SASS Wire Forum

Something I Never Thought Of... Corned Heart

Subdeacon Joe

Sounds interesting. 

https://foragerchef.com/corned-venison-heart/

"YOU CAN CORN ANY HEART, NOT JUST DEER

Corned heart and I started a number of years ago when the butcher at the restaurant I worked at that specialized in whole animals spoke with our meat purveyor and got a deal on beef hearts (not a hard thing to do). I walked in one day to 60 lbs of beef heart in the fridge and started to frantically think of how we could ever use so much before it turned, and without re-freezing it raw. I don’t think the butcher knew what he was ordering at all, he was a weird guy all around, I mean even for a 300 seat restaurant we were, that’s a lot of heart."

Growing up in the '50s and '60s we often had organ meats. Stuffed baked beef heart my mom often cooked. Cold tongue sandwiches were a frequent standard.

We had steak and kidney pie now and then. Liver and onions, though thankfully my dad liked high-quality calf's liver, not overcooked.

Then they just sort of faded away from the country's menus...but Mexican stores and delis still have lots of that good stuff.

One of the favorite Springfield restaurants uses ground beef hearts for their hamburgers and chili, and they have received 5 star reviews for decades!

35 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Liver and onions, though thankfully my dad liked high-quality calf's liver, not overcooked.

That's the key, don't overcook it.  A little chopped bacon,  just enough to get some of the flavor and generate enough grease to cook the onions.  When the onions are just starting to brown add the seasoned liver. Just a couple of minutes on each side,  depending on thickness and how hot your pan is.

Organ meats usually have lots of flavor, but they also have the highest concentration of cholesterol. 

A regular diet of organ meat can be very unhealthy.

Just sayin'.

Choctaw Jack 

Eons ago when I was a lad just out of fatigues....  I worked in a slaughter house and daily there would be a rack of a hundred or so beef hearts they would be boxed, frozen and sent somewhere. Except on Fridays, on Friday a courier would come from Boston and buy several to take to the med schools for aspiring surgeons to practice valve surgery, you know the one handed knot tying technique.

I will eat heart. Heart is a muscle. I will eat tongue, but I will not eat liver. Liver is a blood filter. Why would anyone eat a filter?  It's like a meaty sponge....:blink:

Can I get a "Yuck-man?"

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I will eat heart. Heart is a muscle. I will eat tongue, but I will not eat liver. Liver is a blood filter. Why would anyone eat a filter?  It's like a meaty sponge....:blink:

Can I get a "Yuck-man?"

You get a BIG "Yuck-Man" from me. Liver just looks like a large blood clot to me. YUCK!:P

Mom and dad grew up on rural farms in the 20's/30's. They said if were fortunate enough to butcher a cow/hog you pretty much cooked and ate everything. Mom would cook a beef hart once a year for her and dad. My brother and I were a hard pass.  They also talked about 'blood' sausage. Some sort of sausage made with animal blood. Hard pass. Liver was tried but it also became a hard pass.  Chicken gizzards, fried, yup.

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Sounds interesting. 

https://foragerchef.com/corned-venison-heart/

"YOU CAN CORN ANY HEART, NOT JUST DEER

Corned heart and I started a number of years ago when the butcher at the restaurant I worked at that specialized in whole animals spoke with our meat purveyor and got a deal on beef hearts (not a hard thing to do). I walked in one day to 60 lbs of beef heart in the fridge and started to frantically think of how we could ever use so much before it turned, and without re-freezing it raw. I don’t think the butcher knew what he was ordering at all, he was a weird guy all around, I mean even for a 300 seat restaurant we were, that’s a lot of heart."

Maybe he was thinking of a new advertising slogan, like "THE RESTAURANT WITH A LOT OF HEART"?

Mom would pickle a deer heart for me once in a while. Was great on sandwiches. Dad corned a venison hind quarter once. It was most excellent! He said it was the most expensive meat he ever ate. 

21 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

We had a finish carpenter here that did venison hearts. He would take all of them that my associate would give him, tongues,too.:rolleyes::blink::blush:

Good eatin...

Archived