SASS Wire Forum

Who shoots 44 Magnum (CAS)

Waymore Loco

5 hours ago, Dapper Dynamite Dick said:

If you go to Lymans cast loads for .44 Special, their listed loads go down to 4.4 grains of W231. As a retired Explosive Technician in a Defense Research facility I have over 16 years experience with experimental ammunition and explosives. Before I started experimenting with those loads I had the advice of some of the best PhDs in Ballistics in the country to guide me to my results. I didn't take this lightly but no other load will get me down to 515 fps.

So, you're 'rite' and all other published load data is wrong?  :blink:

I will agree to one point. I have loading manuals going back to the mid 1960's.  Some of their minimum loads have changed over the decades. 

Good luck, 

OLG 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Waymore Loco said:

I did some 44 Magnum testing with the chronograph today. The results are...

5.8 grains of Red Dot = 820 FPS

6 grains of Trail Boss = 785 FPS

5.5 grains of HP-38 = 628 FPS

4.7 grains of Titegroup = 733 FPS

These are averages shot out of a Ruger with a 5 1/2" barrel. 240 grain SWC and Federal 150 primer.

And they were saying your trailboss load was too strong?  They’re not daisys at all.

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

So, you're 'rite' and all other published load data is wrong?  :blink:

I will agree to one point. I have loading manuals going back to the mid 1960's.  Some of their minimum loads have changed over the decades. 

Good luck, 

OLG 

Its not about being right or wrong, at the time I was in a unique position to seek the advice of some conceptionally brilliant PhD's along with their computer modelling data.

6 hours ago, Dapper Dynamite Dick said:

Its not about being right or wrong, at the time I was in a unique position to seek the advice of some conceptionally brilliant PhD's along with their computer modelling data.

Then that can change with the next lot of powder.

OLG 

On 11/26/2020 at 1:42 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hodgdon's data on Trail Boss is weird sometimes.  They list 6 gr as minimum and 7.3 as max for Trailboss with that bullet.  So if the minimum filled the case, what's the max gonna do?  If TB is what you have, I'd try backing off.  Or maybe check you scale calibration ;)  But there's plenty of other 44 mag shooters, some will chime in.

Do you know if your rifle will digest 44 Spcl?

I use a 200 grain bullet over 5.5 grain of Trail Boss, just like my Colt 45s. 

Archived