SASS Wire Forum

Favorite CW Carbine

Okiepan

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm glad your post explains that, because I was looking at the title trying to figure out what the hell a country western carbine was.

Same here. :D

53 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Sharps percussion carbine, because I have an original in shooting condition. Would love to have one converted to metallic cartridge, but those were post civil war. I’ve handled one and it’s a pretty slick piece of re-engineering. 

You can convert it yourself.  S&S Firearms sells conversion breech blocks.  Also available from Buffalo Arms

Everything you ever need to know about Spencer rifles, carbines, and shotguns

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Thanks, but this was made in 1863 and saw action. Gonna leave it alone. Will have to wait for one converted before me. 

Do you have any details about its service? How about a couple pics.

I have a 5th model Burnside carbine.  It's my favorite CW carbine for several reasons:  1- it's the only one I own :).  2- the ammunition design is extremely interesting.  3-  My great-great grandfather was a cavalry troop with Company A, 2nd Illinois Cavalry Regiment and was assigned a Burnside.  It wasn't the 5th model, but it was a Burnside nonetheless.  

Spencer!

Used my repro in a match last Sunday!:)

Had some fun on one stage - I shot the falling plate rack BACKWARDS! Back to front!

image.png.56fa8ff566e1f51e0b73958559b5cb5c.png

At a slight angle to the target, there was about 1/2" of plate visible. Aimed for that sliver of plate and got all five!:P

Henry made a good number of guns with shorter than 24" barrels.  Seen several in the museum in Indianapolis.

I have a Uberti Henry Trapper.

Single shot would be a Smith.  Simple, reliable and more powerful than some others.

Enfield carbine.

General John Hunt Morgan and his men carried them on his famous Raid, part of which passed through the land of my nativity.

They were carried because they could be fed with commonly available powder and caps, and if no Minie balls were ready, they could be stoked like shotguns.

My choice, because it was their choice.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Do you have any details about its service? How about a couple pics.

Records are incomplete so I can’t say this with certainty. But according to my research from a definitive book about them, it likely served in Grierson's cavalry brigade which consisted of the 6th and 7th Illinois and 2nd Iowa Cavalry regiments. This is the same outfit on which the movie The Horse Soldiers is loosely based. 

Here are a couple of pics of me shooting it a few years back. The flamethrower image shows a blank being fired for a Fourth of July event. Without a bullet, most of the powder burns outside the barrel!

image.jpeg.3547516ed4fcd74c0be5d4053cbe0d5a.jpeg

image.jpeg.4b958df3555a470a6cb2e35d11ac30c5.jpeg

Archived