SASS Wire Forum

Scotch

I do not like scotch, and I won' touch it with a 10 foot pole. I have a "southern taste" in whiskey and I prefer good ole Tennessee corn mash and drink Jack Daniels, I prefer Gentleman Jack for a smooth corn liquor and if I want a good tasting corn liquor set me up with a tumbler of Jack Single Barrel.

As I understand it, scotch must be aged in barrels already used to make other whiskey.  Is that because Scotsmen are too cheap to buy new barrels?

Now, the first guy could have made scotch by accident.  What was up with the next guy who said, "I know, let's do that again!"?

52 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

As I understand it, scotch must be aged in barrels already used to make other whiskey.  Is that because Scotsmen are too cheap to buy new barrels?

Now, the first guy could have made scotch by accident.  What was up with the next guy who said, "I know, let's do that again!"?

the way I see it, they use bourbon barrels as they are cheap and plentiful.  For those who don’t know bourbon has to be aged in new barrels, thus a never ending supply of used barrels.  Also from what I understand when distilling scotch they do minimal cuts and let the barrel do the work.   If you used new barrels the 20 year old spirit would be undrinkable due to over oaking.  But used barrels oak slower.  

on why they peat, that’s easy.  They burned what they had on hand for drying the malted grain.  That was peat.   Not as much wood used for heating, but they had lots of peat.  Malted barley is one of the easiest whiskeys to make.  It sparges well and ferments well as there are plenty of enzymes to convert the starches. 

to make malt, you take grain, get it wet so it starts to sprout. Then you dry it.  That’s where peat comes in.  The grain is dried over a peat fire.   Today they have sophisticated drying systems that use a minimal amount of peat.  In the old days I assume it was a lot more simple.  

btw my avatar is the still head from the still I ran when I made whiskey for a living. 

If you like scotch that is sort of sweet and caramel-like, get a Speyside ( e.g., Glenlivet, Macallan, Dewar’s). If you like the kind of scotch that burns on the way down and tastes spicy, go for an island scotch (Talisker, Bowmore).  These are single-malt scotches blended at the same distillery.  You drink these straight, with water, and/or on the rocks.

Blended scotches come from different distilleries and are mostly grain alcohol.  These are used for cocktails.  You are wasting a good single-malt if you are mixing it up for a cocktail.

If you get drunk on beer or wine, you get a head ache.  If you get drunk on whisky, you can blackout and not know what went on.  This happened to me once...ONCE.

Scotch is spelled, “whisky” ( no E).  All other whiskeys, such as Irish, American, Japanese, are spelled “whiskey”.

2 hours ago, South-Eye Ned said:

All other whiskeys, such as Irish, American, Japanese, are spelled “whiskey”.

So wrong.  Only Irish is whiskey.

5 hours ago, MizPete said:

So wrong.  Only Irish is whiskey.

I was partially wrong.  For Canada and Japan, it’s also “whisky”.  For America and Ireland, it’s “Whiskey.”

If it was a choice between a spelling bee and drinking Scotch, I’ll go to spelling!!

I DO drink spirits once in a while and I don’t care much how ya spell it, just make it taste better than petroleum products!!!

8 hours ago, South-Eye Ned said:

If you like scotch that is sort of sweet and caramel-like, get a Speyside ( e.g., Glenlivet, Macallan, Dewar’s). If you like the kind of scotch that burns on the way down and tastes spicy, go for an island scotch (Talisker, Bowmore).  These are single-malt scotches blended at the same distillery.  You drink these straight, with water, and/or on the rocks.

Blended scotches come from different distilleries and are mostly grain alcohol.  These are used for cocktails.  You are wasting a good single-malt if you are mixing it up for a cocktail.

If you get drunk on beer or wine, you get a head ache.  If you get drunk on whisky, you can blackout and not know what went on.  This happened to me once...ONCE.

Scotch is spelled, “whisky” ( no E).  All other whiskeys, such as Irish, American, Japanese, are spelled “whiskey”.

You can black out from any over indulgence of alcohol. No matter the type.

And as far as E or no E. Never say never. :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemicallef/2018/05/17/is-it-whisky-or-whiskey-and-why-it-matters/?sh=77f7c0a17561

I was turned on to whiskey in 1988 by a relative when we were adding onto a family cabin.  He brought a couple of 1.75 liter bottles of JD.  We spent a week at the remote site & ran out mid week.  Needless to say we made a half day trip to the nearest liquor emporium to get 2 more bottles.  I picked my email name to indicate my fondness for JD neat.  A couple of years ago while at COSTCO I noticed Bullet bourbon & rye; so, a bought a bottle of each.  After comparing them with JD I now buy Bullet rye.  I am not big on diluting sipping liquors.  I do like Knob Creek I am just to cheap to pay the premium over JD or Bullet.  In the late 90's I vacationed in Mexico & acquired a taste for reposado & anejo Ta-kill-yas.  I prefer Corralejo.  I can drink some blancos neat if chilled.  I do like liquors with a a slight aftertaste from the product it was fermented from, tequilla & grapa.  I am not a fan of single malt scotches with strong aftertaste of dirt with a lot of decomposed plant matter.

P.S. I have been known to drink good vodka if it is stored in a freezer.  I have to drink it before it gets above 40F.  Otherwise it has to be in a very dry martini.  "Shaken not stirred", served up with stuffed green olives or cocktail onions.  If made with gin it must not be a spicy gin like Bombay.

It’s a chilly evening, Balvenie and some Lorna Doones will get me get me through it. :lol:

08E75F63-E0C2-4073-A6B8-FE3F7E113C50.jpeg

Archived