SASS Wire Forum

Black POWDER Friday! Cap "squosing" added

Warden Callaway

We don't add to the Black Friday shopping frenzy.  There is nothing we need bad enough to get out. So, I decided it's Black POWDER Friday and got out my cap guns.

1065270540_PistolboxtrayJan2020.thumb.jpg.64fb77783e97005759b21ba05c5de282.jpg

982537033_Boxforblackpowder2Jan2020.jpg.e956b44cde4f700e461cdc753a5f8d1b.jpg

I'm taking my video equipment so my get something to publish. 

Anyone else shooting black powder today? 

22 minutes ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

I brought 10 black powder shells to the trap range 

one young boy watching his dad shoot said "Wow those are awesome "

Always a crowd pleaser!

I shot 72 balls this morning.  I had two camers set up plus my POV cam glasses. I haven't checked to see what I got.  It was to be overcast but the sun came out bright and the wind came up out of the north - blowing into my face. :unsure: Now, for the challenge, I just consumed a leftover Thanksgiving meal.  I'm fighting off a turkey induced nap! Cleaning the cap guns may have to wait.

11 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I loaded a hundred rounds of .45c with BP, does that count?

Imis

Back when I was in grade school,  you'd get an "I" for "incomplete".  But now they give an "E" for "effort". 

I got video.  It's nothing too exciting but maybe better than watching paint dry. It was too sunny a day with stiff breeze so there was no good smokeouts. 

I shot a double of 8 gauge 4", 10 full loads of 10 gauge 3-1/2', 30 .45 Colt in my Henry, 12, .41 Long Colt, 20 .45 Colt in Vaqueros, 100 .22 Long Rifle in my Les Baer and 12 .38 S&W Specials in my little "Lightnings".  :o

That was just another Saturday in my personal cowboy town. However, I also fired 3 rounds from my  cannon!  :wub:

The cannon was for celebrating remaining being alive!!!  :D

Well,  I stole enough time from my busy schedule to edit and upload the video that I shot on Black Friday.   I hope you find it entertaining. 

I ran into problems with my CCI #11 caps.  They were too loose on the nipples and I had two failure to fire on the first wack on two runs.  I didn't have this problem when I made a video of the Dixie Gun Works Yank 44.  100/100 went off fine.   It test fitted these CCI #11s on the Dixie Yank and they fit loose also. I may have to invent a cap sizer. I'm thinking about a miniature MEC Supersizer. 

Looking at picking up one of those pietta "51" .44's do you like them with the short barrel, have you shot the longer barrel for comparison?  I have the long barrel assembly from a friends gun that got scrapped, so I'll probably buy the short barrel version and swap the barrels back and forth until I decide which I like better, Anyone in the market for some AR-15 parts, I need to move them so I can afford to go get my '51...

25 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Looking at picking up one of those pietta "51" .44's do you like them with the short barrel, have you shot the longer barrel for comparison?  I have the long barrel assembly from a friends gun that got scrapped, so I'll probably buy the short barrel version and swap the barrels back and forth until I decide which I like better, Anyone in the market for some AR-15 parts, I need to move them so I can afford to go get my '51...

I like the 5-1/2" Confederate 44s just fine.  But the loading lever is too short to use to load.  It's handy to pull barrel off to load off the gun. 

I did a review of a Dixie Yank 44 that is a stubby 3".  I have a long barrel and shot both barrel lengths through chronograph to record velocity.  You may find it interesting. 

15 minutes ago, Crazy Cryder said:

I spent black powder friday rolling the up for some off season experimentation .

20201123_194458.jpg

I enjoy making my own paper cartridges, I need a better lube though, the pure bee's wax isn't soft enough and I don't keep tallow or crisco around the house.

54 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I enjoy making my own paper cartridges, I need a better lube though, the pure bee's wax isn't soft enough and I don't keep tallow or crisco around the house.

When I load on the gun I use a lube wad under the ball. The cartridges I use filler and then lube over the ball which worked great. This is an exercise in trying to be more efficient at monthly matches where posses are generally smaller, so I can pull my weight on posse duties. At major matches I intend to continue to load on the guns. Fun experiment though.

8 minutes ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Really enjoyed the topic Warden, really got me wanting to make some smoke again.  

Smoke if you got em.

I'm trying to "reform" the CCI #11 caps to a slightly smaller diameter so maybe they will fit tighter on the Pietta cap guns.  Just pinching them works but that kind of makes the Ted Cash capper useless and is darn cumbersome to get cap on nipple with my fat old fingers.  I did some research and found several ways people have tackled the task of "squosing" the caps smaller.  One guy shoved them into a 6mm socket. Others used a modified wire crimping tool. I modified a wire crimping tool but it was impossible to control the shape.  Often were crushed and oval shaped.  And hand locating the primer in the jaws was very cumbersome.  I solved these problems by placing the cap on a .154 diameter drill bit shank. I found one pinch pushed up two ridges on the skirt if the primer.   By turning the wire tool 90° and giving another squeeze,  I got better results.   

1095989066_CapresizingDec2020.jpg.d390650b834878af80c6fae3d9d3045b.jpg

If it warms up enough,  I may go out this afternoon and see if they feed ok through the Ted Cash capper and fit well enough on the nipples. They only need to be a couple thousands smaller. 

We were in a gunshop yesterday that actually had Remington #10 caps but at $10/100. Another had CCI #11 at $11.50/100.  

anyone going to frown on me using the 3D printed Polish capper if I show up to a match with one?  how about the 3d printed star capper for on the clock reloads?

Just now, El CupAJoe said:

anyone going to frown on me using the 3D printed Polish capper if I show up to a match with one?  how about the 3d printed star capper for on the clock reloads?

Nope. Might even ask you to print me one.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Nope. Might even ask you to print me one.

I added a couple to my Polish capper order since I was paying for shipping anyway.  I don't know if his introductory price is still good, but on the last day of november, I ordered the PCP, 80 capacity 3D printed version of the polish capper and 2 star cappers altogether and shipped for $24.90.  I'm looking forward to trying them out.

1 minute ago, El CupAJoe said:

I added a couple to my Polish capper order since I was paying for shipping anyway.  I don't know if his introductory price is still good, but on the last day of november, I ordered the PCP, 80 capacity 3D printed version of the polish capper and 2 star cappers altogether and shipped for $24.90.  I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Ah, I misunderstood; thought you were printing them yourself.

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Ah, I misunderstood; thought you were printing them yourself.

no problem, at about $2+ each plus shipping, I think the ones from Poland are probably a better deal than trying to set up and print your own. 

Hey Warden, put Tresso nipples in those pistols and you should have no more problems. I have been using #11 CCI Magnum caps for several years in my cap guns and they match up fine with the Tresso's

Lucky

+1 to Lucky:

I'd rather spend the $30, and get nipples that are made to fit the caps --Treso or Slix.

--Dawg

Here is a link to a post about caps/nipples for cap-n-ball revolvers:

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

1 hour ago, Lucky R. K. said:

Hey Warden, put Tresso nipples in those pistols and you should have no more problems. I have been using #11 CCI Magnum caps for several years in my cap guns and they match up fine with the Tresso's

Lucky

Do you have a specific source for these nipples?   

I'm finding 6 Treso nipples 6x.75 model #11-50-106 at $30 shipped. 

I looked at Track of the Wolf and they have several 6x.75 nipples listed but none of the dimensions match what I'm measuring from the original nipple.  I'm getting .538 overall, .19 cone height, and .230 threaded section. 

I can't find dimensions of the Treso nipples to compare with what I have.

I took my Dixie Yank out and shot 36 CCI #11 caps that I had "reformed" with the drill bit shank and modified wire crimping tool.  They all ran through the Ted Cash capper well and all fit tight on the nipples. All went off without incident. 

I have a method to make the CCI #11 work on my Pietta cap guns.  

(I still have 400+Remington #10) 

I'm working on a more sophisticated process to resize the caps.  Details latter. 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

+1 to Lucky:

I'd rather spend the $30, and get nipples that are made to fit the caps --Treso or Slix.

--Dawg

Here is a link to a post about caps/nipples for cap-n-ball revolvers:

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

thanks for posting that!

On 12/2/2020 at 10:28 AM, Lucky R. K. said:

Lucky

Likewise for Track's nipples and a bit cheaper. Only need to buy 5 per gun. I've been using Rem. #11's, but Track says they are made for CCI #11's. Just FYI

Hey Warden I got the Tresso's from Buffalo Arms a couple of years ago. The Tresso part number you listed is the correct one for the Pietta 1851 Yank revolver. I have attached a picture showing my pistol, label from the nipple pack, and copy of the Buffalo Arms invoice. Hope this is helpful.

Lucky

Tresso.jpg

Another Black Friday.   We went for a drive about that included stopping at three toy stores we hit a couple of times a year.  As things developed,   I ended up bringing this pair of Pietta 1860 Army home.  They were sold as used but only show handling marks.  

526476403_Pietta1860ArmyDec2020.jpg.5357270739113d8d83621056090f9ec3.jpg

I think I've came out OK on these cap guns.  I pulled the cylinders from both and checked to see if the nipples were stuck.  None were.  From the looks,  the guns have never been shot. 

I've been shooting the one not fit as well.  The wedge fell a little short of coming out the right side.  I've done some light hoaning of wedge and deburred the wedge slots and it's looking better.   I don't want to over do it wanting to wait and see if it wears in a little.   The action needs cleaned up.  I've not taken it apart.  

A nice surprise,  this gun shoots not outrageous high. At 10 steps it prints about 5" high. 

On the lube question about pure beeswax being too hard....Just melt it and mix it with about 10 percent Olive Oil...that will make a good stiff but not too hard lube and it wont melt all over the place on warm days or foul your powder charges even if loaded down on the powder under the ball.

8 hours ago, Brasspounder said:

On the lube question about pure beeswax being too hard....Just melt it and mix it with about 10 percent Olive Oil...that will make a good stiff but not too hard lube and it wont melt all over the place on warm days or foul your powder charges even if loaded down on the powder under the ball.

I was watching a video on Reloader's Network, FortuneCookie45 was talking about the toilet bowl wax rings, which I thought were pure beeswax, apparently they are 50/50 beeswax and a petroleum product, which make great smokeless lube, but the petroleum turns the black powder fouling into tar which I have noticed as I've been shooting my loads, so unless I can find a better source for beeswax, I may just pick up a tube of bore butter like all the cool kids do.

This adventure in getting another pair of cap guns started a couple of months ago when Sawmill Mary and I went to the Missouri State Match in Marshfield.  We didn't go to shoot but just wanted to hobnob some and to check out the garage sale. I spotted a pair of Slim Jim holsters that were same color as my belt.  Sawmill Mary protested that I didn't have guns with barrels that long but I said maybe I can find a pair. 

239956068_Pietta1860holstersDec2020.jpg.7401d5d58c7b0e89aa7a2e15cee1879a.jpg

They are made for 51s so the 60 barrels stick out a little.  I don't think it hurts a thing.

The olive oil/beeswax mix will not act badly when used with black powder or smokeless either one.  Ive found it entirely adequate and have used the 90/10 wax/oil mix for over a decade without any problems.  A two groove .45 rifle bullet (Lyman 454190) will shoot BP or Pyrodex all day in a 24 inch rifle barrel without any accuracy loss due to hard fouling if using this lube mix on the bullets.....

Clean up with just plain hot water....no problems, guns come clean  then dry and oil lightly.

Bp

Archived