SASS Wire Forum

Firestick for tV

Tascosa, SASS# 24838

We have had a Firestick for two years, and continue to enjoy the variety.  A slow WiFi causes interruptions.  You will enjoy it more with a hi-speed WiFi.

18 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

We have had a Firestick for two years, and continue to enjoy the variety.  A slow WiFi causes interruptions.  You will enjoy it more with a hi-speed WiFi.

Same experience here, but compared to out of control cable costs we like it.

Between Pluto and YouTube, I never run out of sruff to watch.  Rumble available for politics, news, etc.  Haven't really explored the rest.  Lots of pay-to-watch stuff but I stick to the free side.  The price is right.

I have a Fire Stick but no longer use it. I am happy with using my PlayStation 3 to watch Amazon Prime and Netflix. Nothing really wrong with the Fire Stick, I just prefer to use the PS3. 

My wife used the Fire Stick to watch the NFL Channel and Steelers games. We no longe support the NFL so the Fire Stick collects dust. 

my wife has decided our cable is too expensive , i may need one of these or something , im not much tech savvy so i may be here more than watchin TV in the near future - i got some nice DVDs and a player tho , 

I live too far out from town to get cable; so, have subscribed to Direct TV until the local telephone company put fiber cable in the street last year.  They offered free hook-up which required pulling the fiber cable through the 1200 ft. flexible plastic conduit that the copper phone line ran in.*  It was also an offer I couldn't refuse because the copper cable in the street had deteriorated to the point that the guaranteed DSL bandwidth couldn't be met.  They said copper service for DSL & landline voice would be discontinued in 2021.  I only needed the free hook-up to induce me to sign-up.  The bandwidth had deteriorated to the point that I couldn't watch Netflix until after 10PM.  Also, I need DSL speed internet for my consulting work.  The DSL service was so bad at times I used my smart phone as a wifi hot spot.

The TV in the living room has built in wifi & the one in the bedroom I used a Blueray disc player that has wifi to access Netflix.

*Even though the conduit was laid in a straight line the contractor couldn't run a fish all the way through it.  They had to install a Christy box halfway between the street & house.

We finally got completely moved in to our new house in Buzzard Hill.  We went with Dish for TV, but internet service out in the sticks is terrible, and only available through Hughes which is worse than dial-up.  We checked into the Verizon MiFi Jetpack, which is basically a stand alone cellular hot spot for internet.  According to the Verizon website, we weren't supposed to have coverage in our area, but our cell phone coverage was excellent.  Verizon has a 14 day money back guarantee so we decided to give it a try to see how it compared to cable internet.  To our surprise, the cellular internet was even faster than our cable internet in town.  So as far as internet goes, we are happy campers.  We're still in the unpacking and setting up stage at the new house, so we haven't tried the Firestick on our new internet set up.  But based on our current internet speeds, I see no problem in running the Firestick through our cellular internet.

We use fire stick and Apple TV ... but we like the fire stick much more. We don’t miss cable at all ... it’s only $50.00 or so. Get it, test it out with some free introductory subscriptions to Hulu and Netflix like services for a month and see if you miss cable enough to justify the $250.00 a month they want to charge now a days. We didn’t. 

Got mad at Dish Network a few years ago, and checked out Fire TV.  We now have four of them.  We subscribe to Hulu, Disney Plus and Netflixs.  Our bill dropped from almost $100 per month to about $30.  I have no desire to ever go back to satellite or cable.

Cut the cord years ago I run a Chromecast or use the xbox one.

We stream netflix, hulu, hbomax, peacock, disney+ and vudu mostly.

I have had popcorn, tubi and pluto but stopped looking at them

For isp until last month I was tickled pink with unlimitedville but they lost their providers for now? So I hopped over to nomad internet. Unlimited cellular connection up to 500 gigs a month.

We have a very nice 46" Samsung TV that Netflix says is "outdated" and they will not support any more.
This means the Netflix client built into the TV will no longer connect.

To get around this, we use a Firestick that connects to our Netflix account.
I have a steady 35 mbps download data rate at the TV, so it performs correctly.

I'm replacing it with a media server that is internet connected and drives the Samsung TV through an HDMI connection.
As noted above, having sufficient bandwidth is crucial for it to operate correctly.

We find the movies on Amazon Prime are lame, so we don't use that part at all.
A media server will let me play anything from the internet, including Netflix streaming.

Archived