SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 Issues

Worstenemy453

Hello all,

I'm new to Marlins/levers and have an issue with my 1894 in 44mag. I had the marlin Jam and seem to have a worn out carrier. I have been attempting to purchase a new one but everyone is out of stock. I have read on here about people having theirs rewelded etc and was wondering if anyone here provided that service or anything.  I have shot this thing in 6 months+ and I miss it =(

Contact Gunner Gatlin on this forum.     He embeds a piece of carbide steel in the carrier ramp at the correct angle

and you should NEVER experience wear on the carrier ramp again.

..........Widder

14 minutes ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Coping saw blade and jbweld fixed mine 20 plus years ago. Not fancy but still running. 

Fix mine same way many times for others.

It actually locked up shooting Hornady Leverevolutions when I took it out for the first time after purchasing. It locked up so tight that I couldnt do anything with it. It had shot fine all afternoon prior.  After getting it home and apart it appears to be some wear on the carrier. I hadn't noticed anything seeming lose prior, but someone gave me some good information regarding tuning these things once its fixed from 24hourcampfire.

I believe Jackrabbit will be handling my carrier repair for me, and then I'll try to fine tune from there. 

1 hour ago, Worstenemy453 said:

It actually locked up shooting Hornady Leverevolutions when I took it out for the first time after purchasing. It locked up so tight that I couldnt do anything with it. It had shot fine all afternoon prior.  After getting it home and apart it appears to be some wear on the carrier. I hadn't noticed anything seeming lose prior, but someone gave me some good information regarding tuning these things once its fixed from 24hourcampfire.

I believe Jackrabbit will be handling my carrier repair for me, and then I'll try to fine tune from there. 

Interesting.

What is you OAL of those Leverevolution rounds?

In the Marlin 1894,  longer rounds feed better with slower timing on the carrier ramp.

When the ammo has a shorter OAL, faster timing is more appropriate.

Slower timing allows the longer rounds to clear the portal before the carrier blocks part of the portal.

Faster timing allows shorter rounds to clear the portal before the carrier blocks part of the portal a little quicker.

If you want your rifle to feed a wide variety of OAL ammo and bullet styles, build a 'Timing Curve' into the carrier.

Good luck.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Interesting.

What is you OAL of those Leverevolution rounds?

In the Marlin 1894,  longer rounds feed better with slower timing on the carrier ramp.

When the ammo has a shorter OAL, faster timing is more appropriate.

Slower timing allows the longer rounds to clear the portal before the carrier blocks part of the portal.

Faster timing allows shorter rounds to clear the portal before the carrier blocks part of the portal a little quicker.

If you want your rifle to feed a wide variety of OAL ammo and bullet styles, build a 'Timing Curve' into the carrier.

Good luck.

..........Widder

I really want to shoot anything. I absolutely love a lever rifle

I'll have to see if I have any more of them here but here is the Hornady data less OAL

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/44-mag-225-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/#dealer-map

Just now, Worstenemy453 said:

Yes. The plan was to buy a new one but no one has them now, so my only timely choice is to fix this one 

Fix what you have. That one is better made than the newer version. 

OLG 

Yep that is the old style carrier and the photo does not clearly make for the eye to see.  Like Lumpy said usually there is a notch on the carrier. I would have to see this closer. I would build up that under side. Need better photo of underside.

By the way what is that number you sent Worst Enemy 6406422047. Is that a phone? If it is its full & won't accept my call.

What size bullet 240LRN. 230LRN. ??.AOL ??,   Red Dot, Unique??

JRJ

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Yep that is the old style carrier and the photo does not clearly make for the eye to see.  Like Lumpy said usually there is a notch on the carrier. I would have to see this closer. I would build up that under side. Need better photo of underside.

By the way what is that number you sent Worst Enemy 6406422047. Is that a phone? If it is its full & won't accept my call.

JRJ

The round that Jammed it was Hornady Leverevolution Hornady factory loads. They were 225 Ballistic Tip, I had shot Winchester Silver box deer/bear loads with no issues and some reloads that I dont recall off hand what they were with no issues. The hornady is the one that jammed it up.

I did see your call, I'm sorry, have my son today so typically ignore my phone for the most part. 

I just want to do whatever I need to do to ensure that this never happens again, the gun functions more reliably, and I dont have to worry about a new carrier any time soon.  I plan on shooting this gun quite often.

4 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

JRJ

JRJ,

The LEVERevolution round is a little funky.  The bullet itself is a Lead Core, JHP that is cone shaped with a flexible tip.

There are no listed specs for OAL.

Muzzle Velocity from a 7-1/2" barrel is listed as 1410fps

proxy-image.jpg

Seeing this Leverution ammo,  I'm wondering if the points are flattering out in the magazine tube making them a shorter than out of the box. 

Maybe try (in a safe environment) just loading two in the magazine and see if they feed.  If they do,  try a few more.  I'm thinking the full stack is mashing out the points. If you have the stock magazine spring in the gun, it's likely more powerful than it needs to be.  Reducing the length of the spring may help.

Worst Enemy 453 I strongly think that you should take your rifle to a gun smith & let him look over your problem as  it may not be the carrier at all that is causing your problem..

Wish you the very best pilgrim..

JRJ

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Worst Enemy 453 I strongly think that you should take your rifle to a gun smith & let him look over your problem as  it may not be the carrier at all that is causing your problem..

JRJ

I agree JJ.     I also think Warden has a good idea to try before going any further.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Plus one for Gunner Gatlin, he fixed my carrier on my Marlin 44 mag. several years ago, after 30 years the carrier had a grooves, didn't have any problem YET, but the season was over and got rid of Murphys Law and had it repaired.............still looks like new.

That is why i am interested in having this thing worked on, even if its not the cause. Id like this gun to last. 

8 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

JRJ

I unfortunately dont know any competent gun smiths around me i can trust. Its all "AR Builders" and no real gun smiths that i can tell. I am located in Fredericksburg, VA. Im still interested in having you modify my carrier though while the gun is apart to head off any future issues. 

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP, if the rifle locked up when you fired the round.

It's not the carrier.

Were you able to open the bolt? Did it double feed?

Could you get the case to come out of the chamber at all?

OLG 

I fired the round, went to cycle the action and it froze up. Bolt would not open, had to disassemble the rifle, no double feeds and honestly now i do not recall if the case got stuck or not, but im leaning towards no it wasnt stuck. 

I was given this link, but id rather find someone that has spent more time in a lever action to perform it vs trying to do it myself.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm

Worstenemy453: Best of luck to you and do hope you get this solved.

Let me know what you do find out down the road.

Best choice for you is to have gun smith take good look see at your problem pilgrim.

16 hours ago, Worstenemy453 said:

The round that Jammed it was Hornady Leverevolution Hornady factory loads. They were 225 Ballistic Tip, I had shot Winchester Silver box deer/bear loads with no issues and some reloads that I dont recall off hand what they were with no issues. The hornady is the one that jammed it up.

I did see your call, I'm sorry, have my son today so typically ignore my phone for the most part. 

I just want to do whatever I need to do to ensure that this never happens again, the gun functions more reliably, and I dont have to worry about a new carrier any time soon.  I plan on shooting this gun quite often.

Wait!!  Stop!  There's nothing wrong with this excellent carrier.  According to what you said, the gun works fine with "Winchester Silver box deer/bear loads with no issues and some reloads that I don't recall off hand what they were with no issues."   This would indicate that you don't have a gun issue, you have an ammo issue.  

Before doing anything else, try running the rounds through a Lee Factory Crimp die.  

Only after you have eliminated other causes, then consider the rifle.  If you are going to get the rifle carrier retimed to just shoot this Leverevolution ammo, that's one thing... but then it may not shoot the other ammo.   Just settle on the length and ammo you want to shoot through this gun and go with it.  Not everything will feed.   

Worstenemy453 Go to cowboy match see if some one there shooting 44 magnum and try some of their magnum rds in your rifle & see what transpires in doing so. Then let me know more as to what happens if carrier or not.

Best to you & let me know pilgrim.

Awaiting your find.

JRJ

Worstenemy453:  Look pilgrim don't get discouraged over this there is an answer for this & we are all trying to help you get this 44 magnum rifle of yours to be in top condition. keeping you on the right track.

So hang in there. Where there's a will, there is a way..

Best to yah pilgrim.

JRJ

8 hours ago, Worstenemy453 said:

I fired the round, went to cycle the action and it froze up. Bolt would not open, had to disassemble the rifle, no double feeds and honestly now i do not recall if the case got stuck or not, but im leaning towards no it wasnt stuck. 

Worst:

If the action wouldn't open, its not the typical 'Marlin Jam'.   The Marlin Jam occurs when the action is open (lever fully down) and

the jam prevents the action from closing..... or I should say, it prevents the lever from closing the action.

..........Widder

Marlin had an issue withe the plastic follower and leverevolution ammunition. Try putting a regular flat point round in the tube first, the the leverrevolution. solved my problem in 444 and 450 Marlin. Alternatively, replace the dollower with a metal one. It has something to do with the combo of a plastic follwer and the soft nose effecting the timing. Never got a straight answer from Marlin, but the fix worked.

9 hours ago, Worstenemy453 said:

That is why i am interested in having this thing worked on, even if its not the cause. Id like this gun to last. 

I unfortunately dont know any competent gun smiths around me i can trust. Its all "AR Builders" and no real gun smiths that i can tell. I am located in Fredericksburg, VA. Im still interested in having you modify my carrier though while the gun is apart to head off any future issues. 

I was given this link, but id rather find someone that has spent more time in a lever action to perform it vs trying to do it myself.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm

Were you able to open the bolt at all?

Can you post a picture of the fired case?

OLG 

“lever revolution” for a pistol caliber round?  made more sense for .30-30 than RNFP 44 mag.  ditch that ammo and leave your carrier alone.

Archived