SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Subs Clumping in Bottle.

Snakebite

Over the past 55+ years of shooting Black Powder I think I've shot just about every brand of Real BP and Sub that has come along. Some of the Real BP was quite old when I got it... like REALLY OLD with the Dupont name on it.  but it performed just fine. I got a call from a guy last week that had bought a bottle of Black MZ at the Sportsman's Outhouse. When he got home and opened the bottle it was clumped up. He wanted to know what to do. I told him that several years ago I had the opportunity to pick up a couple cases of Pinnacle and Aliant Black MZ at a bargain price. Both of them were really badly clumped in the bottle. At first I was afraid that I had purchased a batch of fertilizer.  I beat the bottle on the edge of the work bench to break it up a bit then dumped it into a tub so I could finished breaking it apart. To my joy it shot just great in both cartridges and my C&B guns.  I've used many bottles of it since and though it is all clumped it has all worked very well. Has anyone had any negative experience using clumped BP sub powder?

Snakebite 

I have Pinnacle and Black MZ. I had the same experience with clumping but used same method as you to break it up. Never a problem going bang.

I've gotten accustomed to breaking up clumsy BlackMZ.  I just shake up the bottle.  I add another step and use a small funnel in the top of the powder measure reservoir that will catch any clump bigger than 1/4" diameter.  Always return unused powder to jug and close tightly. 

I don't mind the clumping, especially for the price.

I put a course screen over a plastic container and pour it onto the screen and tap the clumps with the bottom of the bottle to break it up.

Been shooting APP for many seasons now.  Have had some clumping and found the clumps easy to break up.  The powder ran fine through the Dillon and shot just fine.  Sort of an annoyance but no biggie.  Only takes a couple of seconds too clear.

I’m with Warden on this one, no problems with breaking up clumps, but when I get a bottle like that I make sure I run it through a funnel to seperate any clumps that I might’ve missed.  I’d also change the desiccant pack it’s obviously not doing any good anymore. :FlagAm:

Goex Pinnacle, APP, etc are/were all made by APP.  We have been using Pinnacle for over 10 years and it always clumped.  I just whack the bottle a few times on the edge of the bench to break it up then run it through a tight funnel on it's way to the powder measure.  The remaining clumps get caught in the funnel and are easy to breakup, and I think it makes for less dust than using a screen, but either method should be fine.  After doing that, we have never had a problem with the powder metering through the measure after that, although we always empty it after use.

Over the last 10+ years shooting BP, the only squib I ever had was at the Ides of November this month.  Not sure if it was a very light load, or a load slipped by with no powder in it, but it is the first and only one in thousands and thousands of rounds.

Humm, I wonder if putting it in a blender would do the job. How about one of you trying that and giving us a report on how well it worked. :ph34r:

As others have said, clumping of BMZ is normal and expected to me. Each time I open a new bottle, the 1st thing I do is shake it hard & pour the contents into a large tupperware container & break it up & pour it back in the bottle. Never had a partial filled bottle clump again while in my powder storage. Careful though, you might have a tendency to sneeze!

DC

3 hours ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

As others have said, clumping of BMZ is normal and expected to me. Each time I open a new bottle, the 1st thing I do is shake it hard & pour the contents into a large tupperware container & break it up & pour it back in the bottle. Never had a partial filled bottle clump again while in my powder storage. Careful though, you might have a tendency to sneeze!

DC

You told me you used a hammer!

I think every bottle of APP & Pinnacle I ever used was clumped when I first opened it. I just got a 1/4" dowel , poked out the big clumps, dumped it into a Tupperware container & mashed out the smaller ones. Didn't seem to have any problems when it was put back in the plastic jar. I always use a fairly small funnel when dumping from the plastic jar into powder measure to prevent an unfound lumps. Just S.O.P for me.

8 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Why does it clump though?  Does that mean it will clump in a loaded cartridge if you don't shoot it fast enough? 

If you do a proper load with slight compression of powder it kind of is a big “clump”...

I had the same problem here in SW Florida. I only use real BP now and have had no problems. Nothing like the real stuff and I feel bad for those that can't use it for one reason or another. Making smoke is the way to go.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:20 PM, Ramblin Gambler said:

Why does it clump though?  Does that mean it will clump in a loaded cartridge if you don't shoot it fast enough? 

APP has a propriety called "deliquescence" which basically means "to absorb water". When this happens it clumps but all you need to do is break up the clumps. I pour the powder out into a small bowl and use my hands to crush any clumps. Unless you live in the driest of deserts you will have this happen. The powder will still shoot fine as far as APP goes.

Lucky

Archived