SASS Wire Forum

Say What?

Subdeacon Joe

I started shooting when eyes and ears weren't a thing, tinnitus and mid range nerve deafness almost kept me leaving the MEPS for Knox. I am crazy insistent that all my kids only shoot with eyes and ears in place. I turned 18 in basic so I've had it a while.

My mom and I got to talking years ago. My tinnitus is behind me high and to the left. About a foot from my head. She told me hers is low and right near the floor.

If you had to point to it where does your live?

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

I started shooting when eyes and ears weren't a thing, tinnitus and mid range nerve deafness almost kept me leaving the MEPS for Knox.

So you know Agony, Misery and Heartbreak too?

My mom and I got to talking years ago. My tinnitus is behind me high and to the left. About a foot from my head. She told me hers is low and right near the floor.

As I sit here and listen, mine is solidly in my ears. I've heard others say similar to you, though.

Yep I was at Knox in July and August the long rucks were at night. Have a guy in my office about 20 years older. Both went to knox, when i said agony heartbreak and misery he lit up. I was a skinny kid and actually gained weight in basic.

4 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Left side just behind my left ear against my skull - high pitched piezo sounding noise. 
Right side just inside my skull at the top of my ear - slightly fluctuating hiss with a tinge of “eeeeeee”.

Here’s the kicker. Some foods, dairy mostly, and carbs, amplify my tinnitus. That’s kind of weird. 

Went to an ENT complaining of the condition.

He looked me over carefully and well and explained that my arterioles in my inner ear were smaller than standard and blood singing through them sounded like screaming crickets in a hot August field.

He said a vasodilator could help and he looked kind of sideways when he suggested diazepam -- I think he was looking for drug seeking behavior -- I told him I'd live with it, I've no wish to sleep with Prince Valium.

4 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Yep I was at Knox in July and August the long rucks were at night. Have a guy in my office about 20 years older. Both went to knox, when i said agony heartbreak and misery he lit up. I was a skinny kid and actually gained weight in basic.

Yep. I had an uncle that went to Knox almost thirty years before I did. When I got back, he asked me if I knew agony, misery and heartbreak. I just groaned. Then we had to explain it to the rest of my family.

As an interesting aside, I ended up going to Knox for training years later. I found myself wondering if the hills were as bad as I remembered, thinking our memory often makes things worse than they are. Nope, they were worse than I remembered!

I have it.  I used to sit in front of the drum section in band.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:14 AM, DocWard said:

So you know Agony, Misery and Heartbreak too?

As I sit here and listen, mine is solidly in my ears. I've heard others say similar to you, though.

+1   Just to the right of center, same as I shoot!

My GP said cut Sodium from your diet to help reduce volume. I don’t add salt to anything I eat, either cooking or after prep. Of course there is plenty of salt in most prepared foods.

It does help. I can always tell when I’ve eaten something salty by the volume of the noise between my ears. 
It amazes me that less than 5 minutes after I eat something salty the volume is up. Drink lots of water to try and flush it out and it takes hours to attenuate the volume.

CJ

I think my music sheet for tinnitus would be a bit more covered than the original post. I seem to have 3 or 4 different tones plus clicks and pops on some occasions.

Location seems to be all around.

I tell people that there is nowhere I can go where it is quiet.

I am pretty sure I acquired mine in the proximity of (2) two 70,000 HP steam turbines and two 8 Megawatt turbine generators. I always wore sound attenuators or earplugs when the engineroom was operating. 6 or 8 hours in that environment and you could feel it in your bones.

I was in band also, had the bones and drums behind me. A broken 150 PSI air line at work finished the job. My hearing was muffled for weeks  after that. Once the volume cleared up, the ringing commenced. Aids are supposed to knock it down some, don't believe it. As I sit here merrily ringing along:rolleyes::blink::blush::(

Archived