SASS Wire Forum

Zippers

Alpo

And IN the story I am reading the guy has his broken right arm in a cast and is attempting to pull down the zipper of his britches with his left hand.

That got me to thinking that guy's pants have the fly over the zipper going from the left over to the right, so you stick your right hand under the overhang to pull your zipper down.

Since girls shirts and coats button right over left, instead of left over right like a man's does, do girl's pant's zipper's flies cover right over left also, making it easier to unzip with the left hand?

Then zippered jackets. On a man's coat the zipper body is on the right hand side of the opening, and you put the left hand side of the zipper into the zipper body. Is it the same way on a woman's jacket, or is the zipper body on the left hand side of the jacket and you put the right hand side of the zipper into the zipper body?

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Since girls shirts and coats button right over left, instead of left over right like a man's does, do girl's pant's zipper's flies cover right over left also, making it easier to unzip with the left hand?

Yes. Just ask any woman service member who’s ever dressed her gig line. 

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Then zippered jackets. On a man's coat the zipper body is on the right hand side of the opening, and you put the left hand side of the zipper into the zipper body. Is it the same way on a woman's jacket, or is the zipper body on the left hand side of the jacket and you put the right hand side of the zipper into the zipper body?

Yes. Women’s zippers are the opposite of men’s. 

Orvis makes some of their overcoats with reverse zippers to harken back to the days when men were dressed by valets. I tried one on and, with my own two working class hands, couldn’t get it to zip. 

I have a Gore-Tex German surplus police coat that has the zipper opposite of what I'd consider "normal."  Very common for European garments.  The "male right side zipper" is pretty much an American institution.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Go to a department store and look.

There was a Columbo episode, where after killing the naked woman, the murderer dressed her. Colombo realized this because her panties were on backwards.

At the end of the episode one of the other cops asked him how he knew they were on backwards. He said that women's underwear had the tag on the left hip (instead of the middle of the back like men's underwear). He said the dead woman's underwear had the tag on the right hip, so they were on backwards, and no woman would have put her clothes on backwards, so someone else had dressed her.

While he was explaining this to the other cop they were in the lingerie department and the department store, so he is showing the other cop what he's talking about. There's these two guys, with no women with them, fingering women's panties.

The sales girls in the lingerie department were all giving them the evil eye. When the two men realized this they quickly left.

I don't think I need to go down to the women's department and start playing with the flies on their pants. Don't want them there sales clerks thinking I'ma pre-vert.

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There was a Columbo episode, where after killing the naked woman, the murderer dressed her. Colombo realized this because her panties were on backwards.

At the end of the episode one of the other cops asked him how he knew they were on backwards. He said that women's underwear had the tag on the left hip (instead of the middle of the back like men's underwear). He said the dead woman's underwear had the tag on the right hip, so they were on backwards, and no woman would have put her clothes on backwards, so someone else had dressed her.

While he was explaining this to the other cop they were in the lingerie department and the department store, so he is showing the other cop what he's talking about. There's these two guys, with no women with them, fingering women's panties.

The sales girls in the lingerie department were all giving them the evil eye. When the two men realized this they quickly left.

I don't think I need to go down to the women's department and start playing with the flies on their pants. Don't want them there sales clerks thinking I'ma pre-vert.

Oh, come on. Live a little 

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Just wear an old, grey trenchcoat and chew on a cigar.  ;)

image.jpeg.f5e62888083f439cec174312354d935e.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Aww, c'on admit it!  Confession is good for the soul!

My fave motorcycle jacket is from the EU and it’s zipper is left handed.  I shoulda bought American!

Instead of starting a whole new thread: were zippers around in the cowboy era?

12 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

My fave motorcycle jacket is from the EU and it’s zipper is left handed.  I shoulda bought American!

Instead of starting a whole new thread: were zippers around in the cowboy era?

Invented in 1851, patented in 1891, began marketing in 1893.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Just wear an old, grey trenchcoat and chew on a cigar.  ;)

image.jpeg.f5e62888083f439cec174312354d935e.jpeg

Yeah that's a plan. The very best way to make sure people don't think you're a scurvy pre-vert, is to wander around in a rumpled up trench coat.

Nobody would have any suspicions of that.

34 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Trying to find products using zippers before 1900.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2489053A/en

It wasn't until 1948 that someone thought to use it for the fly on trousers. So cowboy "authentic" pant would not have a zipper.

Some mens’ dress boots come to mind when recalling early uses of the zipper.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Trying to find products using zippers before 1900.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2489053A/en

It wasn't until 1948 that someone thought to use it for the fly on trousers. So cowboy "authentic" pant would not have a zipper.

It was also in 1948 when the first guy zipped up his w@#$&r then. 

Just remember, when you catch yourself in your zipper, anything you do, including nothing, is gonna hurt.

im surprised - in this era of multiple or no sex genetics - to be having this discussion [while i do understand it perfectly] my wife and i use each others coats on occasion and sometimes she "takes" one of mine as hers - im not complainin really - but i get that reversed zipper/button thing , wonder why this was not just standardized years ago ? seems a logical thing to me , but then who am i to base logic on ???? 

18 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Alpo, THAT is information you should have learned in High School.  Sheltered monk like existence perhaps??

Some people never have to learn. The girl does all her own unzipping.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:02 PM, Alpo said:

There’s also a seam that goes in the back.

Interestingly enough, I read that in Europe zippers are on the left because royalty didn't dress themselves. They had people do that for them. So, the zipper being on your left would be for the person dressing them to use right handed. Canada is same way supposedly. Since we didn't have people dressing us in America, ours were on the right side so we could do it ourselves. I got a good idea why women's are on the left going by that logic. Its so the guys can undress I mean dress the women.

Archived