SASS Wire Forum

A question on buying reloading supplies in California

Clay Mosby

Tried an infernal-web search and only managed to confuse the bejeebers out of myself.

Can I still mail order reloading supplies, brass and bullets, and have them shipped to my home in California.

And please, if you could refrain from the California bashing I would appreciate it.

But any and all disparaging comments about the gub-nor welcomed. :ph34r::P

Absolutely. Been doing it for a couple of years. I just got brass the other day and bullets enroute. Got powder a while back. Would like to get some primers, but we all know what’s going on there. 

Thanks Pat Riot, appreciate it. The results of my search resulted in both yes and no and everything in between. I want to do some reloading for my virtual 1911 and my virtual FN .380 inherited from my Dad.

Now I need to expose my ignorance for all to see. I only received Dads pistol last year, Mom didn't want to give it up. It was put in the safe and I hadn't really looked at it since. When I recently took everything for it out, I discovered that all the ammo for it except for one imported box of 25, was .380 auto. the one outlier was 9mm.  Looking at the pistol, the bolt is stamped 9m/m.  What the heck?

So here's where I parade my lack of knowledge :)  Is the ammo interchangeable? I seem to remember Dad taking ammo from a box labeled .380 auto the last time I saw him shoot it. I measured the 9mm against a .380, and the only difference was that the .380 was .005" longer.

Help!

Not interchangeable.  380 is 21,500 PSI while 9mm Luger is 35,000.  A 380 can fit and be fired but generally does not cycle the action (sounds funny also - mistakes do happen :-( ).   I would imagine the fit of a 9mm in a 380 would not work and the pressure difference is enough to maybe damage the firearm or cause serious injury. 

STL Suomi

you can get everything mailorder  add a hazmat few for powder and primers

but you ca not got outside to get brass between 10 pm and 5 am so tell them you are going to the pot store 

good luck 

IANAL but just did some searching.

I see nothing in California state law prohibiting purchase of reloading supplies.

Looks like you can not transfer your reloaded ammo to anyone else; clearly not sell it but the law may prohibit gifting too as it is still a transfer.

Some counties may have a powder sale ledger so it may not be legal to have powder delivered to those counties from out of state (San Diego? San Bernardino?).

Some out-of-state sellers will not ship anything firearms-related to California at all. Others just restrict certain magazines, specific firearms, and loaded ammo. Check with the specific vendor.

FedEx shipments of powder and primers require signature on delivery. UPS may require signature. One vendor gave me the option of paying an extra $2 for no signature required on a UPS shipment.

A 9mm Luger (or Parabellum.  depending on the label) will not chamber in a .380 chambered gun. It will protrude out the rear of the chamber. A .380 will chamber in a 9mm Luger pistol and may fire but probably will not be extracted and the casing may slide further into the chamber.

If that gun is based on a Browning design the 9mm designation may be 9mm Browning, which is the .380 ACP.

Aarrgggghhhh!

Thanks guys for the info, though I'm more confused now more than ever. The pistol in question is in fact an FN 1922 Browning. I spent 30 min on the web this morning and couldn't get a definitive answer that my senior brain  could grasp. With my Mosin Nagant I could 1find a website that had everything I needed to identify the model and ammo and where mfgd and etc.

As for the pistol I got model number. The bolt is stamped 9m/m, the serial number is only 4 digits and there are no Nazi or Wehrmacht stampings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.380_ACP

The .380 ACP (9×17mm) (Automatic Colt Pistol) is a rimless, straight-walled pistol cartridge developed by firearms designer John Moses Browning. The cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case.[2] It was introduced in 1908 by Colt, for use in its new Colt Model 1908 pocket hammerless semi-automatic, and has been a popular self-defense cartridge ever since, seeing wide use in numerous handguns (typically smaller weapons). Other names for .380 ACP include .380 Auto, 9×17mm, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9mm Browning Court (which is the C.I.P.designation). It should not be confused with .38 ACP.

Since 9mm parabellum is 9X19, I'm wondering if a couple checks of the chamber and magazines along with a little more use of a micrometer might help determine which is the right cartridge for your firearm.

13 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

But any and all disparaging comments about the gub-nor welcomed. :ph34r::P

:rolleyes:

Norton I, Emperor Of These United States and Protector of Mexico       Newsom I, Emperor Of The Nation State of California and

Benefactor of Mexico

rawImage.jpg                                                                              Emperor Nortonsom2.png

Clay, I think you are just down the road apiece from me...
I'm in Orangevale, but still in Sac County where it is legal (for now) to buy reloading components from the internet.
City of Sacramento bans this entirely.

I would not be surprised if the People's Republik of Davis, Berkeley and the others ban components as well.

21 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Now I need to expose my ignorance for all to see. I only received Dads pistol last year, Mom didn't want to give it up. It was put in the safe and I hadn't really looked at it since. When I recently took everything for it out, I discovered that all the ammo for it except for one imported box of 25, was .380 auto. the one outlier was 9mm.  Looking at the pistol, the bolt is stamped 9m/m.  What the heck?

So here's where I parade my lack of knowledge :)  Is the ammo interchangeable? I seem to remember Dad taking ammo from a box labeled .380 auto the last time I saw him shoot it. I measured the 9mm against a .380, and the only difference was that the .380 was .005" longer.

Help!

NO it is not , the 9mm may well shoot the 380 a couple times but nothing but problems will result and if you are in a gunfight - "you die" as bernie said 

if your trying 9mm in the 380 - i doubt it will load 

while all are around 9mm - the length and diameters differ with all variations - 

9mm largo'

9mm luger

9mm makarov 

380 auto 

these are al different loads . lengths and diameters depending on the given round , they do not interchange in any way 

then there are 38s in all sorts but thankfully they wont feed in your semiauto 

Archived