SASS Wire Forum

Real Italian pizza and sausage

Rye Miles #13621

19 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Your standards for pizza are very low. 

True, great pizza begins with the foundation of great crust, but so much more makes a great crust into great pizza. 

PS. That crust looks more like focaccia than a pizza crust. 

It's great!! It's real Italian pizza from an Italian store here and I'm 100% Italian ! Trust me it's good!;)

30 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

Really? I was expecting a tasty recipe from an Italian guy.

This is one Italian guy that can't cook worth a darn!:P

55 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’ll bite. What else is there besides crust and sausage?  You have me intrigued.  

What's your problem with the picture I put up about a couple pieces of pizza that are made by an Italian family with a piece of sausage like most Italians ate at home. My whole point was this is how most Italians ate pizza at home! It's got a couple different kinds of cheese, Parmesan and Romano and sauce. 

I don't appreciate your telling me my standards for pizza are low! What kind of remark is that? Chill out will ya or move on!

9 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Rye, I would be delighted to share that with you!  Save me a Big piece!!

I’m sorry JBar  I ate it all!! I’ll save you some next time!!:)

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What's your problem with the picture I put up about a couple pieces of pizza that are made by an Italian family with a piece of sausage like most Italians ate at home. My whole point was this is how most Italians ate pizza at home! It's got a couple different kinds of cheese, Parmesan and Romano and sauce. 

I don't appreciate your telling me my standards for pizza are low! What kind of remark is that? Chill out will ya or move on!

Rye, my apologies for a miscommunication.  On my computer the picture looks like an overdone piece of bread and a sausage, all wrapped in plastic.  I thought it was a joke and responded accordingly.

I am glad you enjoyed your pizza.  My original response has been deleted.

RYE,

I was thinking that it might have a pinch of garlic in it also..... ?

I could tell by the picture that it looked like the bread part had some cheese and tomato stuff.

Looked pretty good to me.

Heck, you can put real Italian Sausage on a buttered biscuit and it would be good.

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Pizza is an example of something that came to America as a simple dish, somewhat plain, got dressed up a lot and went home quite different.

You're exactly right Marshall, My mother's pizza, a recipe from my grandmother and her mother right from Italy was a thick bread with tomato sauce and some garlic, oregano and grated cheese. We then would wrap the sausage and make a sandwich out of it. Most Italians I know had homemade pizza very much like this.

The commercial pizza we all buy now is totally different but it's still good. ;)

37 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Pizza is an example of something that came to America as a simple dish, somewhat plain, got dressed up a lot and went home quite different.

This +100

Most of our beloved dishes of today, regardless of ancestry, began as peasant dishes.

Limited money + what was available/in season decided what was for supper.

I enjoy the stories about how certain dishes came to be, as much as the food itself.

(the stories are lower in calories, though)

Mangia!

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's got a couple different kinds of cheese, Parmesan and Romano and sauce

Sauce?

Thought it was gravy?

Well, you could consider it a tomato gravy, I guess. That was a good explanation of the early beginnings of pizza, Rye. Here, we've got several good shops, one is fairly close to me. Pizza is one of my favorite foods as long as you leave the anchovies off...........:blink::rolleyes::lol::blush:

We always called it sauce and gravy was brown but I found this at a store here! Yikes!!!

AAC46DEF-40C2-4879-A1ED-615EB36623C0.jpeg

Diced pepperoni, ground Italian Sausage, ground chuck, and ground lamb with mushrooms, red onion, and fennel lightly browned and simmered in your sauce/gravy for several hours.  Serve it over angel hair pasta that has been tossed in garlic butter and shredded Romano cheese! Lightly toasted garlic bread with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, olive oil and butter on the side!

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Rye, my apologies for a miscommunication.  On my computer the picture looks like an overdone piece of bread and a sausage, all wrapped in plastic.  I thought it was a joke and responded accordingly.

I am glad you enjoyed your pizza.  My original response has been deleted.

That is what I saw too, toast and a sausage link.  Looked light on ingredients.  Now we have a description clarifying that it is melted cheese.

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And it seemed to vary as much in the regions of Italy as it does here.  IE. New York v Chicago.

How do you define  pizza?  A Flatbread with stuff on top?  If that's it, then pizza goes back a couple of thousand years.

In Naples,  which is where the food variety we know as pizza here in the US originated, street vendors were selling Flatbread topped with oil, salt, garlic,  herbs, and maybe a little fish in the 1600s.

It didn't seem to have changed much by the 1800s, "In 1831, Samuel Morse – inventor of the telegraph – described pizza as a ‘species of the most nauseating cake … covered over with slices of pomodoro or tomatoes, and sprinkled with little fish and black pepper and I know not what other ingredients, it altogether looks like a piece of bread that has been taken reeking out of the sewer’."

1st pizzeria in the US opened in 1906.  The pizza was bread, sauce, and cheese. 

It wasn't until after WWII that pizza really gained widespread popularity in the US and gradually became the kitchen sink and fusion cuisine we see now.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How do you define  pizza?  A Flatbread with stuff on top?  If that's it, then pizza goes back a couple of thousand years.

In Naples,  which is where the food variety we know as pizza here in the US originated, street vendors were selling Flatbread topped with oil, salt, garlic,  herbs, and maybe a little fish in the 1600s.

It didn't seem to have changed much by the 1800s, "In 1831, Samuel Morse – inventor of the telegraph – described pizza as a ‘species of the most nauseating cake … covered over with slices of pomodoro or tomatoes, and sprinkled with little fish and black pepper and I know not what other ingredients, it altogether looks like a piece of bread that has been taken reeking out of the sewer’."

1st pizzeria in the US opened in 1906.  The pizza was bread, sauce, and cheese. 

It wasn't until after WWII that pizza really gained widespread popularity in the US and gradually became the kitchen sink and fusion cuisine we see now.

Ha ha who cares what Samuel Morse thinks of  pizza he’s not Italian!! :lol:

There’s also white pizza which is pizza with garlic and cheeses. Great stuff if it’s made right. My mother always made her regular pizza and at least one white pizza. I sure do miss her cooking! :(

32 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Why did I read this thread?

I've gained 3lb's and I'm hungry now.:D

Time to order some pizza!!:lol:

18 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

8112Jnx+EBL._SL1500_.jpg

People from the east coast actually do call it gravy. It must be a regional thing from what part of Italy your family comes from. Both sets of my grandparents and my dad were born in the Foggia area (Puglia) and they ALWAYS called it sauce never gravy. I’ve got a couple friends whose families call it gravy. All my aunts, uncles cousins etc all call it sauce. :)

My pizza dough is proofing in the oven right now. 'Bout 6pm I will make one awesome Pizza.

And Pizza ain't Italian any more. It's as 'Merican as apple pie, German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, French Fries, and Toyotas.

We appropriate the best of everything. That's what we roll.

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

People from the east coast actually do call it gravy. It must be a regional thing from what part of Italy your family comes from. Both sets of my grandparents and my dad were born in the Foggia area (Puglia) and they ALWAYS called it sauce never gravy. I’ve got a couple friends whose families call it gravy. All my aunts, uncles cousins etc all call it sauce. :)

Not the East Coast. The Yankee Northeast. They don't call it gravy in Florida, Georgia or the Cariolinas. :D

Archived