SASS Wire Forum

Dropped Pistol

In 11 years of CAS, I’ve never dropped a pistol. Today was my first. I was having a great run (for me) and had just completed the rifle and pistol strings. All I had to do was put the second pistol in the holster then shoot 2 SG rounds. Hooked it on the lip of the holster and splat. 

I swear that gun was talking to me saying, “dumb***s”.  :blush:

I fell down over a prop one time and had a pistol come out of a holster and got a DQ once .

Son of @  %#$%#

Actually, there really ARE two kinds of SASS shooters!

There are those who have dropped a gun and there are those who WILL drop a gun!

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I used my shotgun as a javelin today if it makes you feel any better.

It made me feel better..... and I wasn't even at the match.  :lol:

..........Widder

I did it once years ago, it was a beautiful nickled Colt. I missed the holster and it dropped right on the gravel! I was more bummed about the couple tiny scratches than I was about the SDQ!

I sat on a stool to start a stage oncet, and being seven feet tall, my knees were up under my chin, so both holsters were turned upside down and both loaded pistols fell out in the dirt.  :(

4 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I sat on a stool to start a stage oncet, and being seven feet tall, my knees were up under my chin, so both holsters were turned upside down and both loaded pistols fell out in the dirt.  :(

Years ago for that reason, our club stopped writing stages that started from a seated position. 

7 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Starting from a sitting position with a Buscadero rig and the loops unfastened is asking for trouble.

I would consider such a stage unsafe and refuse to shoot it.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:47 PM, Tennessee williams said:

I used my shotgun as a javelin today if it makes you feel any better.

Don't worry, Widder will never mention it.:lol:

19 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Tell that story!!!

Well. It all started when I was on the way to the range. I was minding my own business driving down the interstate when I seen some smoke off to the side. I figured I'd check it out. When I got to the smoke, it turned out there was a fire at an orphanage. I jumped out and ran in and hauled the last 7 kids down 3 flights of stairs and brought them to safety. People were applauding and trying to get me to sign autographs and give me money. I just said no thanks and headed on to the range.

I got loaded up and shot the first stage, handily beating Cap'n BB and just having a great time. I got to stage 2 and was on the firing line. Just before the beep, I felt something hot in my boot. It was a hot ember left over from that orphanage that finally made its way into my boot. I figured I'd just muscle my way through the stage and started my shotgun. I got the first 2 shots off fine, but since I was in a hurry when I shucked my second pair of shells I ended up just throwing the shotgun! It was such a horrible tragedy people wept. I tried to console the spectators that were gathered around to no avail. Everybody was just so upset they didn't get to watch the rest of what was surely going to be a magnificent run that would be talked about for years to come.:ph34r:

Actually, I have no clue how I slung it so far forward. I was shocking my second pair rather vehemently. I guess my hand just decided to let go. I even looked to see if maybe my hands were wet, but nope.

Not sure what's worse, the penalty or throwing your gun in the gravel.

Few years ago there was a shooter whose shotgun self disassembled mid stage. Shooter was left holding the receiver and butt stock in his hand with the barrels and forearm lying on the ground. 

I am pretty sure it was captured on video but I couldn't find it.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:29 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I did it once years ago, it was a beautiful nickled Colt. I missed the holster and it dropped right on the gravel! I was more bummed about the couple tiny scratches than I was about the SDQ!

I get it.  During one of my first matches, I got too close to window sill and caught the pistol's hammer on the sill edge as I was drawing.  It knocked the gun straight down into the gravel resulting in an MDQ.  I still have the scratches on that Ruger  to remind to not get so close.

1 hour ago, Ozark Shark said:

I get it.  During one of my first matches, I got too close to window sill and caught the pistol's hammer on the sill edge as I was drawing.  It knocked the gun straight down into the gravel resulting in an MDQ.  I still have the scratches on that Ruger  to remind to not get so close.

Saw that happen to a B Western shooter in Ohio at an annual match. Let me slip into first. Felt like a cheap win.

Dropped an unloaded pistol one time.  About ten years ago up at Eldorado I was running between shooting positions (back then I could actually still run) and felt a horrible pain on the instep of my left foot.  I had either missed the holster or it bounced out while I was running and it landed on my foot and I kicked it about ten yards down range.  Gun got a couple of nasty gouges and my foot was black and blue.

5 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Well. It all started when I was on the way to the range. I was minding my own business driving down the interstate when I seen some smoke off to the side. I figured I'd check it out. When I got to the smoke, it turned out there was a fire at an orphanage. I jumped out and ran in and hauled the last 7 kids down 3 flights of stairs and brought them to safety. People were applauding and trying to get me to sign autographs and give me money. I just said no thanks and headed on to the range.

I got loaded up and shot the first stage, handily beating Cap'n BB and just having a great time. I got to stage 2 and was on the firing line. Just before the beep, I felt something hot in my boot. It was a hot ember left over from that orphanage that finally made its way into my boot. I figured I'd just muscle my way through the stage and started my shotgun. I got the first 2 shots off fine, but since I was in a hurry when I shucked my second pair of shells I ended up just throwing the shotgun! It was such a horrible tragedy people wept. I tried to console the spectators that were gathered around to no avail. Everybody was just so upset they didn't get to watch the rest of what was surely going to be a magnificent run that would be talked about for years to come.:ph34r:

I told everyone that he's the biggest liar in TN.   He's been saving this Tall Tale for a couple years now.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Bet you had a look to behold on your face watching it go downrange.:)

Eyesa,

Ole TN can't see far enough to notice things 'down range'.   :lol::D

..........Widder

True story about TN Williams:

A few years back (and about 200+ Nanner Splits ago), TN was reloading for an upcoming match when he spilt

a 100 round pack of primers on the floor.   No big deal as he would just kneel down and pick them all up, counting to make

sure he got them all.

Well, when he knelt down, his knee cap got a 'bulls eye' center hit by one of those primers.   By the way, they were Small Pistol 

non-magnum primers.   The 'pop' blew a hole in his bluejeans and scared his knee cap quiet nicely.   To this day, it still looks

like a 'sun burst' birth mark.

To say the least, it nearly blew his brains out..... :P

And NOW you know the rest of the story.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And NOW you know the rest of the story.

..........Widder

And I ain't even told anybody how unscrupulous you are. Well, I have to now.

With all the primer shortages going on, Widder has hit a gold mine. He's started setting up at gunshows. He's selling once fired primers for 40.00 a thousand. He's already sold 3 people the same ocean front property and made a small fortune selling his neon green toenail clippings on the interwebs.

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

He's started setting up at gunshows. He's selling once fired primers for 40.00 a thousand.

Hey.....iffen you's sure they's only once fired.......I'll take a thousand.

Archived