SASS Wire Forum

With Turkey and all the trimmings, try some Rubens with all the trimmings

Raylan

In some ways I always found Rubens to be the most blunt and honest of artists. No perfect bodies or skin tones just a huge canvas of fleshy naked people, I can see why so many have detested his paintings. But they have a certain mesmerizing effect like an artistic car wreck meeting a Sunday church social where people forgot to wear clothes. Entertaining show in any case. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Anyone else read “Rubens with all the trimmings” and think of a corn beef sandwich on marble rye with extra Swiss cheese and kraut?  And maybe a splash of French dressing?

I actually thought I was going to find a neat sandwich recipe for my wife. She loves Reuben Sandwiches. :D

11 hours ago, Raylan said:

n some ways I always found Rubens to be the most blunt and honest of artists. No perfect bodies or skin tones just a huge canvas of fleshy naked people, I can see why so many have detested his paintings. But they have a certain mesmerizing effect like an artistic car wreck meeting a Sunday church social where people forgot to wear clothes. Entertaining show in any case. 

Great hook in your subject line!  As with others, I was expecting a recipe for a Ruben Sandwich, and most likely a turkey Ruben.

I've always liked his paintings.   Lots of good looking women.  As pointed out in the movie, some weirdness, but all artists seem to do that from time to time. 

One thing driven home with that movie is the scale of his work.  I never realized he did so many gigantic paintings.  The vision to go from a small sketch to that large canvas, and do it so well is amazing.

It's a little known fact that Rubens had paid for passage of a German and his Irish wife with the Pilgrims in the certain knowlege that the Natives would forbear killing the Pilgrims once they were assured that they could learn the secrets of making corned beef and sauerkraut. This would as Rubens forsaw inevitably lead the Native tribes to sell the island of Manhatten in the assurance that they would soon have top rate Jewish Deli's and an endless supply of delicious meats and sandwiches. 

On 11/26/2020 at 4:12 AM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Anyone else read “Rubens with all the trimmings” and think of a corn beef sandwich on marble rye with extra Swiss cheese and kraut?  And maybe a splash of French dressing?

YES

ED:  Light Rye bread  tho.  Or dark german rye. 

Archived