SASS Wire Forum

I know this shouldn't bother me.

Utah Bob #35998

31 minutes ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

That could be the reason I only wear boots now. Well actually all my life.

Theses are boots. :D

When you originally lace your boots - when you run the lace through the two bottom holes and make sure that it is perfectly even - tie the lace together as close to the boot as you can with a square knot. Then lace the rest of the boot as normal.

This prevents the laces from slipping as you tie and untie and lace and unlace.

Your aglets will stay even.

Yeah I actually know the trick to keep them even. I used to wear jump boots for a living. I’m just old and lazy and never bothered to do it with these boots when I replaced the laces last years. :P

3 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

If those are real jump boots, thou shalt have the right side lace on top of the left side lace all the way down!

Not in my era. :D

Ain't life fun!

On 11/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

That could be the reason I only wear boots now. Well actually all my life.

I am guessing that they are period combat boots that you are wearing.  If they are, I noticed that the laces are criss crossed. If so, do U.S. troops lace them criss cross or straight across.  We always laced them straight across as it was easier and quicker to cut the laces if attending to a foot wound.  Just wondering, not criticizing.

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I am guessing that they are period combat boots that you are wearing.  If they are, I noticed that the laces are criss crossed. If so, do U.S. troops lace them criss cross or straight across.  We always laced them straight across as it was easier and quicker to cut the laces if attending to a foot wound.  Just wondering, not criticizing.

There are two ways of lacing. Cross Cross and Ladder style. At least in the old days. MPs tended to like the ladder style, because they wore white laces and it showed them off. Some troopers did too.  I never did. Too complicated for me.

Ladder Style

7C69C34E-8D3F-43A2-BB70-C38BE8F4A020.jpeg

D9E5125A-37B7-44A6-8246-E8E1D46E0A23.jpeg

At least your boots fit.  I broke a pinkie toe several years ago, and now finding boots that are comfortable is a real pain.  In the toe!

:(

One of the reasons I wear these jump boots is they're real wide in the toe area.

Another is ankle support.

Another is nostalgia.

Another is style points.

:D:D

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There are two ways of lacing. Cross Cross and Ladder style. At least in the old days. MPs tended to like the ladder style, because they wore white laces and it showed them off. Some troopers did too.  I never did. Too complicated for me.

Ladder Style

7C69C34E-8D3F-43A2-BB70-C38BE8F4A020.jpeg

D9E5125A-37B7-44A6-8246-E8E1D46E0A23.jpeg

I used to know how to do the ladder lace up but don't do it now. I never liked the leather lases though because when they get wet they can be a pain to untie.

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

it mostly bugs me when they come untied during the day , i like to double knot 

When I was in the Navy I always double tied my shoes or boots for the same reason. I remember once while I was talking to some fresh from bootcamp sailor who thought he was funny told my shoes were untied. I said thanks and he was perplexed that I didn't look when he said that. I told him that I always double tie them and they do not come undone. I still double tie my shoes but do it differently than the old way that I used. I wish I had a video to explain it but when you do the loop around the ears do it twice and pull tight.  Quick and easy.

19 hours ago, watab kid said:

it mostly bugs me when they come untied during the day , i like to double knot 

My nephew taught me a trick to that.  Tie them normally, but when you get to the part where you go around the rabbits ear, go around twice.  Holds all day long and unties like a regular knot with a single pull.   No need to double know anymore!  Been doing it for years--stays tight!

Archived