SASS Wire Forum

WTB GRIP FRAMES RUGER

Bo Kidd

Ace - FWIW, there is a regular plow handle (XRN-3RED) and a short that is 1/4" shorter (XRN-3RED SHORT).  Nice for small hands.

As City Dude pointed out different grip frames come on Single Sixes. They are black hawk grips, similar to the OMV and some are short. I prefer the feel of the New Vaquero grip and it too will fit your Single Sixes. I have converted several sets and bought the New Vaquero grip frames from Brownells. They come in the rough and you will have to fit, grind and polish them. Sure makes a nice pistol.

JFN

I got a question about my previous post so I am reposting my reply here too. The screw pattern is the same as the New Vaquero on every Single Six I've done. The factory, New Vaquero frames sold by Brownells are in the rough. Which means they need to be ground or filed to fit the pistol frame. They are wider than the frame so you will have to file or sand them down. This is a process of putting them on with a couple screws and marking the material to be removed. Taking them off and filing or sanding them down. On and off until you get them close to fitting. Then polishing them down until there is a smooth transition from the grip frame and the frame. I have polishing wheels and super fine polish for getting a mirror finish (again Brownells). Stainless steel is done when you're done polishing. For carbon steel I blue them with Spectracide, a stump remover that is 100% potassium nitrate (YouTube videos are out there). The photo is of the two pair of single sixes with New Vaquero grips and grip frames that I kept. Not for sale.

Time consuming but the result is really great.

JFN

fullsizeoutput_2e0.jpeg

Archived