SASS Wire Forum

TN Williams-Widder Wasp pistol

Widder, SASS #59054

TN Williams has created a 'wasp' load for his .38 pistol and in conjunction, I have created a 'Wasp' load

for my .45 Colt Ruger. 

We both had .38 brass and .45 brass manufactured to hold the 209 Primers.

We both had some paraffin bullets, of which we cut into 1/8" thick pieces, just enough to seal the case.

We filled the respective cases about full with 'Walnut tumbling media'.   

With just the power of the 209 primer, you would be surprised at the potent results.....enough power to decimate 

a wasp nest and all the wasp on it.

TN Williams will shortly add a post with pictures of results.

Ya just never know what can happen when 2 greats minds start to thinking..... :D

..........Widder

Yes, pictures are required for this one.

:D

20201123_201258.thumb.jpg.7a5f09826f065a75633235e4a9cca3b1.jpg

This is the front of the paper bag I tried it out on. You can see the hole where the wax cap went through as well as the surrounding area from the crushed walnut hull tumbling media. This was from 7.5 feet away.

20201123_201320.thumb.jpg.e941ae607fca9d8b6c9b6e8ebd3e8d8b.jpg

This is the rear of the bag. Wax went through as well as most of the media.

Shooting a full hornet's nest from 7 feet sounds like a bad idea. But then again, some bad ideas are looked upon as a challenge by some. I know baking soda is good for bee stings, but not right sure about hornet stings. 

1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Shooting a full hornet's nest from 7 feet sounds like a bad idea. But then again, some bad ideas are looked upon as a challenge by some. I know baking soda is good for bee stings, but not right sure about hornet stings. 

Charlie,

if you ever want to learn to shoot faster than you thought you could, that's where 'Wasp Practice' comes in handy... :lol:

I would go after a Wasp nest, but I wouldn't go after a Hornets nest with anything short of a open choked SG.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I know baking soda is good for bee stings,

Actually the best thing I've found for bee stings is a combination of Shop-Vac and bactine.

I had a beehive in my attic and every once in awhile one of them would get me. So I had the little one gallon shop vac always sitting in the living room. It's amazing what you can get away with when you're single. And when a bee would hit me, I would take out my knife and scrape it which would knock out the stinger, and then I would turn on that shop back VAC and stick the hose over the bee sting and let it suck for 30 seconds or so. It's amazing how much bee venom would get sucked out. Then I'd go down to the bathroom and put some bactine on it. Pain would go away pretty damn quick.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

Actually the best thing I've found for bee stings is a combination of Shop-Vac and bactine.

I had a beehive in my attic and every once in awhile one of them would get me. So I had the little one gallon shop vac always sitting in the living room. It's amazing what you can get away with when you're single. And when a bee would hit me, I would take out my knife and scrape it which would knock out the stinger, and then I would turn on that shop back VAC and stick the hose over the bee sting and let it suck for 30 seconds or so. It's amazing how much bee venom would get sucked out. Then I'd go down to the bathroom and put some bactine on it. Pain would go away pretty damn quick.

And you don't have to explain to the wife where those hickies came from. :P

54 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Okay, if nobody else is gonna ask, I will.  Why in the world do you have 38 and 45 brass hollowed out to take shotgun primers?????

Because they can't buy small or large pistol primers.

18 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I'll hold your beer. 

Wearing a full hazmat suit ?

4 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Standing about 1/4 mile away. 

I'm right there with you. I'm thinking the hole from the wax cap is just another exit hatch for the wasps from the hive. Twice the wasps in half the time. And, I'm too old to run.

4 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Cowboy Fast Draw?

You beat me to it.  CFD uses 45 Colt cases that take 209 primers.  The primers are loose so they fall out easily. 

Ever seen those bug aSALT guns? Kill flies with them from 1 to 2 ft away with salt. Well this is the MAN version of that. If you get a wasp in yer house, you can take care of them with this and not worry about blowing holes in yer wall or floor. 22 cal bird/snake shot will embed itself in yer nice new hardwood floor. Ask me how I know. As far as why I had them fixed up that way to begin with is indoor practice. Shooting in your man cave is fun...

10 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I recollect reading that Bill Jordan talked about using primers with wax bullets for practice. I think he just used SPM primers, not 209s.

For practice in my garage, I have sets of .38 fast draw wax brass that use LP primers, but those aren't getting used again until this primer shortage is over.

15 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

MOUNTED shooters also used the .45 Colt/209 primer setup for busting balloons.

..........Widder

You sure, the cases I've seen are shortened 45 Colt with LP primer and a pleated/folded case mouth filled with 1F BP.

IIRC-The cases are made by Starline Brass.

OLG 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, J.D. Daily said:

You beat me to it.  CFD uses 45 Colt cases that take 209 primers.  The primers are loose so they fall out easily. 

where can one get some of those ? i would be interested in both 38 & 45 ...........

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

where can one get some of those ? i would be interested in both 38 & 45 ...........

You can drill the brass out yourself. Can't remember the size right off. Mike the 209 primer and have a heyday with the drill.

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You sure, the cases I've seen are shortened 45 Colt with LP primer and a pleated/folded case mouth filled with 1F BP.

IIRC-The cases are made by Starline Brass.

OLG 

Not real sure.   When I was given that brass, along with a box of 209 primers and wax bullets, I ask about the

special brass and 209 primers and was told that some mounted shooters used them.   That's all I know.

..........Widder

46 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Not real sure.   When I was given that brass, along with a box of 209 primers and wax bullets, I ask about the

special brass and 209 primers and was told that some mounted shooters used them.   That's all I know.

..........Widder

Bet its fast draw rounds. 

OLG 

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've personally used them with good results to shoot wax bullets and also just using the 209 primer to dispatch a few waspers.

..........Widder

"Waspers on fence postees, as big as your fistees" my East Tennessee mother said this all the time.

I dented my garage door using .45 wax bullets over 209 primers. They shot through 8 layers of cardboard, primers tended to back out and jam the pistol. 

Imis

Archived