SASS Wire Forum

What importer's 1873 Rifle

Pee Wee #15785

Looking for a new stock Uberti 73 in .44 WCF or .44 sp, which importer has the best finish, smoothest gun and best customer service.  I have not looked at any rifles yet.  I use a 73 I bought in 2002 that was imported by Navy Arms with the red stock that I keep thinking I will refinish.  I like my Marlin Cowboy and Rossi short rifle better in the finish department, but the 73 is smoother.  Never had to use Customer Service with any of them.

Taylor's but don't get their "slicked up one" you'll have problems! Get a short stroke kit and have a gunsmith install it or if you can do it yourself that's cool too! Get it STOCK!!

ALL of the Big Name importers import Uberti built rifles.  For my buck, best customer service has been Taylors.  ALL the Uberti '73 are the same mechanically, differences are in the roll stamps.  Your other choice, however, is a Miroku built Winchester . . . . if you dan find one.  The Miroku guns have been some scarce of late.

PLUS ONE too Rye Miles

If you want to run an out of the box gun any of the importers will be OK. If you want a slicked up one then go to one of the gunsmiths thats sells them with all the work done. Like Pioneer Gun Works. Thats what I did. Less hassle than buying from an importer, sending it to your FFL, then sending it to a smith's FFL and then having them send it back to you FFL.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

If you want to run an out of the box gun any of the importers will be OK. If you want a slicked up one then go to one of the gunsmiths thats sells them with all the work done. Like Pioneer Gun Works. Thats what I did. Less hassle than buying from an importer, sending it to your FFL, then sending it to a smith's FFL and then having them send it back to you FFL.

^ This is good advice.  The fewer steps it takes to get from bone stock at Uberti to slicked up and in your hands the better. Or put a "Want to buy...." post in the SASS Classifieds. 

8 minutes ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

just looking for a bone stock as at 75 I'm not a speed demon.  I do know there is a difference specked by each importer so want the best specked gun

The only difference in specs is the appearance of the gun. Most notably are the roll marks on the barrel. Internally, they’re identical. 

Pee Wee, I worked for an importer for a long time.  Internally, the Uberti rifles are identical.  Some configurations, finishes, or markings may be particular to a specific importer.  And as far as wood, they are all the luck of the draw.

As far as not being a speed demon, a smooth rifle is just easier and more fun to use.  The over-sprung Ubertis can very easily be adjusted by the owner to be easier to use.  And reducing the spring tensions will also reduce wear on various parts.

Been using Black from the 5th grade when the neighbor brought out his grandpa's 1860 Army that was used in the State's Rights shooting scrap.  That was sometime around 1955-56.

Reason for stock is there is a NCOW's club about 10 miles from my house and am thinking about shooting there.  

3 hours ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Reason for stock is there is a NCOW's club about 10 miles from my house and am thinking about shooting there.  

Can't argue with that. My Miroku is not legal in that sport because the stroke from the factory is too short.

A stock Uberti makes total sense in this case.

Any of the importers spec Color Case Hardening and a 20" hex barrel in .44-40?  I have a old Rossi with the hex barrel (.44 WCF) that really shoots ill for me.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:43 PM, Pee Wee #15785 said:

just looking for a bone stock as at 75 I'm not a speed demon.  I do know there is a difference specked by each importer so want the best specked gun

75, 80 or any age, a well tuned gun is easier and more fun to shoot. Buy from one of the major Cowboy Smiths that use aftermarket parts. I would NOT get a cut and weld gun. I don't care how slick folks claim them to be. Get something that is easy to repair without the need for special attention. JMO

Pee Wee, all of the Uberti rifles with octagon barrel or half-octagon barrel (18", 20", 24", 30") from all importers have CC receivers.  The round barrel carbines come both blued and CC.

Archived