SASS Wire Forum

WTB youth shotgun for CAS

I just outfitted my 9yo son with a 12ga double hammerless baikal that I bought from a pard here on the wire. The stock was shortened and I loaded some 7/8oz loads with a wee bit of Clays and he shoots it great!  The added weight of the 12ga gun with light loads gives him a good balance of weight to power and still sends enough pellets down range to knock down the poppers. Plus, it’ll grow with him.  My 2c. Good luck getting them interested. It’s my greatest joy of this game shooting with my boy.

JJ 

I started my daughter on a Stoeger youth 410.  I make brass 410 cases out of 9.3x74 brass and load them with 3/8 oz of shot and 10 grains of Little Gun.  There is almost no recoil, the hulls shuck out well and the loads knock over a surprising number of targets.  They are not required to knock over the targets to count in the Buckeroo/Buckerett class.  The only thing I would do different is I would probably buy a used single shot 410 and cut it to fit, it would be cheaper and when they are just starting out probably not much difference in speed.  

Safecracker, if you are wanting a single shot to cut down pm me. I am in Carterville.

Experience putting two through youngsters through the transitions.  It depends on the shooter, both ended up going to 12ga before they had to, the smaller one first....  Started them off with 410 single shot, loads were 1/2 oz. of shot using card wads in cut down 410 Win AA hulls, IIRC correctly it was 4 grains of your favorite shot gun powder (Red Dot, GreenDot, 700-x, Extralite all worked), 1/8" card shot,  .040 card on top with a dot of glue.  Then they moved up to shooting a Mossberg Batum pump in 410 (our local club allowed it) and now one shoots a SXS 12 the other a 97.  12ga load is 10 grains Extralite with Claybuster 3/4oz wad in Win AA hull.

I started my grandson with a single trigger Bikia 410  double  that Johnny Meadows worked over.Worked up and load that would take down any SG  target, almost no recoil.AA hulls.Then went to 444 brass and loaded some black powder and then smokeless before he out grew the 410.The 444 brass works great in the S x S but not in a single shot.Good luck with  starting the kids.

i went to the extreme with my 10 year old Granddaughter. I took one of her parents SKb's and cut it to fit her.  12 ga loaded with 8.5 grains of Unique with 3/4 oz load of shot.

No recoil, light gun and takes targets down when she aims.

Johnny Meadows

Archived