SASS Wire Forum

Real Italian pizza and sausage

Rye Miles #13621

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

People from the east coast actually do call it gravy. It must be a regional thing from what part of Italy your family comes from. Both sets of my grandparents and my dad were born in the Foggia area (Puglia) and they ALWAYS called it sauce never gravy. I’ve got a couple friends whose families call it gravy. All my aunts, uncles cousins etc all call it sauce. :)

So did you have a pot of Sunday Sauce going today, with fresh bread for dunkin', provolone cheese on the side, and table wine to wash it down?

6 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

So did you have a pot of Sunday Sauce going today, with fresh bread for dunkin', provolone cheese on the side, and table wine to wash it down?

Don't I wish?? Those were the days my friend! Meatballs fried before they went into the sauce and we'd sneak one! Mom was pretty quick with that wooden spoon so you had to think fast! :lol:

The New York/New Jersey, Italian part of my dad’s family all called it sauce and not one of them ever made meatballs!!  They always added chunks of Italian Sausage that had been browned in a large iron skillet!  

Most of them were Sicilian, but some were from around Turin as well.

EDIT: The only cook in the family who made meatballs was my mother, a hillbilly from Tennessee.  Everyone liked ‘em, but they all swore that meatballs weren’t really Italian!!

On 11/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What's your problem with the picture I put up about a couple pieces of pizza that are made by an Italian family with a piece of sausage like most Italians ate at home. My whole point was this is how most Italians ate pizza at home! It's got a couple different kinds of cheese, Parmesan and Romano and sauce. 

I don't appreciate your telling me my standards for pizza are low! What kind of remark is that? Chill out will ya or move on!

i think my problem with it is the plastic wrap ................................and not having any here maybe 

On 11/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What's your problem with the picture I put up about a couple pieces of pizza that are made by an Italian family with a piece of sausage like most Italians ate at home. My whole point was this is how most Italians ate pizza at home! It's got a couple different kinds of cheese, Parmesan and Romano and sauce. 

I don't appreciate your telling me my standards for pizza are low! What kind of remark is that? Chill out will ya or move on!

sorry for the double post - im hungry right now 

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

i think my problem with it is the plastic wrap ................................and not having any here maybe 

The plastic wrap keeps it fresh and kinda moist not dried out. It's terrific stuff. The sausage was a little too hot and spicy for me though, I prefer a milder version.

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The New York/New Jersey, Italian part of my dad’s family all called it sauce and not one of them ever made meatballs!!  They always added chunks of Italian Sausage that had been browned in a large iron skillet!  

EDIT: The only cook in the family who made meatballs was my mother, a hillbilly from Tennessee.  Everyone liked ‘em, but they all swore that meatballs weren’t really Italian!!

All my aunts, my mom and both grandmas all made meatballs! They all got their recipes from family in Italy so they've been making meatballs for many generations from where my family comes from. Foggia Italy (Puglia region)

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Was there a difference in the thickness of their crust between the sausage chunk pizza and meatball pizza?

42 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The plastic wrap keeps it fresh and kinda moist not dried out. It's terrific stuff. The sausage was a little too hot and spicy for me though, I prefer a milder version.

Sweet sausage for the win.

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Was there a difference in the thickness of their crust between the sausage chunk pizza and meatball pizza?

That sauce wasn't used on pizza.  Served over pasta, usually fettuccine or linguine.  Pizza was always cracker thin, crispy crust with a sweet tomato sauce and mozzarella.  Sometimes one of my aunts would throw on some pepperoni and my mom would put ground up Italian sausage on the ones she made.  You wanted the crust to be just pliable enough to fold it in half so's you could eat it with one hand and hold your drink in the other!!

I really miss the wheat dough. After trying to make GF crust from scratch many times, I just buy Freshetta GF with pepperoni and add salami, green bell pepper, onion and more mozzarella. You do what you have to. At least GF pasta is okay with sauce (either white or red).

On 11/29/2020 at 8:46 AM, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Most of our beloved dishes of today, regardless of ancestry, began as peasant dishes.

Limited money + what was available/in season decided what was for supper.

Justin Wilson of Cookin' Cajun always said you cook what you like and what you got.

Archived