SASS Wire Forum

Question regarding m-1895 Nagant revolver

Hello to All,

Some few years ago, around the time that TONS of those Model 1895 Nagant revolvers were coming into the USA, it was suggested that .32 short or long ammunition could be safely fired in those revolvers. Now that a few years have passed, I am wondering if anyone tried this, and if so, are you still doing it? Inquiring minds want to know. As always, your thoughts are welcome.

Back when 7.62X38R was scarce some people used .32 S&W or .32 H&R in their pistols.  However because they are undersized it ruins the brass. Also some 32 H&R magnums are too hot and can damage the pistol.

You can make brass from 32-20 but it is too short to provide the gas seal.

Today 7.63X38R is easy to obtain.

4 hours ago, SGT. QUINCANNON, SASS #32999 said:

it was suggested that .32 short or long ammunition could be safely fired ...

Some of the revolvers were sold with spare, non-original cylinders chambered in 32 ACP, and IIRC, .32 Colt.  

I think .32 Colt in a 7.62×38mm (or 32 WCF) chamber would cause case problems if the case head was not otherwise supported.

Be patient and find one of the replacement cylinders that were made for .32 H&R Magnums.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:23 PM, SGT. QUINCANNON, SASS #32999 said:

Hello to All,

Some few years ago, around the time that TONS of those Model 1895 Nagant revolvers were coming into the USA, it was suggested that .32 short or long ammunition could be safely fired in those revolvers. Now that a few years have passed, I am wondering if anyone tried this, and if so, are you still doing it? Inquiring minds want to know. As always, your thoughts are welcome.

Just for grins I shot a match with a pair of Nagants.  I used .32 S&W Long.  They did fine.  I used the brass to reload using Lee dies.  No problem.  Still have the Nagants.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Does it annoy anyone else when folks go on a forum, ask a question and then not return or comment?

Seems to be a trend these days. 

No. Nobody asked him a question so maybe he's just reading all the responses. Or maybe he just posted and he's busy. Or forgot abouit....like me. :unsure:

Or he could be dead. Who knows.

would love to have a bit of proper ammo for mine - just because , but web sites can get so difficult to work through , I AM NOT A ROBOT - how many times do i have to repeat it to send them some money in exchange for a few bullets ? 

Archived