SASS Wire Forum

Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones, Jr.

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

Two former champions in their 50s met in the ring last night (the day after I posted about how at 44 I could never get in the ring again!).  It was an unofficial exhibition match with 8 two-minute rounds and 12 ounce gloves.  I was a bit surprised at the 12 ounce gloves.  Contrary to popular opinion, gloves protect the *hands* of the puncher, not the body / face of the one being hit.  In fact, the heavier the gloves, the *MORE* impact the guy getting hit feels.  But breaking hands is a real issue.  Heavyweights by rule in WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO (the professional bodies), USA Boxing (olympic / amateur sanctioning body), and Golden Gloves all use 16 ounce gloves, but exhibitions are not sanctioned by any of the major sanctioning bodies and therefore don't have to follow their rules.  

So why the 12 ounce gloves?  Maybe guys in their 50s were worried about fatigue onsetting earlier than when they were in their primes.  Holding your hands up is DIFFICULT when you've been going toe-to-toe, and the more weight on your hands, the worse it gets.

***SPOILER ALERT*** The judges ruled this one a draw, but I'm agreeing with a lot of commentators who say they did that only because it was an exhibition and they felt sorry for Jones.  Tyson DOMINATED that fight.  His head movement even looked like it did back in the 80s when he was training under Cus D'Amato and Kevin Rooney.  Jones tried to keep Tyson, who likes to fight inside, off him with a jab.  But Tyson's head movement made that nearly impossible.  So Jones ended up buying time by clinching Tyson constantly.  He was scared of Tyson, period, and I don't blame him.  That man's punches still look brutal.  

I was at a sports bar in Oregon that had fist impressions of various heavyweight boxers mounted on the wall where people could compare their fist size to the fists of Ali, Tyson, Frazier, etc. 

Mike Tyson’s fists are huge. I wear XXL. gloves. Two of my fists fit in the area his fist covers. I wouldn’t want to find out how much area his fist covers on my face. :lol:

It was interesting to say the least .

As a Tyson fan I never thought I would see him in the ring again .

He looked great for a 54 year old man in a boxing ring. 

Just Sayin. 

Rooster 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:32 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was at a sports bar in Oregon that had fist impressions of various heavyweight boxers mounted on the wall where people could compare their fist size to the fists of Ali, Tyson, Frazier, etc. 

Mike Tyson’s fists are huge. I wear XXL. gloves. Two of my fists fit in the area his fist covers. I wouldn’t want to find out how much area his fist covers on my face. :lol:

If you watch film of all the fighters -- old and new -- I've never seen anyone hit as hard as he did.  He was downright scary to watch, and I wasn't getting in the ring with him!  Frank Bruno admitted he had nightmares about Tyson after their two fights.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did you ever think of being a referee or judge?

Funny you should ask.  USA Boxing, the sanctioning body for amateur boxing throughout the US, including the olympics, is headquartered where I live.  They are currently recruiting me to become a certified official and I've expressed interest.  Before you can be a judge or referee, you have to be certified in the less fun roles and work your way up -- timekeeper, equipment manager, weigh master, etc.  

To be honest, I like the sportsmanship in amateur boxing a lot more than professional.  The pros act like the ghetto rats I used to arrest in my former LEO career.  Amateurs may or may not think that way, but they are not allowed to act that way.  

On 12/1/2020 at 7:16 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did you ever think of being a referee or judge?

Hey Marshal, I just passed my level 1 exam to be a timekeeper, clerk, and equipment judge.  The referee and judge certifications come later, but I'm now officially an official anyway.

Archived