SASS Wire Forum

If only

Utah Bob #35998

Remembering the Thanklessgivings I spent far from home in the service. This would have made it more pleasant.

Napolean was right. An army travels on it's stomach. And not just food! :lol:

JimBeam1.jpg

JimBeam2.jpg

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

that is awesome as stated above , would love to find one of those to add to my shelf 

e-bay. Search for "jim beam canteen decanter". Lots of them.

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Drink and the devil have done for the rest

Recently reread Treasure Island.  First time around, didn't recognize all the preaching about demon rum.

".. preaching about demon rum..." 

i recall that but always thought as i do that its never the object to blame but always the fool handling it , i still live that and if ever rum should curse me it shall be myself to blame 

On 11/27/2020 at 10:08 PM, MizPete said:

Recently reread Treasure Island.  First time around, didn't recognize all the preaching about demon rum.

Pirates were always drunk 

6 minutes ago, watab kid said:

".. preaching about demon rum..." 

i recall that but always thought as i do that its never the object to blame but always the fool handling it , i still live that and if ever rum should curse me it shall be myself to blame 

I’m having some demon rum I’m with my pizza. Hot and buttered

D53CF7EC-A0C6-4447-89A0-2022E97CC759.jpeg

On 11/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, MizPete said:

''You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese—toasted, mostly...''  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’m having some demon rum I’m with my pizza. Hot and buttered

D53CF7EC-A0C6-4447-89A0-2022E97CC759.jpeg

that looks might good to these old eyes , and yes a bit of cheese would go nicely me thinks 

2 minutes ago, watab kid said:

that looks might good to these old eyes , and yes a bit of cheese would go nicely me thinks 

Plenty of cheese on the Pizza! :lol:

I always try to keep numerous varieties of cheese in my larder!!

On 11/26/2020 at 7:24 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Remembering the Thanklessgivings I spent far from home in the service. This would have made it more pleasant.

JimBeam1.jpg

JimBeam2.jpg

100 months? I have a bottle of Beam that my parents got before 1980. It is still unopened. It is one of the Model-T Ford bottles.

These days, you can't even have a drink while on a deployment. With that in mind, I'll share a story that was told to me by my late Great Uncle, Peter Anderson, back when I was a young second lieutenant.

My Uncle was assigned to an Army communications unit that was first in on the major military operations in the European Theater during World War II. He was in North Africa, Sicily and then D-Day. He survived those major operations and was a 23 year old Master Sergeant at the end of the war. He told me the story over lunch that day of his time going in to Sicily. They had several days of fighting and then things quieted down. Back then, they would play poker when they received their pay and they pretty much would go all in as they didn't know if they would be alive the next day. My Uncle was the big winner that night and they went into the small local town not far from their encampment in search of a good meal. They found a restaurant that was serving and had some wine with their meal that they really enjoyed. My Uncle asked if they had more of that wine and the waiter took him down into the wine cellar. He had won about $200 in poker the night before and they offered to sell him the wine at $1 a bottle. He bought all they had and he and his fellow soldiers took it back to their encampment on the edge of another town, which had a small fountain the the town square. They stacked the dusty bottles up in the fountain to keep them cool  and then went to the next town over where there was a medical battalion and invited all of the nurses back over to their town. He said the party lasted about two days.  :)  

On 11/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

JimBeam1.jpg

JimBeam2.jpg

Might not been official but been a canteen or two with spirited water in it over the years

10 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

100 months? I have a bottle of Beam that my parents got before 1980. It is still unopened. It is one of the Model-T Ford bottles.

The canteen decanters were sold in 1979!

Archived