SASS Wire Forum

Pistol 'reset' - whats the big deal

Widder, SASS #59054

Its seems like every video on YouTube about someones favorite semi-auto pistol

makes a big deal out of the 'reset'.   Better known as 'trigger reset'.

Yet I don't know a single person who can 'accurately' shoot one fast enough to

take advantage of a short 'reset'.

Heck, I don't even know anyone who can even 'Inaccurately' shoot one fast enough to

Any of you ever pay much attention to your 'reset' when shooting your semi-auto pistols?

What's the big deal with having a short 'reset'?

..........Widder

34 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Any of you ever pay much attention to your 'reset' when shooting your semi-auto pistols?

No. I personally believe this “reset” thing is a Twidgetty thing for some jasper(s) to get notoriety from in the tactical world or it’s just one more thing to get people to worry about to sell parts. 

Releasing the trigger just enough for the reset before the next shot does improve speed once you are fast enough to take advantage of it. For me, this barely started to matter at below one second per target

But then when you (well, when I :lol:) switch to a different firearm with a longer reset, I instantly go much slower because I then do not let off enough to get the reset. So then not only no bang, not even a click...

Trigger travel takes time and excess finger movement.  Sort of the same concept of a short stroke on the 73.  For most people, it's just shooting a gun they know is capable of much better performance than they are.  Gunsmiths and part manufacturers love them too.

Trap the trigger.

Reset.

Repeat.

Very effective and can be done quite quickly. Done properly and consistently, with the proper grip, it increases accuracy especially at medium to longer range distances and provides excellent consistent control over the pistol.  Ironically enough a great drill to develop this skill is the "dot torture" drill done at three yards.

Trying to shoot quickly incorrectly will develop the bad habit of slapping the trigger which only leads to inaccuracy, generally pulling the shot to the right or to the left depending on your dominant hand.

The trouble  is when you change guns, you modify your gun, the gun wears, the reset point changes. Relying on “reset” in a competition is one thing. Relying on it on a life and death situation? Could be fatal. 

I have learned to release the triggers on all my guns and fire quickly, not relying on a magical sweet spot for speed. I concentrate on sight picture and a steady but fast trigger pull and a proper but quick release and re-engagement of the trigger. 

If I shot the same gun or two guns all the time then maybe “trigger release” might be something to work on, but I shoot a variety of guns and to be perfectly honest, I don’t shoot in competitions where double action trigger pull is a factor. 

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The trouble  is when you change guns, you modify your gun, the gun wears, the reset point changes. Relying on “reset” in a competition is one thing. Relying on it on a life and death situation? Could be fatal. 

I have learned to release the triggers on all my guns and fire quickly, not relying on a magical sweet spot for speed. I concentrate on sight picture and a steady but fast trigger pull and a proper but quick release and re-engagement of the trigger. 

If I shot the same gun or two guns all the time then maybe “trigger release” might be something to work on, but I shoot a variety of guns and to be perfectly honest, I don’t shoot in competitions where double action trigger pull is a factor. 

You are correct. There can be a disconnect in maintaining a high level of proficiency between all makes and models of firearms. This is why I only train on one make. Glock. I don't put fancy aftermarket triggers in my guns either. All stock Glock so they all have an identical feel and reset. I think the generation 5 has the best trigger out of the box, for what that's worth... I can make everything else work just not as smoothly or efficiently as what I train on. In fact, as unfun as it sounds the only semi auto pistols that I have not lost in a boat accident are Glocks. And as of now they all have 3 round magazines to be compliant with incoming regulations. ;)

PLUS ONE for Widder!!  :)

It's the "same old same old" grifter pitches used in ALL the gun games.  A new Gee Whiz, guaranteed to take an over 50, Fat, Sedentary "wannabe" to the winners circle . . . . instantly.  Just buy and install out trix parts.  Understanding of course, NOBODY at the top of the gun games is winning with "Box" guns.  And no amount of trix parts will turn the clock to make ya 30 . . .  again. 

Ever notice all them TV/internet gu-roo's have a "gimmick? Just like the guys selling Ginzu knives, shamwow and spackle you can build a boat out of, they all have their "Gimmick".

Usually named after themselves, but not always. LOL

Go to most shooting schools that have quality instruction (meaning they been around decades) and you'll find mention of the trigger reset within the section of trigger control. There's more than just the reset. Just like a proper grip enables you to control the trigger better because your finger fits better, the grip itself helps to control muzzle flip and such so you can shoot more efficiently. A good stance also affects some of this (related to arm position) but its really minimal.

So yeah, trigger reset can be important but most people, ex-pecially running at speed aren't gonna notice if they did it right or not. Even when they DO hit the target! LOL

I've known a couple of people who shot competition with Glocks  (and probably other striker fired pistols) who trained & practiced enough that they could take advantage of the fact that the Glock trigger would reset before it returned fully forward. 

Not much different from the very best SASS shooters, if you find something that saves a 1/10 of a second per shot and shoot 100 rounds, you save 10 seconds on your overall match time.

I used to shoot with a young man named Racegunner. He could get off all ten rifle rounds accurately on multiple targets before the first piece of brass hit dirt. I'm thinkin' there were other techniques that made a bigger difference than trigger reset LOL.

Another new “gimmick” or “buzz phrase” is “Press Checking”. According to some Nimrods, one must always “press check” their semiauto pistols when loading them to verify the chamber actually has a round in it. 

Yeah, I can see this having deleterious consequences with newbie shooters. 

I watched a young guy at the range do this every time he inserted a magazine. He presses the slide back by placing his index finger over the muzzle of the barrel then pressing the slide backwards. His trigger finger was not on the trigger...thank goodness. After the third time I saw this I walked over and talked with him about why this wasn’t a good idea. 
He responded with (quite smart-Alec-like) “My instructor told me that pressing the slide back takes the gun out of battery so it will not fire.”

I said “Why risk blowing your finger off at the start and end of doing an unneeded press check?”

”My finger’s off the trigger.”

”Really? Every time?”

”Yes”

”Your sure?”

”Yes”

”Really?”

”Well...”

”Tell you what. Here is what I am going to do for you. I am going to tell the Range Master here about what I saw. Since it’s his liability if you blow your finger off and possibly hurt someone else press checking your gun in an unsafe and , in my opinion, totally unnecessary manner and he can decide what you should and shouldn’t do at this range. Every time I have seen you load your gun you turned the gun at a 45 degree angle to press check your gun, yet another safety issue as all muzzles must point down range at all times not at the stall wall next to you. 
How’s that work for you?”

I didn’t need to go tell the Range Master. As I was asking him the last question, Albert, the Range Master was making his way over to speak with Johnny Newbie Nimrod. Albert had seen what was going on as well. 

16 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Its seems like every video on YouTube about someones favorite semi-auto pistol

makes a big deal out of the 'reset'.   Better known as 'trigger reset'.

Yet I don't know a single person who can 'accurately' shoot one fast enough to

Heck, I don't even know anyone who can even 'Inaccurately' shoot one fast enough to

..........Widder

It’s just the latest buzz word. Our pistol/range instructor is enamored of reset. We have to practice letting off just enough to reset then shoot again. I have to force myself to keep my mouth shut. 

I shot IPSC for 7 years before CAS.

I paid for lessons when I could not move beyond 50% of shooters.

El Presidente is a stage with double taps on four targets, no-shows between, starting with the shooter facing up range and hands at surrender.  I was around 8 seconds.  My coach blasted a 2.4 time.

He taught me reset and aiming ahead to get my time in the mid-4 range.

The main thing that I wanted in my multiple 1911s was similar trigger pull and reset.

There are better shooters that get even more out this.

I think it was more important with DA/SA pistols with the first shot being DA and the follow-up shot being SA.  Especially if you are trying to shoot pairs.

As a Martial Arts instructor and master I feel strongly that this trigger reset is BS and dangerous.

When the crap hits the fan the first thing that you lose is fine motor control and you’re not going to feel that trigger reset. Missing the reset will not only cause a misfire but a moment of confusion as to why the gun didn’t fire. The only things you should be thinking about are your target and front sight.

3 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Pard, I do it all the time, with carry guns as well as competition guns.  It's a HUGE deal to me.

As it is for me.

Learned to do it in my first class at Gunsite, many decades ago.

OLG 

4 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I shot IPSC for 7 years before CAS.

I paid for lessons when I could not move beyond 50% of shooters.

El Presidente is a stage with double taps on four targets, no-shows between, starting with the shooter facing up range and hands at surrender.  I was around 8 seconds.  My coach blasted a 2.4 time.

He taught me reset and aiming ahead to get my time in the mid-4 range.

The main thing that I wanted in my multiple 1911s was similar trigger pull and reset.

There are better shooters that get even more out this.

That is not the El Presidente of today in USPSA. Three targets at 10 yards with 3 feet between each target. There are not no shoots between them. Shooter starts facing uprange (back to the targets) turns, draws and shoots 2 shots on each target, mandatory reload and 2 more shots per target.

Jeff Cooper came up with this drill before USPSA/IPSC. Originally it required being shot from concealment and 3 yards between targets. When incorporated into USPSA/IPSC it became a classifier stage still in use today. 

I thought I’d chime in and give my opinion.

Its more or less bs topic for those with monetized YouTube channels to generate views and revenue.

Or, it’s the latest topic to replace the mystery of head spacing.

Or, it’s something to talk about to break the monotony of discussing the merits of new cartridges unnecessarily created to replace perfectly adequate cartridges.

And there are a distinct few high skill marksman where this means winning or losing those coveted bragging rights

mfgers like Sig sell Short Reset Triggers.  if short resets were a true advantage, wouldn’t SRTs become the new standard?

every one of my hd/carry semi autos are stock.

I like my Sig Sauer pistols with the SRT kit in them.  I've trained to use them, and find the difference significant.  The difference between with SRT and without SRT is simply amazing.  It's more than just the length of reset, it's also the smoothness and weight of the trigger pull. 

And yes, some of their models come with the SRT installed, like the Legion, Tacops and Elite series.  

If while shooting, resetting the trigger on these guns is of no importance why do manufacturers all make triggers with an audible and tactile reset?

Closest I've come to worrying about trigger reset was when I changed springs in my Vaquero's. After years of shooting tuned Smith and Wesson's the 30 oz trigger spring just felt "soft" when it reset so I went to the 40 oz spring. Had nothing to do with shooting better or faster, just "felt" better.  

I've read this thread with some interest, and pondered it quite a bit. I've had more than a few shooters at the firearms counter over the years fixate on trigger reset. I mean fixate. No comment about things like take-up, crispness and the like, but they'd rack the slide again and again and feel for that reset.

I'll be honest, reset is something I don't think about when shooting. Should I? I don't know, perhaps. As I was reading this thread for the third or fourth time, I pulled out my Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm, and my Beretta 85F and unloaded them and squeezed the triggers, racked the slides, and paid attention to the reset. The 1911 is barely tactile, and the 85F isn't much better. I know there are many in the store I've tried that are significantly more noticeable. Will I think about it the next time I'm at the range with them? I don't know. Would it make me a better shooter if I did? Maybe?

Now, I certainly don't consider myself a fantastic pistol shooter. I will say I never failed to qualify Expert on a Combat Pistol Qualification Course in the however many times I shot it over the years. No, that doesn't mean I'm a great shooter, or on par with a lot of the guys that shoot IPSC and the like. But I like to think it means I'm competent. But all those times, I never thought about reset. Heck, I'm not even sure I knew what it was until guys started coming in and trying it when looking at pistols. I would (and still do) think about trigger squeeze often. Particularly when I was in the Army, since I typically didn't have the same pistol twice, I paid attention to things like crispness, stacking, creep and the like as I was getting some practice rounds in. Then, on the course, I was paying some attention to the trigger, and a lot of attention to my sights, particularly that front one.

If I were interested in competing at IPSC, USPSA or what have you, I might pay much more attention to it. For what I do though? I'll keep focusing on getting the trigger going backward as smoothly as possible.

Short reset is a curse when shooting an AR or 10/22 with with a binary trigger in binary mode.  I have a lower with a Fostech Echo II trigger.  The 1st time I tried binary mode I almost emptied a 60 round Magpul magazine when I pulled the trigger.  The very slight recoil was enough to reset the trigger.  I learned that to prevent simulated automatic fire you have to firmly hold the rifle butt against your shoulder & lean forward.  If operated so that the gun doesn't fire the 2nd shot until you deliberately rest the trigger you get fast & accurate double taps.   I bought it for grins & giggles.

Archived