SASS Wire Forum

Gunbroker scammer...

Three Foot Johnson

I am interested in purchasing would you take any other payment I would need it on my credit or some way to put the balance on my credit like PayPal or a cashiers check through my bank i cant purchase usps money order with my credit card

Your bank will give you cash, and the post office will accept that.

Thanks for your interest,

Rob

My bank is not who I have the card through and the credit card charges extremely high rate for cash advances 

Don't get a cash advance on your card, go to your bank and withdraw cash, then go to the post office and get a postal money order.

Thanks for your interest,

Rob

My bank is not local it is hundreds miles away

:lol:

Got an email Saturday wanting to pay us for a GB listing with bitcoin, paypal and/or some other form of electronic fund transfer.   

I declined.  Cashier's check or money order, or pay the 3% on your debit or credit card.  

58 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wait, Your bank is hundreds of miles away???:o 

A lot of people have switched to internet banking like Chase bank.  They don’t have a local branch.  You deposit checks by direct deposit or taking a picture of it on your phone.  Pay all your bills online.  Live on plastic.  You can get an atm card for cash.  The ATM owner usually charges $3 per withdrawal whether it is $20 or $200.  That being said, I wouldn’t trust that buyer either.

I understand Wells Fargo is planning to close the branch in my closest town (65 miles away) the end of the year. If that is true the closest WF where my checking account is will be 216 miles away. May have to find another bank.

Earlier this year when everyone was getting their stimulus money I listed a number of items on gunbroker.  I had a new user reach out to me that was very odd.  Asked all sorts of question, didn't seem to understand how an auction worked, wanted to pay with a card, etc.  Apparently his stimulus money had been direct deposited on some form of prepaid credit card.  I would have sworn it was a scam, but I agreed to allow him to pay me via PayPal "gift" option but told him I would not ship until the money was in my bank account because in the past PayPal has locked my account for suspicious activity.  The bidder agreed and ended up really driving up my auction.  I was still suspicious of a scam, but he won the auction and promptly sent money via PayPal.  He was happy because he could pay with a card and I was happy because the item sold for a lot more than I would have expected.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wait, Your bank is hundreds of miles away???:o 

For 7 months I lived in Norfolk Virginia. I had a local bank that I kept about $100 in, so I had a bank where I could cash my paycheck.

My bank, where I had an account since I was 14 years old, and most of my money was, was back home in Florida. About 900 miles away.

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

A lot of people have switched to internet banking like Chase bank.  They don’t have a local branch.  You deposit checks by direct deposit or taking a picture of it on your phone.  Pay all your bills online.  Live on plastic.  You can get an atm card for cash.  The ATM owner usually charges $3 per withdrawal whether it is $20 or $200.  That being said, I wouldn’t trust that buyer either.

Well good for them, I prefer a bank that has at least a few branches local.

I do most of my banking with USAA.  They are located in San Antonio, Tx, some 1,000 miles away.  I get to use any ATM for free and they are great to work with.  I do have a small savings account at a local bank just so I can get my hands on cash, if necessary.  I have to go by the local bank and deposit $20 every year or so or they classify my account as inactive.

Archived