final Fillable (2).pdf Darkness Falls 2021 App Final Fillable.pdf

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the BEST matches in SASS!! Plus, it’s BLACK POWDER!!! :wub:

Hope to see lots of y’all there!

Hugs!

Scarlett

I hoping!!!

Registration went in mail today.

6 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.  It should be a smokey good time!!! 

With all that smoke, you'll be lucky to see anyone!

1 minute ago, DeaconKC said:

With all that smoke, you'll be lucky to see anyone!

"Tis true, especially down in the pit! 

4 hours ago, Realtree said:

I may have limited primers, but I already loaded my ammo for this match.  Going to be a great event.  Hope to see the range packed with happy cowboys and cowgirls. Here is video from last year.

Due to all of the cancelled matches up here in Maryland this year, we are pretty much loaded up for all of the matches we hope to attend through June 2021, but that is only for the big matches.  Monthlies will be hit or miss depending on ammo and circumstances, but I wouldn't miss these matches if I was reduced to throwing smoldering (and smoking :lol:) charcoal briquettes! 

Really enjoyed watching the video of you in the Shoot-Off at the Ides.  Wish we could have been there in person...  Real....  Tree....   Real....  Tree....

Don't think that would have worked out too well for me...   Dog...   Meat...   Dog...   Meat...  :rolleyes:  :P

Good one Dog...  Meat!  I drew Bucky Buckskin and knew that I was in this for one round and that I would have some fun and get the crowd behind me!  I was very pleased that I shot as well as I did,  That was the first time I ever participated in a shoot off.  

Back to Dark Days, I am glad to see that you and Lil will be there.  I know it will be a terrific match.

11 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

So, who's "loadin' loud"??  King of Kaboom or Sultan of Smoke.  Get them big blasters loaded up!!

KoK is going to be a pretty healthy category this year.

8 hours ago, Confederate Colt said:

KoK is going to be a pretty healthy category this year.

So who's signed up?  Apparently no one that visits the Wire?!LOL

1 hour ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

So who's signed up?  Apparently no one that visits the Wire?!LOL

Ruff Cut

Curly Walker

Hollifer A. Dollar

Fireball

Travlin Kid

Outlaw Travis James

Double Tap Taylor

Wiggley Down Yonder

Rumor has it Delta Glen and Santa Fe River Stan will be joining the group as well.

23 hours ago, Confederate Colt said:

Ruff Cut

Curly Walker

Hollifer A. Dollar

Fireball

Travlin Kid

Outlaw Travis James

Double Tap Taylor

Wiggley Down Yonder

Rumor has it Delta Glen and Santa Fe River Stan will be joining the group as well.

Nice!!

On 12/12/2020 at 6:20 AM, Confederate Colt said:

Ruff Cut

Curly Walker

Hollifer A. Dollar

Fireball

Travlin Kid

Outlaw Travis James

Double Tap Taylor

Wiggley Down Yonder

Lil & I were on their posse when SFRS and DG did that a few years ago.  When DG lit off his shotgun, I would have sworn he was shooting artillery!  :o

Sitting here at my desk, switching between the view out the window at the 37deg cold rain and at my computer monitor where the weather app is saying we should expect 10-16" of snow on Wednesday, I can't help wondering....

Why In The Bloody He77 Did I Leave Florida?

Departure in T-41 days......

19 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Sitting here at my desk, switching between the view out the window at the 37deg cold rain and at my computer monitor where the weather app is saying we should expect 10-16" of snow on Wednesday, I can't help wondering....

Why In The Bloody He77 Did I Leave Florida?

Departure in T-41 days......

Its currently 49 degrees and clear skies on the range this morning here!

Attached is the latest greatest shooters list.

DD 12-15.pdf DF 12-15.pdf

2 hours ago, Confederate Colt said:

Its currently 49 degrees and clear skies on the range this morning here!

Attached is the latest greatest shooters list.

DD 12-15.pdf 176.63 kB · 2 downloads DF 12-15.pdf 148.03 kB · 2 downloads

Looking at the long range weather forecast, we won't see 49 degrees for the remainder of the month, maybe 45 for a couple of days, and then WINTER GETS HERE!

Shooting is pretty much done up here until March, or April, depending on how much snow is on the ground.  So when we got home from the Ides of November, we washed our Cowboy Clothes and immediately repacked them for the trip to Dark Day.  As long as I can keep the holiday weight gain down to a couple of pounds, we should be good to go!

Pies, Pies, I Must Avoid The Pies.....

Flying-saucer-pies.jpg

To be honest, I do have a weakness for pie, probably from when I was a kid.  Back when I was just a wee lad of 4 or 5 ( a long, long, time ago) my Dad owned a gas station and on Saturdays, he would take me with him to work (probably so my Mom got a break and only had to deal with my infant brother).  We would get up early, hop in the old pickup truck, and head into town, but before we got to the station, we would stop at the Little Tavern and get Coffee and Pie.  Well, he got coffee with a dash of milk and I got milk with just a dash of coffee, but for a little kid, that was magic.  Still love me some PIE!

On 12/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Looking at the long range weather forecast, we won't see 49 degrees for the remainder of the month, maybe 45 for a couple of days, and then WINTER GETS HERE!

Shooting is pretty much done up here until March, or April, depending on how much snow is on the ground.  So when we got home from the Ides of November, we washed our Cowboy Clothes and immediately repacked them for the trip to Dark Day.  As long as I can keep the holiday weight gain down to a couple of pounds, we should be good to go!

Pies, Pies, I Must Avoid The Pies.....

Flying-saucer-pies.jpg

To be honest, I do have a weakness for pie, probably from when I was a kid.  Back when I was just a wee lad of 4 or 5 ( a long, long, time ago) my Dad owned a gas station and on Saturdays, he would take me with him to work (probably so my Mom got a break and only had to deal with my infant brother).  We would get up early, hop in the old pickup truck, and head into town, but before we got to the station, we would stop at the Little Tavern and get Coffee and Pie.  Well, he got coffee with a dash of milk and I got milk with just a dash of coffee, but for a little kid, that was magic.  Still love me some PIE!

It won't be too much longer before you head down this way.

As is typical here in Maryland, the predictions of impending doom from the White Death are about as accurate as my left hand.  :rolleyes:  A slight variation in the track of the incoming Nor'Easter can vary the snow accumulations considerably as the temperature shifts one or two degrees.  Yesterday, we were supposed to get 5-8" of snow during the day, and 5-8" of snow at night.  What we got was 4" of snow, then sleet, then freezing rain, then sleet, then snow, and then everything finished off with a dusting of sleet.  Basically a layer cake of frozen precipitation with and Ice-ing on top.

757072961_IceSnow20201217.thumb.jpg.2ef0439e3a9f49fc70761433fd35042b.jpg

Overall, not too bad in reality.  The folks too our north in PA and beyond got hit pretty hard.   I managed to get the snow shoveled last night before I went to help my son recover his wife's car in my old '96 Tahoe.  At 309K miles, she is a bit long in the tooth, and years of the road salt and brine they use around here have eaten away much of the body as well.  It's gotten to the point that I when I get out and close the door, I have to look around to see if any parts fell off.  Long past time to take her on her last ride to the junk yard, but I figured we would spend one more winter together. :(

The new(er) Suburban, just doesn't have the ground clearance of the '96.  Unless I decide to get a replacement for the Tahoe, I'm going to have to pull the lower air-dam on the Suburban next winter so I can run it in the snow.  Somehow, I doubt running without it will affect the fuel economy when running in 4WD through 6+ inches of snow.  :lol:

Archived