SASS Wire Forum

Blazer 'brass question...OK, I'M GOOD,THANKS

Throckmorton,23149

long time reloader but...it's always  something...

tried to reload some blazer brass, and really had to push HARD to seat a small primer, in fact I stopped...just in case. They do take std spp's, right ? man the pockets are tight !!!
..it's 45 acp small primer stuff.....pockets measure .005 smaller than a small primer, fyi

..... are some of their yellow brass cases NOT reloadable. ?? thanks !!!!

Try swaging the pockets. I loaded some small primer brass...there were several others besides Blazer. I know some were federal. I ran into the same problem. Haven’t loaded anymore...but going to try running them through a swager first 

would never bother to swage them, no swager and not enough to mess with, Was just wondering if the  ACP brass was supposed to be spp, because they seat spooky hard. oh well., they were free

We call it brass and scrap yards don’t.  “Brass” cartridges are a copper alloy and 30% zinc ... so don’t get bent out of shape when scrap yards don’t pay you brass prices for your .... Brass!

Locally one Wild Bunch shooter uses small primer 45 ACP cases.  I give those I find to him as a way of thanking him for the leadership he's shown the shooting community over the years.  I don't trash any brass since a local metal recycler will buy it.

Took me a while to figure out what std ssp stood for...

But let that go.   I have exactly one federal case that uses a small pistol primer.  It is mixed in with my regular stuff.  I am always amazed that I seem to recover it every time it gets used.   I keep thinking it'll get lost.  It never does.

Blazer makes SOME ammunition that uses real brass cases.  I discovered some recently, although I don’t recall where I was.

I didn’t know it used crimped primer pockets.

12 hours ago, John Boy said:

We call it brass and scrap yards don’t.  “Brass” cartridges are a copper alloy and 30% zinc ... so don’t get bent out of shape when scrap yards don’t pay you brass prices for your .... Brass!

They should, all brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.  Cartridge brass is 70%copper/30%zinc. Brass for fire poles and pipe is 60%/40%. Some brass has small amounts of lead or tin, but it ain’t brass if it ain’t got some zinc in it.

scrap yards don’t.  

If the scrap yard won't pay "clean brass" prices for fired empty cases, ask them why.  Fired cases are certainly cartridge brass made of the 30% zinc, balance copper alloy.   Maybe there's mud on the cases - then offer to wash it next time.   If they still refuse to pay it, ask if they will scan the brass with an x-ray diffraction scanner for an analysis.   If they still try to play stupid, take it to a more reputable scrap dealer.  About 1 in 3 of scrap dealers are honest all the time -  just my findings from knowing a lot more about metals than their crews do.  Another 1/3 of them are honest when they think it really matters.  The rest will drive really hard bargains trying to make as much profit as they can off of unsuspecting sellers.

Fired primers (also cartridge brass alloy) often get knocked down to "dirty brass" prices, which in itself is a petty fraud, but sometimes hard to prove.  So I keep cases and scrap plumbing parts separated from fired primers to minimize the "price hit"

Good luck, GJ

I don’t know about .45 ACP but 9mm Blazer Brass cases do not have swaged primer pockets but they are tight. I suspect the same with .45 ACP. Their ammo is inexpensive bur doubt they would swage the primer pockets to save the consumer money. 

• Throckmorton,23149 changed the title to Blazer 'brass question...OK, I'M GOOD,THANKS

Archived