SASS Wire Forum

Diploma mill preachers

Alpo

There are places, commonly found advertising in the back pages of magazines, where if you mail them some money they will mail you back something that says you are an ordained minister of their Church.

I was just wondering if them being an ordained minister allowed them to perform weddings?

I see more weddings on the silver screen than I have in real life, and they always end with, "the power vested in me by the state of wherever, or by the city of Mumble mumble". That tells me that it is the legality of the marriage that is being mentioned.

I seldom hear, "what God has joined together let no man put asunder", which would be the religiousness of the marriage.

If I were to show up in, let's say Springfield Missouri, with a piece of paper that says I am an ordained minister, how could I go about getting "power vested in me" by Missouri? Or would the simple fact that I am an ordained minister be enough?

Call the Missouri Ministry of Ordination and Canine Apprehension and Detainment Department at 888-LICENSE....WWW. MomoCaDD.com. 

;)

Universal Life Church would fit the description.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_the_Universal_Life_Church

440px-ULC_ordination_map.jpg

Good to go in Missouri. But each "green" state might have some registration requirement... Guessing either state or county level.

A friend wanted me to perform the nuptials. I had to get a Notary Public cert. cost 20 bucks as I recall. I think the ordained minister thing depends on the state.

16 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Universal Life Church would fit the description.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_the_Universal_Life_Church

440px-ULC_ordination_map.jpg

Good to go in Missouri. But each "green" state might have some registration requirement... Guessing either state or county level.

I remember this outfit from the '70s.  My recollection is that you could be ordained for $5 but a Doctor of Divinity degree cost $20.

For my first semester at San Francisco State College I lived in Verducci Hall, the brand-new, 14-story dormitory.  The old saying was that that roommates were issued with the furniture. 

I got a sofa-bed, desk, chair, wastebasket, and the Reverend Ivan Jacob Finman.

Ivan was an Orthodox Jewish Buddhist Universal Life Church Reverend.  For the then princely sum of twenty bucks he had gotten his official "Doctor of Divinity" certificate.  He also dabbled in Hinduism and chanted "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo…” over and over and over for hours at a time.

The dude was a one-man culture shock for this Baptist country boy from West Texas.  :huh: 

Alpo, I have no idea about the minister thing, but if you come to Springfield,  there's 4 clubs close by and a cowboy shoot every weekend.

Irish Tom.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:46 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I had a friend who got a JP (Justice of the Peace).  His sig line was “I’ll marry anybody for five bucks.”  The state mandated fee was $5.  I took him up on it.

You married a Justice of the Peace??????? :)

Archived