SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2021 is Cancelled

Blackjack Zak

Dearest Winter Range Shooters,

As a long-time Winter Range competitor myself, it is with an extremely heavy heart that I must write this email. After giving lengthy and serious consideration to the current national situation surrounding COVID 19, the Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders has made the difficult decision to cancel Winter Range 2021, our 30th and last presentation of the National Championship of Cowboy Action and Wild Bunch Shooting.

Over the last few weeks, Arizona’s and many other State’s COVID numbers have risen to the extent that we no longer feel we can ensure the safety of our shooters, sponsors, vendors, and volunteers. In response to the increasing numbers, and despite the progress we were making with State authorities, the Arizona Game and Fish Department has instituted numerous new restrictions at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility. Among them are the elimination of vendors and public spectators. Additionally, we would not be allowed to hold any social events such as the banquet dinner, swap meet, or the opening, closing and awards ceremonies.  Shooting on individual stages has also been limited to groups of ten (10).

As you know, many of our shooter’s home States are considering further travel restrictions, with many of them already imposing mandatory "quarantine upon return" restrictions. Our restaurants here in Arizona are again in threat of closing, further limiting capacity, and providing only take-out service.

Although the possibility of a “shooting only” Winter Range was discussed at length, it just didn’t seem a fitting end to this world-class event.  Winter Range is NOT merely a shooting match, but a "circus event"!  People come from all over North America, and from the corners of the world to meet up with friends, wear their Victorian fineries, attend the swap meet, dinners and other social events.  They want to lift a glass and perhaps smoke a cigar with their friends whom they haven't seen for months or years.  We are NOT just a shooting match...we are so, so much more.

Those who have already paid your registration fees, will have the option to have these fees refunded or held over to pay your registration for End of Trail, the World Championship in 2022. You can email Sunshine Kay at Register@WinterRange.com to confirm your choice.

Speaking of End of Trail, we are already working on making our first EOT here in Arizona the most spectacular shooting event you have ever attended. The Rough Riders are extremely honored and humbled to be chosen to produce this World Championship Match, and sincerely hope you will attend to be part of it!

Although we are all genuinely disheartened to make this decision, our over-riding concern was for everyone's health and safety.  This had to take precedence.

Please stay safe, take care of yourselves, and we’ll hopefully see you in 2022.

Sincerely,

Blackjack Zak
President and Match Director 
Winter Range
SASS National Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting

Sorry to hear this, but the wise choice under the circumstances. It is a crap show here right now. Been to way too many Zoom funerals

BJZ..

Winter Range was always a super match and will forever be a "favorite" in my mind. You and your team deserve a super round of applause and pat on the back for creating and hosting a stellar event. Winter Range - as it was - will be very sorely missed, but the effort you guys put into it will never be forgotten.

Very hard decision to make, but very understandable...

Kudos to your and your team - and very best wishes to you...

RR

PS: As to Mad Dog Jacks' comment about the Western Regional being cancelled, I'm sure he was referring to the 2020 SASS Western Regional that we had to cancel in August. The 2021 Western Regional / Chorro Valley ShootOut is still on schedule for August 2021.

That's very bad news. Was hoping we would have a little time to catch up Zak at WR 30th. We'll cya you guys soon. To all the WR board members and volunteers, stay safe and healthy. I wish to extend my gratitude and thanks for the service and fun you've provided all of us over the years.

Thank you!!

Long hunter

so much has been lost this year - but there is always next , now we are losing next year too ? and this is the first time i might actually be able to do it , im finally retired , 

the way this chit is going i might as well find a menial job to occupy my time , at least id have something to do .........

This is so sad. We always had such a wonderful time at WR. To end on your 30th anniversary would have been a great send off. 
However, you are making the right decision. Dingo and I opted not to go to any of the group events at the SER. We did not like it , but felt it was the prudent thing to do. This year has been very strange and challenging to say the least. 
Y’all have done such a spectacular job with WR for 29 years and we thank you for all your hard work and dedication. We look forward to many wonderful EOT’s at Ben Avery, a shooters paradise. 
 Dingo and Sixgun

I plan to go in 2022.  It sure would help everyone if you could put out what the dates will be for 2022 EOT at Ben Avery Range, Phoenix, AZ.

Thanks for posting early so that my wife and I can adjust our 2021 travel plans.  We will only lose an $18 non-refundable campground reservation fee.  Many Americans are losing their lives.  I expect other match cancellations for the first half of 2021. 

I’m proud of the understanding this post has received. As someone who has been VERY careful - wearing a mask, distancing, washing hands, - My husband, Tommy and I STILL got covid and am about a week off of isolation.  

Tommy was much sicker than I and it was quite scary a couple of times wondering if he’d have to be hospitalized. SASS is SUCH a bug part of my life and it’s what brings me TONS of JOY! I HATE not going to shoots and missing everyone HOWEVER, I do NOT want to be sick or have any of my cowboy family sick with Covid-19. 

Thank you WR folks for your hard work and dedication to the sport - so glad I was able

to attend WR 202!  I’ll be back for the World Championships in 2022!

Much love and big hugs!

Scarlett

Thank you. I know that this was a heartbreaking decision 

Well, Crap!!!  I understand the agonizing decision, but am disappointed that the whole Winter Range crew doesn't get to go out in style.  2021 would have been my 21st consecutive Winter Range and to have been there to celebrate the 30th Anniversary would have been special for all of us.  Thank you for all these years of producing a world class event.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for EOT 2022!!

2020 has sucked! I was going to send in my app its been a few years since I shot Winter Range and wanted to be part of the last one, we always come down as spectators and to shop the vendors. So much has been lost Bordertown cancelled WR. Thanks BJZ and all the folks that are part of WR can't wait to be a part of the new EOT!

Rafe

Dang it.  I have been expecting this.  I didn't see how it could happen in just 3 months.  But since we had already decided we could not make a winter 3-4 month camping trip with WR as the center piece it actually offers me a wee bit of relief.  Instead of sitting here in the snow thinking of what I'm missing... oh wait, I'll be doing that anyway.  But missing a cancelled event might feel a tich better than missing an existing event.

But I have been to the last 4 Winter Ranges, it was a great time and I fully look forward to EOT with this great team in 2022!

I genuinely appreciate all the effort it takes by so many to put on this 1st class shoot.  Having involvement in rodeo and witnessing the behind the scenes deliberations to host any sporting event, this comes as no surprise.  God Bless to all of my CAS family and stay strong. 

At WR 2020,I wasn't feeling well at all.Had all the covid symptoms.By the second day I was feeling much better.Had a great time for the rest of the match.

Knowing now that that would be the last winter range at Ben  Avery, I'm really glad I toughed it out and finished the match.

See you there at the next one.

Choctaw Jack 

• 2 weeks later...

A special thanks to all the Winter Range Rough Riders for their hard work and dedication to CAS.  You have always made this National Championship incredible and a blast to shoot at.  My kids have grown up around Winter Range and I have also had the pleasure of shooting it.  Cannot wait for EOT to come to Phoenix!!!!!  Thank you everyone.  PS.  My bet is EOT in Phoenix will be a sell out match. 

Archived