SASS Wire Forum

Anyone experienced with 2001 F250 ABS control module??

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Any Ford mechanics handy? I was driving along to go bowhunting, and the ABS light flashes on. The engine shudders and the volt meter rapidly declines to 0. Luckily I broke down at friends driveway. A rat decided to nest under my hood. About a quart of persimmon seed were all over the engine along with the nest. We jumped it off and I made it a bout 300 yards, repeat of aforementioned. A truck and a chain and a 2 mile drive home. The rat had chewed up several wires. I have fixed those, but the ABS motor runs continuously, draining the battery rather rapidly as it draws a fair amount of amps. This is with the ignition switch off, and the key out of the ignition switch. For now I will just disable it by pulling the fuse, and drive merrily along, but enough is taken apart underneath my truck's hood I may as well fix it, and I am particularly fond of antilock brakes.

I have fixed all known chewed wires. All of the ABS wheel sensor wires look visibly good upon inspection, but I do not know the ohm value for the abs sensors.

Both leads to the front drivers side ABS sensor were chewed through and grounded out, but those wires are repaired. Could that take out the ABS control module? The thing is fused at 60 amp.  So I figure that kind of fault may very well of done damage to the ABS control module circuit board, and may not of been detected by  the 60 amp fuse, or simply did not generate enough amps to blow a 60 amp fuse, but enough to damage a control board.

Looking at the owners manual, and fuses and relays underneath the hood and under the dash, there is no relay to initiate the ABS motor. The ABS control module feeds straight from a 60 amp fuse in the main engine compartment fuse box, and I have concluded the ABS control module initiates the ABS motor. Now, I can buy a remanufactured control module or I can send it off for repair for about the same price, but still I don't want to go either route just find out something external else is initiating the pump to run, or fry the newly acquired part due to an undetected ground fault.

If I could find a wiring diagram and had a better idea of the order of operation for the  ABS control module and motor assembly,  along with the ABS wheel sensor ohm values, I know I could troubleshoot it, and draw a definitive conclusion rather than just flick boogers at the wall to see what sticks.

Any help, tips, or diagrams would be awesome.  I previewed the Hanes repair manual online. There appears to be no wiring schematic specific to the ABS brake module ( just more or less chassis wiring for lighting and what not), or information specific to troubleshooting the ABS control module. Also, the brake section of this manual only gives a general information about the ABS system, while diving deeper into the hardware of the braking system. This manual seems to treat the ABS module like the computer that runs the vehicle, deferring such topics to those techs with specific skills and the specialized test equipment necessary , typically only found at dealerships or private garages engaging in such repairs. Please PM me if you have any guidance in seeking out any faults within the wiring system, and aid me in my endeavor, it would be most appreciated.

DDD,

Try posting on Ford-Trucks.com regarding your issue.  You will probably have to join to post a topic, but it'll be worth it if it helps with repair issues on your truck.

Red Wolf

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

DDD,

Try posting on Ford-Trucks.com regarding your issue.  You will probably have to join to post a topic, but it'll be worth it if it helps with repair issues on your truck.

Red Wolf

I thought of everything but that!!! Thanks!

Well no luck there with that. I tried to register and got flagged and brought up " click here to be removed from our flagged list an finish your registration" ( that's all paraphrased" the site redirected me to a third part spam prevention service.

I've found that with mice and rat nests that the main issue isn't the wires being chewed up. It was all the urine corroding connections under and around the nest. 

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Curious as to what the replacement costs are for that component :huh:

OLG 

100 -175 for the module ( repair or reman from parts store)

7 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've found that with mice and rat nests that the main issue isn't the wires being chewed up. It was all the urine corroding connections under and around the nest. 

I caught it pretty quick. The truck sets maybe 2-3 days.

Try searchig for a downloadable factory service manual. I lucked out and have one for a Dodge.

I have the same problem with the ABS pump not shutting off. I just pulled the fuse and live without anti-skids until I can send my module in for re-soldering. 

The little bit of research I've done points to ABS stuff is about the same across all domestic vehicles. 

Check with salvage yards for the module, just be sure the part numbers are an exact match. Good luck!

Just Greg

When the ABS module went out on my '99 I just ignored it, since the brakes still worked.  Figgered that up 'til then I'd been driving without ABS for forty years, in all sorts of adverse conditions.  Back in the day they used to teach us how to use brakes.  Having the ABS module go out bothered me about as much as if the hood ornament had fallen off.  :rolleyes:

I know... I'm just a Luddite by nature.  ^_^

Come to think of it, though, I do wish they'd bring back hood ornaments.  

I fixed all the chewed wires but one mystery wire I am highly convinced is a spare. The battery indeed was shorted out and the alternator cooled.  Everything works now but abs fuse is pulled for now, for who knows how long. I may let it go but do notice on my 3/4 and 1 ton work vehicles the abs have always tended to be more noticeable to kick in than half ton and passenger cars. Maybe the stiff suspension or fact they all roll scaled at 8-10,000 pounds have something to do with it. My van particularly. Abs kicks in routinely. It generally scales 8-9000. I drive in the nutty Atlanta metro area where folks drive with a death wish. This is more of a personal truck but when I do use it for work it’s usually pulling a trailer and a lot of stuff

Archived