SASS Wire Forum

Subtle Active Resistance - Altering Your Wireless Network Name

Popcorn Kelly

I’ve had fun over the years altering my wireless network name to communicate sarcasm or make other points to others around me.   Let me explain. 

Most of us have had to connect a device (e.g., phone, tablet, PC, etc.) to a wireless network.  Recall that when you need to connect you are presented with a list of wireless networks available to you at that spot, whether it is in a restaurant, coffee shop, and even your home.  In this case, I'm altering my home network name to communicate certain themes to those living within range of my wireless signal.  

Here is an image of available networks to me in my home.  It should my network as well as several of my neighbors’ wireless networks within range.  In this case I renamed my Guest network to convey a message to my neighbors.  Guess which one (and I don’t own a cat)?

Although not difficult, you need to access your router to rename the network.  If you don't know how you can probably do a Google search and find instructions.  In this case, I renamed my Guest network so I don't screw up all my connected devices.  If you go this route, I suggest you do the same and alter only your Guest network.  

I'll likely rotate the messages I convey among a few I have in mind.  

Wireless Networks.jpg

I use "ICE_SURVEILLANCE"  :rolleyes:

Kind of appropriate for these parts these days.  <_<

Nobody’s in range of my wireless net.

Except maybe those black helicopters that keep flying overhead,

I just leave mine, the one I have now, as it was when it came out of the box.

A friend of mine said he was going to name his “Not free WiFi Dirtbags - get your own” or something to that effect. :lol:

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

When I first set up the Wi-Fi, I named it GET YOUR OWN DAMN WI-FI.

I've changed it a couple times over the years, but that was the original one.

Funny you and I posted at almost the same time. My friend’s was similar to yours. 

I one time saw FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN.
Before mine died, it was named TYPE 40 TARDIS

I'm considering adding a 2nd modem so I'd have two more network "billboards" visible in our neighborhood.  They'd be secured and pw protected, but not actually used for anything other than to post cryptic (OK maybe not so cryptic) messages.  

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I one time saw FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN.
Before mine died, it was named TYPE 40 TARDIS

I did something similar years ago. We had a neighbor who was a real conspiracy theory nut job. Named our network Surveillance Van 17

Archived