SASS Wire Forum

Cheaper turkey after Thanksgiving?

So somebody remembers that after the holiday the stores will have discounts on turkeys and they can put a few in the freezer. Well here’s news for you, the stores know that. There are inferior Frozen turkeys brought in for after thanksgiving sales. They’ve been injected with brine to enhance flavor and weight, some how the bag of innards appears larger than normal.

Not to be argumentative, Marshal,but I've been in the retail meat business for over 5 decades and I have never found this in the grocery chains that I have worked in ( 2 of the nations largest),

Most holiday orders are placed months in advance and are usually shipped in 2 or three "waves", and supplemental orders can be quite hard to fill because of high demand.

Less than premium quality turkeys are usually utilized for Turkey parts and other institutional products such as lunch meats and prepared dinners.

Could be wrong, but this has been my experience.

5 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You could be right but IMO the birds left over after the holiday are at a reduced price for a reason, any purchase should be scrutinized.

So how, precisely, does one scrutinize a frozen turkey? 

LL

3 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Hmmm, seems like I’m being cross-examined.....  ))))

I suppose the answer would be intuition.  If there’s a ton of the same type turkey I’d pass it by.

6 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

With a cold dark stare.... :D

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

So somebody remembers that after the holiday the stores will have discounts on turkeys and they can put a few in the freezer. Well here’s news for you, the stores know that. There are inferior Frozen turkeys brought in for after thanksgiving sales. They’ve been injected with brine to enhance flavor and weight, some how the bag of innards appears larger than normal.

Proof?

20 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I bought one, later I read “injected with brine to enhance flavor” in fine print.

They’re probably all like that!!:o:lol:

Marshal, 

When I worked at Tyson a lot of the whole chickens were injected with stuff. (water, flavor,???)

One of the hourly checks was to make sure none of the injection needles were broken off and  missing and had been left inside a bird.

Every bird was inspected by USDA inspectors and if something was wrong, it was tossed or cut up for parts.

My understand is the turkey plants are the same, i have toured a couple of them but not worked in one.

I have been in chicken , turkey, beef and pork slaughter plants at one time or another, but only worked in a chicken plant.

I could work in a chicken or turkey plant, maybe a pork plant (had an offer once, it down as I had  2 other job offers at the same time to pick from) not interested in working in a beef plant (yuck, been there, not doing that)

Maddog McCoy

A couple of weeks ago I ordered 14, 18-22lb turkeys and 7 boneless hams from a warehouse type food store. These are for the workers out at the avocado and citrus ranch that my wife manages. I do this every year from the same store and have never had a problem until this year. Monday morning I showed up to pick up the turkeys and hams and the runaround started. The turkeys they tried to give me were not the ones that I ordered, different cheaper brand and they were only in the 10-15lb  range, much smaller. The hams were not boneless. I finally got the manager to intervene and he found all of my order and gave me an extra 15% discount for the hassle I went through. Pretty sure the turkeys they wanted to give me were the after thanksgiving models.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I have one now that is not.

That one is probably less expensive!:P

Archived