SASS Wire Forum

Circular saw question...

Charlie Harley, #14153

This question has nothing to do with guns, libations, or MaryAnne :wub:,but I know there are a number of Saloonatics who spend substantial time in their shops and might be able to offer sound advice.

I have a Dewalt 10” job site circular saw in my shop.  Great tool for woodwork and furniture making.

I’d like to use it to cut steel pieces for a project. Diablo makes a 10” blade for such work, but everything I’ve read says it should run at 3000 rpm or less.  My saw runs at 5000rpm. 

Does anyone have advice for how to slow my table saw without ruining the motor?

Go to harbor freight today. Buy cheap saw. Cut metal. 

If cheap saw works... yay!

If cheap saw breaks good dewalt saw still works...yay!

If space is an issue sell cheap saw once done. 

If it is belt driven you can change pullies. A larger size on the blade will slow it down.  One the same size as is on the motor will give you 1750 rpm.

Duffield

My brother had a really good technique for cutting metal, concrete, etc. with a circular saw. Borrow your brothers saw and don't tell him why. Works once.

If you’re not familiar with cutting metals, take your material to a metal fab shop and have them cut it for you!  One mistake with a metal cutting saw can be catastrophic!  

I saw a young man killed when a blade like the one you describe shattered!

You need to use an abrasive cut off saw.

Don't ruin your wood cutting saw.

Or, as Badlands Bob said, use a band saw.

You can also use a 4" - 4 1\2" grinder with a cut off blade.

I would not use my wood saw for cutting metal. The carborundum and the metal dust gets into places that will ruin your table saw. 

I would definitely consider a cheap saw for this. 

My friend, a master woodworker, destroyed his “bread and butter” table saw cutting metal for a project. He was not a happy man. 

... I think the sound advice on this thread just saved me some grief ... as usual, more than the OP is benefitted by the voice of experience!

PLUS ONE for EVERYBODY who says/said DON'T  B)

PLUS ONE also to Pettifogger for the Harbor Freight link  :)

Should you choose to use your DeWalt 10" for the metal job, FIRST drop by Lowes and order a new one  :ph34r:

You can cut aluminum economically with a carbide blade (will shorten its life, but still affordable).

Steel? Bandsaw or dedicated steel cutoff saw. Or a grinder. Don't ruin a table saw with the grit/dust.

And shattered blades send pieces everywhere! No matter what tool they are in. Eye protection, good eye protection, is mandatory. It isn't about the grit that happens when cutting/grinding, it is for when the tool goes horrible wrong.

Like for motorcycles, don't dress for the ride, dress for the slide!

I used a 9 inch angle grinder to make cuts in metal longer than what can be done with the 14 inch Cut-off saw ...

You can buy Cutting discs for it ... Even in Uganda East Africa ...

Jabez Cowboy

On 11/27/2020 at 5:56 AM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

This question has nothing to do with guns, libations, or MaryAnne :wub:,but I know there are a number of Saloonatics who spend substantial time in their shops and might be able to offer sound advice.

I have a Dewalt 10” job site circular saw in my shop.  Great tool for woodwork and furniture making.

I’d like to use it to cut steel pieces for a project. Diablo makes a 10” blade for such work, but everything I’ve read says it should run at 3000 rpm or less.  My saw runs at 5000rpm. 

Does anyone have advice for how to slow my table saw without ruining the motor?

Is it a circular saw or a table saw?k

Archived