SASS Wire Forum

Light primer strikes on revolver

Nickel City Dude

Here is the story.  I had to take my two Uberti 1873  Gunfighters apart to have some work done on them.  They have the safety hammers that I never had any trouble with before.  I never had to remove the rod that sits inside the hammer to push the firing pin out when I disassembled them or reassembled them.  Is there a special way the rod should be orientated?  I am using Federal large pistol primers in my 44-40 cases.  Some fired fine and others did not.  Any incite to my problem would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Did the parts get swapped between pistols?

No, I was very careful not to mix the parts up.  The same parts that came out of the gun were the same parts that went back into the gun. 

As a commercial loader for many years for cas, I would check the seating depth of the primers.

If they are not set all the way to the bottom of the pocket or if there is dirt in the cup keeping the primer from getting to the bottom of the pocket, it can take 2 hits from the firing pin to set the prime off.

It is not always the obvious parts that are the problem.

Maybe the gun reassembly. May be the primer setting.

It might even be the shooter has start drag their thumb against the hammer as it falls.

Chase the issues, one at a time.

Not all at once.

Check and eliminate 1 possible problem at a time.

Check that the grip frames are on straight and that the hammer is not dragging on a bur.

What work was done to them?

If you fire slowly and deliberately making sure the trigger is held fully rearward does it happen?

10 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I only did this one time (so far),  I forgot to tension the hammer spring.  But surely you wouldn't have forgotten on both guns.

What do you mean by "tension the hammer spring"?

8 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

What do you mean by "tension the hammer spring"?

Turn the mounting screw all the way tight.  I've at times just snapped the spring under the hammer and forgot to tighten the screw down.  It makes for a wonderfully light hammer pull but not enough power to bust a cap.

I think I had a bad batch or primers.  I took them out today with cartridges I made for a new box of primers and they all worked fine in both guns.

I went out again today because yesterday I was rushed and was unable to shoot all the cartridges I wanted.  I fired some more today and had several FTF.  I gave up and went home disappointed.  I studied the guns very carefully and discovered that when I lowered the hammer slowly it would sometimes bind a little at the half cock position.  I figured that the binding was slowing the hammer down and causing the light primer strikes. That got me thinking, what is moving when the hammer is going forward besides the hammer itself?  I decided that the hand that turns the cylinder might be the culprit. Uberti uses a coil spring instead of a flat spring that are on the original Colts and its clones.  I took the back strap off the guns so I could look at the screw that holds in the post and spring for the hand.  I backed them off so that they were flush with the frame and to my surprise the binding stopped. I made up some more bullets and will try them out again this Thursday.  I will report back after I have tried them again.  I hope I have found the problem. 

8 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I backed them off so that they were flush with the frame

I have left that little screw out completely on some of my Uberti.   I know,  I'm the odd one but I like the flat spring instead of the "mouse turd" and coil spring. 

Adjusting the hand spring screw solved the problem.  I put 75 rounds threw each of them and not a single problem.

I have put them up for sale in the Classifieds section.

Archived