SASS Wire Forum

For You Railroad Fans

Yul Lose

Yul, 

Thank you I love Railroads. I have live steam engines and an outdoor layout 1 3/4” between the rails. Too small to ride so I chase it around the layout. 

CJ

54 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Yul, 

Thank you I love Railroads. I have live steam engines and an outdoor layout 1 3/4” between the rails. Too small to ride so I chase it around the layout. 

CJ

I’d like to see pictures of your railroad, that’s something that I always wanted to do.

There is a terrible magic to live steam.

A steamer is not a mechanical device, she is a living creature, and she responds to her lover's hand on her throttle.

An old timer who ran steam once told me that you can pick out any song in the world, listening to the engine's chant, and I believe he's right.

8 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

A steamer is not a mechanical device, she is a living creature

And if you aren't careful you'll get burned. :)

20 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’d like to see pictures of your railroad, that’s something that I always wanted to do.

I’m still looking for the pictures I took as I built it. Once I find them I’ll post a few.

CJ

Yul,

It turns out I am a terrible photographer.

I started out in what is known as Large Scale, Scale 1, G Scale or Garden Railroad in NY. That is all the same track with different names. I mostly modeled the Mountain Rialroads of the East. Three foot narrow gauge railroads that were primarily used to log off the Mountains. As a newbie I started in with Electric trains just like Lionel or HO, only bigger. The rail is usually brass so that it can stand the weather. These two pictures are from my NY layout which was fairly small. The engine is a "Shay" designed by a man named Ephraim Shay for the logging railroads in the mountains. This is an electric engine.

SMR Shay #5 - 12.jpg

SMR Snow Op's 1.jpg

This is my front yard garden.

2 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Yul,

It turns out I am a terrible photographer.

I started out in what is known as Large Scale, Scale 1 or G Scale in NY. That is all the same track with different names. I mostly modeled the Mountain Rialroads of the East. Three foot narrow gauge railroads that were primarily used to log off the Mountains. As a newbie I started in with Electric trains just like Lionel or HO, only bigger. The rail is usually brass so that it can stand the weather. These two pictures are from my NY layout which was fairly small. The engine is a "Shay" designed by a man named Ephraim Shay for the logging railroads in the mountains. This is an electric engine.

SMR Shay #5 - 12.jpg

SMR Snow Op's 1.jpg

Very cool.

I forgot include the name of the line was: Shawangunk Mountain Railroad. That is pronounced Shumgunk by the locals. The Shawangunk Mountains are part of the Appalachian chain in NY State. When I moved to NC I renamed it: Shawangunk Mountain & Southern Railroad. This is the yard before the RR construction.1699482295_4-17-07SMSRR_TrainYard_005.thumb.jpg.29b21b20c64d0a017a9a1e4245bbe306.jpg

This is the same shot with the garden box I built. It was filled with soil eventually. I removed the fence on the back and side. I left it in front towards the street.2058926768_3-10-08SMSRR_TrainYard_006.jpg.a8f57c98e30707b25091bbd16e98309d.jpg

This is the layout in running order. It is still an electric RR only. I got into steam after I meet other Large Scale RR's here in NC. This shot is looking back towards the place I took the other pictures. The brown lump with the grey fringe on top is a mountain".

1740614633_6-25-09SMSRRLayout005.thumb.jpg.13056cab16043046a7b0a7102471ccfb.jpg

This is the face of the mountain and you can see the pass the train will take through the cut.

1392535251_6-25-09SMSRRLayout020.thumb.jpg.af22c6b8494b06dcdd96a24ab480dc31.jpg

Several of the buildings on this line are built from scale lumber milled from cedar timber (scraps of 1"x4" donated by a local lumber yard back in NY before I moved). There are also plastic kit built buildings.

This is an Icing facility to supply Ice for boxcars to ship perishables. Built with scale lumber. They harvest ice from the "Ice Caves" in the mountain behind the ice house.

That's the story and I'm sticking to it.

1687440227_6-25-09SMSRRLayout022.thumb.jpg.9e07d7f865f7c094a2e4bcbd4435c154.jpg

Now Comes the confession part. I hadn't realized I only have a couple of videos of live steam engines running on other peoples layouts. Once I started live steam I concentrated on running the engines and forgot about taking pictures. As Pat Riot said Live steam is more than mechanical. It is alive even in scale model size.

So all my engines are out in the garage in storage for the time being. I will try to get them out and take pictures, if only for my records. Once I have the pictures taken I will post some here. The engines really are beautiful renditions of the prototypes.

CJ

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

This is the layout in running order. It is still an electric RR only. I got into steam after I meet other Large Scale RR's here in NC. This shot is looking back towards the place I took the other pictures. The brown lump with the grey fringe on top is a mountain".

1740614633_6-25-09SMSRRLayout005.thumb.jpg.13056cab16043046a7b0a7102471ccfb.jpg

This is the face of the mountain and you can see the pass the train will take through the cut.

1392535251_6-25-09SMSRRLayout020.thumb.jpg.af22c6b8494b06dcdd96a24ab480dc31.jpg

Several of the buildings on this line are built from scale lumber milled from cedar timber (scraps of 1"x4" donated by a local lumber yard back in NY before I moved). There are also plastic kit built buildings.

This is an Icing facility to supply Ice for boxcars to ship perishables. Built with scale lumber. They harvest ice from the "Ice Caves" in the mountain behind the ice house.

That's the story and I'm sticking to it.

1687440227_6-25-09SMSRRLayout022.thumb.jpg.9e07d7f865f7c094a2e4bcbd4435c154.jpg

Now Comes the confession part. I hadn't realized I only have a couple of videos of live steam engines running on other peoples layouts. Once I started live steam I concentrated on running the engines and forgot about taking pictures. As Pat Riot said Live steam is more than mechanical. It is alive even in scale model size.

So all my engines are out in the garage in storage for the time being. I will try to get them out and take pictures, if only for my records. Once I have the pictures taken I will post some here. The engines really are beautiful renditions of the prototypes.

CJ

Outstanding!!! Thank you very much for the pictures. How much time do you get to devote to it now that it’s pretty much built?

Less than I’d like. It is a social hobby. We get together for “Steam Ups”. Kind of hard to do with the current situation. Steam Ups usually are family style get togethers. The wives all and gab, while the men run trains. I’m not a chauvinist, I’ve just never seen a woman live steamer. My wife was very understanding and enjoyed the gab feasts.
Then we have a eating fest before heading home.
Cleaning live steam engines is just as complicated as cleaning Black Powder Guns.  :D
An old live steaming saying: If you haven’t got burned fingers you aren’t trying hard enough.

That being said. I haven’t run trains since fall of 2019. 

CJ

GORGEOUS workmanship!
Never knew model steamers had to be cleaned, let alone to that degree!
Likening it to a BP cleanup only moreso, puts it well indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

If it doesn't have a stinger, I don't want it. As a boy, I worked for an interurban. Then there were quite a few. Now the only one left is the South Shore Line. Although a delicate and painstaking task, my set up was totally wired.

I gave my boys LGBs. My youngest still sets it up for my grandchildren.

ASFAIK, there aren't any stinger model railways around.

Archived