SASS Wire Forum

SASS rules, letter of the law vs spirit of the game.

Cibola Al

I recently had the opportunity to handle a Taylor’s & Co New Model 3 Frontier (a Uberti top break revolver with a significantly different grip profile than the Schofield). I really liked the way it looked and felt in my hand, but it has an adjustable rear sight which makes it a no go in my chosen shooting categories.

It occurred to me that a couple of minutes with a soldering iron or some JB weld and the rear sight would be very much “fixed”. 

Further reflection on this dastardly notion made me think that although I might then meet the technical requirement of fixed sights, I was probably missing the boat from a “spirit of the game” point of view. I suspect the reason for the fixed sight rule in some categories is not because shooters are going to dial in their poi while in the thick of a match, but rather the founders wanted folks shooting guns that were as close in appearance to the originals as possible.

I imagine if I showed up to a monthly match with the gun, probably nobody would say much, but the whole SOTG notion is pretty important to our sport (imho) so I’ll just leave that whole mess alone.

It’s kind of windy and cold today, my chores are done, so I sit by the wood stove and ponder stuff like this. 

Adjustable to fixed sight conversion is done by welding or in very few cases - part interchange.

Simply "modifying" an adjustable sight so that it is still the same sight; but just doesn't move is not compliant with the fixed sight requirement.

8 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Adjustable to fixed sight conversion is done by welding or in very few cases - part interchange.

Simply "modifying" an adjustable sight so that it is still the same sight; but just doesn't move is not compliant with the fixed sight requirement.

Thanks, I suspected that someone would have already given this some thought and deliberation. 

Good question, but it leaves me wondering why (if it’s not how the original gun was) would they have an adjustable sight.  Which leads me to think if it was on the original should that make the gun legal for SASS?  I’m pretty sure pards more knowledgeable than me will weigh in and offer reasons and history (besides the Ruger factor) for the rule. 

2 hours ago, Cibola Al said:

I recently had the opportunity to handle a Taylor’s & Co New Model 3 Frontier (a Uberti top break revolver with a significantly different grip profile than the Schofield). I really liked the way it looked and felt in my hand, but it has an adjustable rear sight which makes it a no go in my chosen shooting categories.

That is basically the same revolver as the Beretta "Laramie".
This same allowed modification would apply:

Barrel mounted rear sights are allowed on open-top revolvers. The Beretta “Laramie” rear latch with the adjustable rear sight may be replaced with the rear latch (with fixed sight) from the “Russian” Model to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver.

SHB p.37

Check with VTI for the replacement part to convert from "adjustable" to "fixed".

I have wondered if a non-adjustable replacement might not be allowed to be mounted/screwed in place of Ruger Blackhawk sights, with a lower front sight, eliminating the permanence and difficulty of returning it to stock later. I know lots of folks shot Blackhawks early in the game until Vaqueros and Colt clones became more available. I still have three.

Imis

The only approved method for converting an adjustable-sighted Ruger (Old Army or Blackhawk) to fixed is very specifically spelled out in the

SHB on page 38

Revolvers with adjustable sights are allowed in Open, Age-Based, and B-Western  categories.

Proposals to completely eliminate the revolver sight restrictions have been met with little to no interest.

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Proposals to completely eliminate the revolver sight restrictions have been met with little to no interest.

Right - we have bigger fish to fry - like Rank Points vs .......

(Oh crap ! Did I use my out loud voice again ? )

2 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Right - we have bigger fish to fry - like Rank Points vs .......

(Oh crap ! Did I use my out loud voice again ? )

dead horse.jpg

Archived