SASS Wire Forum

Mary Ann

Sedalia Dave

‘Gilligan’s Island’ star Dawn Wells reveals what she’s grateful for in 2020: ‘This is the country I love’

The 82-year-old famously played Mary Ann Summers, an unapologetic 'good girl' who was stranded on an island with other castaways.

“I am grateful and proud to be an American,” Wells explained. “When I see Americans go into action to heal, serve and protect, or to lend a hand to a neighbor or community, it makes me proud to be living in America. I don’t want people to be disillusioned by the petty infighting that seems to dominate news cycles.”

“America is great,” she continued. “You may fight or disagree with your mother, but you will always love her and do what you can for her.  And so we should for each other.  This is the country I love. This is my home. I am thankful.”

Actress Dawn Wells visits Hallmark Channel's "Home & Family" at Universal Studios Hollywood on Sept. 30, 2019, in Universal City, Calif.

Dawn Wells portrays Mary Ann Summers in the CBS television program "Gilligan's Island." 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How old did you think Mary Ann was?

I saw that "82 years old" thing and decided that couldn't be right, so looked her up. When Gilligan's island first started Dawn Wells was 26 years old. Damn.

I figured she had to be older than she looked because before she was Mary Ann she was Miss Nevada, and she was married when the show was on .

But 26? It don't seem possible.

I remember one episode where she said something about "women and children first, and I qualify on both counts". I figured she was supposed to be 19 or 20.

Whenever someone poses the "Ginger or Mary Ann" question my first thought is the person asking the question must be very old.  We need to come up with ladies from the 21st Century.

53 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Whenever someone poses the "Ginger or Mary Ann" question my first thought is the person asking the question must be very old.  We need to come up with ladies from the 21st Century.

You mean like this hottie? Gal Gadot:wub:

image.png.1a0331ec25d1b4748eae12b4dda6561a.png

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ginger doesn't look so good at 83

image.png.8ca2aac68177daa3d574192c5bd6a85e.png

You can only stretch it tight so many times before it looks like shoe leather.  I don't understand why people think this makes them look better.  I miss the old (younger) Ginger.  Mary Ann was hot and more my type (petite).

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The kids played her stuff on the YouTube at Thanksgiving.  Lady is not the word I’d use.

My son is a co-writer for a song on Arianna's album a couple years ago. The song is "I can't quit you".

Say what you want about her but my son still gets royalty checks for that song. Cha Ching!!!

Cia also did it!!

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

My nephews are 20-somethings.  Their version is “Ramona or Envy”

7BD14719-78EF-4046-9948-C8AD26ABA44E.jpeg

6 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Is the Ginger character the reason why “ginger” is used as a nickname for redheads?

No, the nickname predates tv.  I remember books in school using gingers as a reference to an Irish group.

a1825 R. Forby Vocab. E. Anglia (1830) , Ginger, of a pale red colour, particularly applied to hair.

23 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Bruce Jenner?image.jpeg.a2473ce744990c133352cfce8ab6e583.jpeg

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

Bruce Jenner?

@Yul Lose I almost snorked coffee through my nose at at that comment!

Don't do that!

ya hey , dont do that - i just spilled beer all down the front of me - what a waste , i never thought much of ginger but marry ann was the stuff we dreamed of ...on occasion , 

i think her still attractive for that age group , some women age well , 

Okay, here's a variation...Angie Dickinson or Barbara Eden?

10 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, here's a variation...Angie Dickinson or Barbara Eden?

Brown haired, natural bust, Rio Bravo Angie Dickinson, or bleach blonde silicone Police Woman Angie Dickinson?

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Brown haired, natural bust, Rio Bravo Angie Dickinson, or bleach blonde silicone Police Woman Angie Dickinson?

Rio Bravo!

Archived