SASS Wire Forum

Memories and a question

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I left Vietnam fifty one years, three months, and 20 days ago.  I never watch war movies unless they are comedies....until today.  I watched The Green Berets for the first time.

Lots of stories  are out there and this one is not much as I remembered it, but there were spots that rang my chimes.  Not pleasant memories, but easier now than it used to be.  Every man and woman who was there has different memories and reactions.

As to the question: I know John Wayne had a lot of power over his movies, but how in hell did he get the sun to set across the East China Sea to the EAST of Vietnam?

thanks to all that served in VN - too little thanks has been offered too late , and there are still too many that deserve a lot of apologies for how they were treated on their return as well as the thanks they had coming all those years ago , 

as to JW , i guess he was controlling a lot of his movies but i wonder if he got to call every detail ? that was a bit contrived - but it was just a movie , he was a anti-commie patriot , an outspoken conservative  and he never waivered from that , 

and he never - ever sat on enemy artillery during that war 

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

to the question: I know John Wayne had a lot of power over his movies, but how in hell did he get the sun to set across the East China Sea to the EAST of Vietnam?

It read the script. 

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The same question was asked when the movie first came out.  A buddy was going through OCS at Benning and was one of the Cong going over the wire.  He said that the Army went out of its way to assist in the film. 

Yeah they did use OCS students. I was in another OCS company at that time. Our night helicopter assault exercise was cancelled because Duke was using all the Hueys on Ft Benning. 

Supposedly the sun was coming up after the climactic battle at the A camp is what I was told. The movie came out when I was in the 10th Special Forces Group in Germany. About a year after they filmed it when I was at Benning. They had a premier showing at our base in Bavaria before it opened in the States. Free admission to the theater. The crowd was loud, proud and mostly drunk. We thought the movie was mostly hilarious. Some parts were accurate, like the opening A team demonstration for the civilians. Some parts were pure Hollywood. :lol:

Archived