SASS Wire Forum

Lesson learned too late in life...paint

JD Lud

We’ve moved a lot for the military and work earlier, so I get to do a good deal of painting most of the time.  For whatever reason, when I needed paint I went to a Lowe’s, HD, or Menards even and went to work.

Recently moving again, the entire house is one color inside that of course the wife does not like...so here I go again.  I told her only one color, which got me thinking buying a 5 gallon bucket (or 3).  This led me to wonder why I never bought from Sherwin Williams....probably because I always used just a gallon at a time.  

Anyways, got their Emerald series at the sale price and it was 250 bucks for 5 gallons, which is 10-20 bucks higher than what I think I normally paid per gallon but I wanted to try it.  Oh my word what a difference....why oh why have I not done this before.  Goes on clean, nearly one coat with just touch of  up of areas I didn’t have enough paint left on roller.  No streaks, no runs, looks the same from any angle when done, and I swear I’m painting twice the area with the same amount of paint. Edges in so easy I haven’t put one piece of masking tape down!   Yes it’s expensive up front, but money and time ahead in the end.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone else is getting pressured to paint during the lockdown (formerly holiday) season.  

Since we can’t afford to shoot why not paint lol?

Indeed. Mrs. Doc and I are considering repainting. When we built, we used Benjamin Moore from a local place that has since closed their doors. There is a Sherwin Williams place about five minutes away, so we might go that route.

Yep.  That's been my experience with SW paint as well.  And it's durable and very washable.  I think it's another case of getting what you pay for.

We did the whole interior one color (Bauhaus Buff) with Sherwin Williams paint.  This thread has made me try to figure out when that was.  Close as I can figure, it was 20 years ago.  Still looks fine.  Wow, a good investment at last!

I buy cheap paint from Walmart for kids rooms. There are determined to destroy it despite the spankings.  

I like Sherwin Williams A100 and Superpaint for interior and Duration for exterior. Duration is the same price point as Emerald. I have a commercial account. I get Duration roughly $175 per 5 gallon. A100 for under $100.

Talking about edging and cutting in, it was always a pleasure to watch my friend brush out baseboard on carpet without masking the carpet. I do think he adds Flotrol, but he’s done it 30 years, uses the best stuff, and makes a killing doing high end paint, remodeling and restoration jobs

Thanks for the info. 

We're deciding on what colors to paint accent walls of our all white interior.  My favorite color is a SW color.  I'm also going to paint the guest BR.  I received a coupon for signing up for their paint club.  Guess what I'm doing TG weekend?

4 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Thanks for the info. 

We're deciding on what colors to paint accent walls of our all white interior.  My favorite color is a SW color.  I'm also going to paint the guest BR.  I received a coupon for signing up for their paint club.  Guess what I'm doing TG weekend?

I need to paint my house inside and out, and my shop and chicken coup

My accent wall in the living room i the same as one we had in California.  I couldn't recall the name of the color and called a friend.  He had done the same color on opposing walls in his rec room.  He didn't know the name either but said his wife called it Dr. Pepper red.

Dead on.  I got a half gallon at SW and have enough left to do inside ofwindow wells and door frames.

7 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Thanks for the info. 

I thought hubbie was going fishing........Do you paint????

Texas Lizard

9 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

I thought hubbie was going fishing........Do you paint????

Texas Lizard

Yes I do!!!  (Hubby has to work.)  The guest BR of our St Louis house was MAGENTA.  No kidding.  Before we moved in, I painted it the same grey as the rest of the house.  It took two coats of primer and two coats of paint to cover all that MAGENTA. 

1 minute ago, Calamity Kris said:

Yes I do!!!  (Hubby has to work.)  The guest BR of our St Louis house was MAGENTA.  No kidding.  Before we moved in, I painted it the same grey as the rest of the house.  It took two coats of primer and two coats of paint to cover all that MAGENTA. 

Are you sure it was MAGENTA  and not t$t$e pink???

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

What really sucks with a capital S is painting doors and trim painted in gloss black. That was sort of a thing, along with black lacquer furniture, in the 90’s

i hate paint - that said , im glad your life has become better , ive been in the business of building long enough to understand the merits of good quality products and paint has always been the one thing that stood out as the bigger PITA item , 

hire a great painter and pay the price , 

Painter prices up here where I live would be between 12-16k from quotes on the entire interior.  I can paint at a snails pace if need be and spend 500-750 bucks on paint vs paying for the full job.

I hate to paint but to me this is one of those that I should do if I can :)

I don't have to get on a ladder to do the guest BR.  A short step stool will do.  The great room is another story.  18 feet off the floor is a bit high for me to go and feel steady.  We're actually talking about hiring a handyman because we have some other off the ground projects that need to be done as well, like hanging a ceiling fan in the great room.

1 hour ago, JD Lud said:

Painter prices up here where I live would be between 12-16k from quotes on the entire interior.  I can paint at a snails pace if need be and spend 500-750 bucks on paint vs paying for the full job.

I hate to paint but to me this is one of those that I should do if I can :)

Yep painters around hear are making about $200.00 an hour plus materials. :(  Painting the exterior of a house runs $15K to $20K and takes 3 people about 3 days

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep painters around hear are making about $200.00 an hour plus materials. :(  Painting the exterior of a house runs $15K to $20K and takes 3 people about 3 days

You can make a good living in the paint business 

Archived